Volition is good

But why don’t they sell as well? Just finished Red Faction 2, yeah its no Half Life but its a solid shooter, albeit lessened since it was a console port. As well I thought both Summoner 1 and 2 were very good solid titles. So they have three good series of games in Freespace, Red Faction and Summoner… whats the deal? I think if they stuck with PC first and console second they would have made BETTER and more POPULAR games with Red Faction and Summoner. If anything most shooters should be PC first anyway.

And I really like the Summoner gameworld. It 's not too dark (like most crpgs) and not too console colorful, it has a nice mix of east/west influences without being blatant. I really hope they make another one… but it’ll probably end up in the realm of the Freespace franchise (dead).

etc

Summoner 2 has an even better gameworld - much larger, much more detailed.

The first Red Faction sold well. It became a PS2 Greatest Hits title.

yeah I picked up Summoner 2 for GC last month… dareisay I liked it as much as I like Kotor now (though I’m still on Taris in Kotor). Its a solid game with great visualsl. I REALLY think it would be a great pc game if they made the character development a bit more complex, added difficulty modes, and added a mp like Summoner 1.

And the gameworld in both games is really, hard to pin down, but its believable and wonderous. I like the names and places and the legends of the world… its not as hardcore as Tamriel or as generic as Norrath, it feels both exotic and classic fantasy. Its hard to do that in a game imo. The only other fantasy gameworld that I thought had great production values (but never got mention) was the TAK gameworld of Darien. It all seemed to fit well in that game too.

Since I’m on the topic of fantasy gameworlds, some are really kind of boring and unrealistic, like Gothic, Wizardry 8 and Divine Divinity, but the games were good anyway… odd…

etc

I guess I’m just whining about Summoner then!

etc

You liked Red Faction 2? :shock:
I thought it looked like crap and the fact that it had no multiplayer killed any promise for me. I was hoping more games would push the destructable environment aspect of gaming but RF2 killed those hopes.
Gah.

But why don’t they sell as well? Just finished Red Faction 2, yeah its no Half Life but its a solid shooter, albeit lessened since it was a console port.
But that’s one aspect of it. E.g. I don’t have too much time time to play games these days, and there are so many great games out there now. I wouldn’t want to spend whatever time is left on a ‘solid’ title.

It looked like crap and the dialogue was pure cheese (and I let out a long groan when the zombies showed up) but the pacing was perfect and the weapons were lotsa fun. Its a great bargain bin title. multiplayer wouldve been great had they implemented more than bot-play.

Yeah, Summoner’s world is one of the better ones to be found in crpgs. Very rich and believable. The gameplay in S2 bogged down for me though, I can’t remember the specific boss, but it was way deep into the other planes of existence. I think I would have preferred less venturing into Doctor Strange territory (although I did love the third-rate Italo Calvino/Gene Wolfe feel to some of that stuff) and more asskicking in the “real” world. The other-dimensional levels just went on and on and on, so I eventually got bored and quit.

Volition’s stuff is all very solid, which is the main thing I really appreciate about it.

Yeah, Summoner’s world is one of the better ones to be found in crpgs. Very rich and believable. The gameplay in S2 bogged down for me though, I can’t remember the specific boss, but it was way deep into the other planes of existence. I think I would have preferred less venturing into Doctor Strange territory (although I did love the third-rate Italo Calvino/Gene Wolfe feel to some of that stuff) and more asskicking in the “real” world. The other-dimensional levels just went on and on and on, so I eventually got bored and quit.[/quote]

Kind of hard to avoid, when the central tenet of the plot is that you’re a goddess.

RF2 was a crappy port job of a mediocre and short FPS. Add in no MP and you have well…not much. Thats not going to cut it for a FPS on the PC and it showed with the collective yawn the game recieved.

“The first Red Faction sold well. It became a PS2 Greatest Hits title.”

I wonder how much that had to do with there not being much of anything FPS wise on the PS2 at the time. Kind of a hit by default sive there wasn’t much of any competition for PS2 gamrs that wanted a shooter.

Good point, but I don’t think it’s an excuse for unengaging gameplay. The planar stuff just got really monotonous and dull for me, partly due to the vague and untethered feel it had. I guess it’s not so much the setting I minded (although it does make it harder to have the story feel “grounded”) as the fact that the writers and/or designers weren’t really able to make me care past a certain point. I really enjoyed the first half of the game, and I was into the planar stuff at first, but then it just went on for way too long.

Well, I was never trying to argue that it should be a defense for unengaging gameplay, primarily because I didn’t find that portion of the game unengaging at all. I was just saying that it would be awfully odd to be the incarnation of a goddess, and never leave the “regular world”. God, I’m such a D&D nerd - I wanted to say “prime material plane” there.

I’m still stuck in the planar realms in S2! But even then the game is still pretty good, (I like how they handle the action/tactical combat). I still like alot of crpg’s even if I don’t finish them. I always have the vague notion that I don’t want to ‘finish’ them because then its finally over. But anyway, here’s hoping they make a Summoner 3, and for PC only.

etc

:D

That’s a wonderful term; it briefly expresses a deep aesthetic divide. I’ll use it whenever I have to explain why I’m not interested in owning a Nofriendo.

I thought Red Faction 2 had bad timing. Plenty of other FPS on the market along with flashier ones making their debut at the same time. There’s no question some games benefit greatly from shrewd scheduling.

I’m going to agree with some others here. Red Faction 2 was just bad. It wasn’t even as good as the first one, which really wasn’t great to begin with. The GeoMod thing was cool, until you realized it played very little part in the game. And hell, what’s the use of it if you still have to find the key to a door – why can’t I just blow it to hell like I do other doors, walls, etc.

Lame. Here’s hoping there won’t even be a Red Faction 3, because at this rate, it’d just suck. But at least it’d be really short.

The GeoMod was terribly disappointing. It was never useful except in a few narrowly defined situations where you HAD to use it.

Summoner and Summoner 2 had always seemed not quite worth my time, but I’m not sure now that you mention these two guys (although I’m assuming that the Volition work is not written nearly as well as theirs). The demo I played for 2 didn’t manage to hold my interest at all, but for RPG’s I’m willing to cut some gameplay slack if the story intrigues me. How did their setting resemble Calvino and Wolfe?

Also, which Calvino works do you recommend? I’ve only read a couple of his books.

The Geomod was fun in multiplayer. There’s nothing like blowing a hole in the floor and dropping down behind the other guy’s back.