Voter ID Laws

Kander is my kind of Democrat. I’m sorry he didn’t get elected to the senate, but I feel he’s got a future in politics.

That was a good speech, thanks for pulling that.

That was something. Thank you for posting.

So, voter fraud is for prominent Republicans what sex with prostitutes is for prominent Christians; sort of a “do as I say, not as I do” situation.

I, uh… I just don’t know what to say. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/us/election-fraud-voter-ids.html

Of the 860,000 Nebraskans who cast ballots in last fall’s election, only two are suspected of casting fraudulent votes. But while the actual number of illegal voters may be minuscule, State Senator John Murante says, there is an even better reason for Nebraska’s legislature to crack down on fraud at the ballot box.

“First and foremost, we know the confidence that Americans and Nebraskans have in the election system is at an all-time low,” said Mr. Murante, a Republican who is backing a constitutional amendment that would require all voters to display photo IDs. “The perception exists that voter fraud is a serious issue, and that perception itself has to be addressed.”

There are probably 2 people of 850,000 who believe the earth is flat and moon landing was faked too. We should probably spend a lot of money and time helping with that perception too.

But only if the cure to that problem targets minority voters, or else it really isn’t a solution.

This isn’t exactly Voter ID, but this seems like the closest thread we have for gerrymandering discussion. Here in Michigan we have a group working to put a state constitutional amendment on the ballot next year to establish an independent commission for redistricting. I went to one of their town hall meetings yesterday. Good turnout, more than 100 people. Hardly surprising considering the current political climate, which bodes well for the chances of getting this on the ballot. Hopefully the interest stays strong through the next few months, so signatures can be gathered for the ballot measure, and into next year for the actual vote.

Rigging the elections? Sure, let’s make it a law:

Honestly, Kobach might win the prize for the most unabashedly evil member of the GOP. I know there are lots of contenders, but he is true racist slime.

Hate to think where we’d be without groups like the ACLU. It’s going to be bad enough with them.

Just a reminder.

So you don’t have to get a driver’s license in the county you’re in right? I don’t suppose they can muster a bunch of buses real quick and start shuttle services

Problem in teh Deep South is that the Dems just don’t have that much organized personnel structure for such activity.

This shit should be illegal, and the courts are too slow to address something that happens in two days.

It sounds like those two things are reportedly unrelated? They passed those stricter voter ID laws, and by coincidence, Alabama was having a budget crisis and they closed driver license bureaus in those counties. That AL.com article it links to said they already had voter ID laws before this, but this law made it more strict. Does anyone have more details on that? I agree you have to have some way to prove you are who you say you are. You can’t just go to the voting both and have them take your word for it. But what was the details of this stricter Voter ID law passed in 2014?

If you require the ID you should be required to keep the offices that provide those IDs open. They’re related.

I agree with you, if only because of the law. But people should give a little more than a passing damn when they don’t take the time to register to vote or get their ID’s in a timely manner. The problem is people don’t care about voting and make no effort to do so.

What a deceitful scumbag.

There’s certainly truth to that considering the low turnout America routinely sees, but injecting that in the middle of pointing out how one ethnicity is specifically targeting a minority, a formerly enslaved one, by putting barriers up between them and the polls is not something I’d feel necessary to do.