Vista SP1 RTMs, but MS screws the pooch again

I’ve been having trouble with Firefox hanging right after starting up. I can’t necessarily pin it on SP1 directly since it works fine if I start a new profile, implying it’s something in my old profile triggering it, but it’s awfully coincidental…

(It’s a bare-bones Firefox, too, with no extensions installed at all and just the usual multimedia plugins showing up.)

Yeah, cough, bullshit.

Hmmm, Crysis in DX10 mode is a little wonky now, too; at the main menu, the cursor appears to be offset from where it thinks it is, so I have to have it a bit to the lower right of where I actually want to click. It won’t let the cursor go all the way to the left, but it’s still bounded by the screen on the right, so there are some buttons I can’t click at all now. DX9 mode still works fine, at least.

Edit: Okay, maybe not, it looks like this was being reported by others long before SP1 as a resolution mismatch problem, so it’s just coincidence that I’m only seeing it now and in DX10 in my few tests.

Does it seem all that unlikely that the crowd who go out of their way to buy Vista are also more likely hardcore and therefore more likely to want to buy the full feature set?

Home Premium is a better deal than Ultimate, IMO. Ultimate’s only extras are a backup program, encryption for files, support for Enterprise-level domains, and some free downloadable games and DreamScene. Other than that everything else is in Home Premium (Aero, Media Center, etc). I can’t imagine that anyone except for game developers at large corporations like EA will be using Ultimate.

P.S. I still hate iTunes for hard-locking my computer when I plug my iPod in.

I don’t disagree, but all the same it wouldn’t surprise me if most people who bought Vista by itself bought Ultimate because power-users don’t like to feel they’re missing out on anything, and frankly, because many of them probably didn’t check the differences too closely.

Ultimate also supports remote desktop connections (although premium can be hacked to do it, and you can always run VNC) and all of the various plugins for user accounts, etc, which are nice to have although not essential.

I just ran into another difference that might trip people up – Vista SP1 uses the same remote desktop client as Server 2008 now, and you have to use the /admin flag instead of /console if you want to attach to the physical console session of a Server 2003 machine.

Yeah but ultimate only cost me $40 with the little msecompanystore.com coupon they hand out at Microsoft events sometimes. So … meh. No big deal. Had I purchased retail though, yep I agree, Ultimate didn’t offer enough at it’s price point.

I’ve still yet to install though. My newegg system arrives next week, I’ll be closer to the SP1 point then.

SP1 kills Crysis performance by a third! In one specific, weird case, anyway. Looks like decent performance increases overall, though. Can’t say I’ve really noticed it myself, but the closer it get back to XP’s level, the better.

Well, on the bright side this is the only case SP1 ruined performance, and it’s an unplayable scenario to begin with, so it might be related to a worse handling of over-extreme conditions (nice to know you can bring 2 GTX to their knees…)

Well the new system came and it’s been loaded up. A total of 48 auto-updates and 5 manual updates. Still no firm date on the open-public SP1 timeline?

“Mid-March” is the only official date I’ve heard so far, though some people have pinpointed March 18 for some reason. It kind of makes sense though; patches have usually been released on Tuesdays, and it’s one week after the usual monthly security patches, to avoid conflicts (or at least to let you clearly divide up the blame between them).

That works for me. I could always get it from work and carry it home but I’d rather just do everything there.

I also loaded up OneCare (MS’s new anti-virus/malware), which surprisingly told me I was missing yet more updates.