Virginia Governor's Race and US Election 2017 - America Fights Back?

Ted Lieu (D-CA 33) plays n-dimensional chess.

That tweet is so savage, Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan are bowing down saying they’re not worthy.

I can’t imagine Lieu’s in danger of losing an election anytime soon. Could use a lot more Lieus and Kanders in Washington.

59% of Maine voters that turned out yesterday voted to expand Medicaid coverage. And here is Gov. LePage’s response.
IMG_1628

Rule of law, huh? What a fucking ass.

LePage is like trump, only without the intelligence and charm.

I mean… I know that’s the case, even if a lot of people don’t want to believe it.

People were given a roll of the populist dice or Hillary Clinton. They rolled the dice because they knew they didn’t want Clinton.

BTW and for the record, Virginia voting mechanics:

We vote with paper ballots that are essentially scantron sheets, like for an SAT. Darken the bubble for your choice. Then each voter personally puts the paper sheet into a ballot box that scans the ballot number for the ballot. A poll worker stands by and can help you with putting your ballot into the ballot box feeder, but they’re not supposed to touch it.

Then the results are counted from that. The counting process is computerized, but there is a paper trail created, with hard copy ballots.

Same for Iowa.

The fact that the GOP is going full Trump and doubling down on “this didn’t mean anything” might be the best part of this.
It means they’ll keep doing what they’re doing and get utterly destroyed. Hopefully once that happens they’ll listen to the rational voices or just collapse completely and our nation can get back to working correctly.

It’s the same here in Missouri, on the Kansas City side of the State, at least. I love that there’s a paper trail.

A paper trail should be required everywhere.

What’s the deal with the three parentheses? I thought that was some kind of anti semitic tag? I’m so confused about Twitter semiotics.

So is Virginia 50/50 or is Virginia “maybe 50/50, but we won’t know and it definitely could change after we finish counting the votes over the next week or two”?

It is. Tons of people co-opted it to mock the anti-Semites and show support of those they target.

So. By exit polling, Ed Gillespie won independents (Virginia is not a state that requires voters to pick a party or go indie).

If I’d have told y’all on Monday evening that Gillespie was going to win independents, you’d be like “Holy shit, Northam is toast.”

So dig: Party ID in Virginia yesterday (again, exit polling so not perfect):

Republicans: 30%
Independents: 28%
Democrats: 41%

As Chuck Todd just noted, those are Massachusetts-style numbers. And Gillespie barely winning indies, suggests that a lot of those are people like Timex or Strollen here: longtime Republicans who for the moment at hand at least, call themselves independent because they want no part of the Trump Republican party.

I’m not sure exactly what that all means, but it’s interesting as hell. ;)

Now if those Independents could just get together and make a political party, we might be in business. They nearly outnumber the GOP and odds are they could get a bunch to come over if they did it right.

There ought to be a political party based on this guy’s ideology.

https://twitter.com/ArthurDayne1/status/927779229957312513

The Radical Middle!!

Interesting piece about voting rights restored under Gov. Terry McAuliffe and returning citizens participation in the VA election.

“I now felt like a citizen. I now felt like I will make a difference in some kind of way. Just bubbling in them little circles, it’s like power, it’s power,” Williams said just after she voted, displaying two “I voted” stickers with American flags on her jacket. “If you had asked me maybe a year and a half, two years ago, I would’ve said, no, I didn’t never think I would vote.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/virginia-restoration-of-voting-rights_us_5a026556e4b092053058cd0e?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

New Virginia Majority is a kick ass organization.