Virginia Governor's Race and US Election 2017 - America Fights Back?

Only this year? :)

I have no room to talk, we have no elections at all in my corner of Michigan. Nothing for state, county, or local. A few things in the surrounding area in other cities, but nothing for me to vote on.

Looks like Wyoming has seceded from Google.

We’re doing a runoff election here in Raleigh for our mayor because no candidate crossed the 50% majority threshold last month. The current mayor, Nancy McFarlane, is a kind of bland but relatively engaged business-loving technocrat who identifies as Independent and at least gives lip-service to things like diversity measures and affordable housing amidst the area’s record-setting growth and income inflation, and admittedly, her power to do much about things like traffic and the payscales offered down the highway in Research Triangle Park is limited, and for a lot of people in Raleigh, things are basically Boomtown right now.

But I was initially intrigued by a Democratic challenger, a local defense attorney running as a Democrat and strongly criticizing the existing mayor’s tepid response to affordable housing measures and general unwillingness to “take a stand”/“pick a side.” It was a reasonable angle of attack; one could argue McFarlane hasn’t done much but ride the gravy train of multinational conglomerate money that’s rushing into our area and that a more policy-heavy approach could help keep that rising tide of money from drowning out more disadvantaged people and communities, and of course, other things in Raleigh aren’t perfect by any means.

Except, well, Francis’s campaign never really got past whinging on about how he’d get more homes for poor people and how Nancy wasn’t good at her job. The actual policy layout is pretty disappointing, while the incumbent’s camp have done a good job of playing the “things are great right now for almost everyone, and we’ve made some token efforts toward looking out for the rest, so why change now just so you can get a (D) after the name on the TV news?”

Without a ton of detail on exactly how he’d push through a significantly more egalitarian agenda, I’ll admit I’m not quite as hot on Francis as I was when I first voted a month ago.

I think I’ll still pull the ballot for him this afternoon, as between Vaguely Left Leaning Person A and Left Leaning Person Who Thinks Person A Leans Left Too Vaguely, well, the latter’s more my style, but it’s hard to argue that things are going wrong under McFarlane.

And that’s several paragraphs on a completely immaterial mayoral election in NC, but it’s all I get to vote on today ,so deal with it.

C0C5F46F-1FF1-49A7-B459-9615C3A85237

That’s where we’re at in Portland too. Politicians are paying lip-service to the idea that something should be done about the housing crisis, but they don’t have the guts to propose any real solution to it.

The election notice on my door each of the past 3 days says to call 844-482-8683 for voter assistance

Trump has a 43 percent job approval on the MSNBC exit polls which seems kinda high *starts to panic*

COPY and PASTE for latecomers to this thread:

Northern Virginia reports late. Very late.

That’s just mean.

And yet kinda awesome at the same time, right?

If you say so …

(yes, heh.)

Early exits appear to slightly favor Northam. Grain of salt the size of J. Walter Weatherman’s missing arm…

Dude you freaked the fuck out of me!

Imagine those of us watching that in real time on Twitter before 7…:D

(I just wanted everyone to share my complete disbelief and stomach-pitting…)