Voter ID Laws

it’s not voter ID that’s being challenged in NC, it’s the gerrymandering.

I still think the best solution would be attaching an optional photo ID to social security at no charge, and mandating that any place must accept that as a form of valid ID for all elections with the photo ID.

You mean to a social security card. We have enough identity theft as it is. We shouldn’t have people running around with those card. in fact, they should just ban the use of SSN in the commercial realm entirely. That’s not what that number is for and there isn’t a good system in place for when it’s stolen.

You don’t have to put the photo on the same card as the number, in fact that would be stupid. You’d create another card, with no number or a different number, simply as proof that the person in the photo has been verified as having a SSN, and thus identified by the state.

So you’d have the “real” social security card become invalid without the addition of the photo identification social security card? And what exactly is this solving the the state run photo identification systems can’t do? Not related to the logic of the idea, it seems unlikely the states would be that quick to give that over to the Federal Government, and at what age are the children supposed to start getting their photo’s in this database?

Having a real social security card would actually be useful, since the current socially security card is a joke. Pretty sure I could counterfeit mine with crayons.

I think you misunderstand how these are properly checked. Have you run your fingers over the card lately. It’s not flat ink which is not cheap to replicate. Too many employers just don’t check properly. There are a lot of checkpoints for fake cards.

Yeah… It’s really not that hard to counterfeit, especially since you can just have an old one. Hell, mine is a worn piece of paper that I’ve had for like 20 years now.

It’s by all measures a joke compared to modern identification.

Yeah I think you’re wrong. I think you look at it at as a piece of paper easy to replicate when it’s specific stock using specific ink with raised columns and cutting… it’s not that easy. Most of the fakes I saw go through our employment office were easy to spot… small businesses just don’t have the resources to train everyone properly, but at the time ICE would come in and present it to you. They’re “perfect” replicas they showed… we could catch once we knew what to look for.

And by the way, if your card is damaged, anyone who requires it should require you to get a new one… and not accept your damaged card.

An odd kind of turn of events, in that they apparently allowed Clinton supporters caucus in Nevada without registering.

Kyle Olsen: cowriter with Glenn Beck on a book, also writer of such amazing articles as Teachers Union, ACORN and Bill Ayers Beg U.N. to Stop Chicago School Closings (note that ACORN went defunct three years before that article), and other insightful stuff. I think I’ll wait to see corroboration of such claims, just in case there’s something not exactly matching up with reality.

Why not just require a national ID card. Issue it to very kid at 16 or 18 with updates every 5 years or so. And free, always free.

My SSN card is 50+ years old. You are instructed to not even carry them anymore, as opposed to long ago when you were supposed to have it.

MARK OF THE BEAST

…no seriously, that’s why we don’t. Because Jesus.

Yeah, any SS card from before 83 basically has no anti counterfeit features… And yet is still valid. According to the social security administration, there are currently 47 valid forms of the card, lol.

Beat me to it.

Just watched John Oliver’s excellent segment on Voter ID laws from a couple weeks ago:

The way he showed members of congress actively committing voter fraud was pretty depressing.

I watched this recently too… The one scene where they are all spinning around and hitting each other’s voting buttons was insane.

It reminded me of a time when a guy in the PA house ended up being arrested for fraud, because he was charging the state for being at the capital (doing his job) when it came out that he was actually at home.

Turns out, he had taped a penny to the “Aye” button on his desk. He just automatically voted Aye for everything that came up.

And what’s really sick is that doing that isn’t what he got arrested for. It was the fraud of charging the state for his expenses when he wasn’t actually there. For the life of me I can’t remember what his name was though.

How many people can produce original birth cert, original SS card, etc.?

I have my original birth certificate. I think think the SS card is the same, but I am not that old either. Some of my older relatives have theirs but a few of them made mistakes and laminated them which is a huge no-no. No one should be carrying their SSN cards in their pockets anymore although a lot of elderly still do (by elderly I mean the Medicare population), and some of the Vets I’ve encountered do too.

There is no such things as a perfect system. There will never be one. The recent SSN cards are not easily reproduced and can be caught for fraud… their paper status does not change that.