Voter ID Laws

Populism DID work towards redistributing wealth. Didja see that tax bill!

Accident as a black woman = 5 years

On purpose as a white woman = $750 fine

My buddy is a public defender and recommends to his clients all the time (situationally of course) to take a short prison/jail sentence over parole. Parole is just a way for them to throw you on prison/jail for even longer, because it gets exponentially easier for them to get you on a new charge and the list of things you can be charged for grows considerably. Chances are they were watching and waiting for the woman at the top to slip up to put her away, it’s business as usual.

Talking to him has made me completely disillusioned about the justice system. Florida (recently?) amended law to specifically remove all mention to rehabilitation. It’s literally all about punishment now.

Note: IANAL.

Sounds like it’s well past time someone starts helping people secure some form of state-issued ID.

New Jersey just made AVR law after years of Chris Christie vetoing AVR bills that hit his desk.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/kobach-contempt-order

Judge Julie Robinson in her decision Wednesday bashed Kobach’s failure to send postcards to voters whose registrations were restored by her previous move to block the proof-of-citizenship requirement for the 2016 election.

That’s great and all, but since it’s a federal judge, Trump will simply pardon Kobach out of any actual ramifications for his (in)actions, and he knows it.

That is exactly what I thought as well.

Kobach really is spectacularly useless

A statement that CERTAINLY is not worth arguing, lol

Christ, this dude got his BA from Harvard, M.A. and Ph.D. from Oxford, and a law degree from Yale. But even with those credentials he’s a monumental fuckup as a lawyer. Is this the kind of person that can ace exams without studying, but yet puts metal dishes in the microwave and can barely remember how to tie his shoelaces?

If Ben Carson can be considered one of the world’s greatest brain surgeons then anything is possible.

I’m pretty sure that’s not possible.

Trump can pardon someone convicted of criminal contempt, like Arpaio. Criminal contempt is a crime, and the accused has the right to a trial, followed by sentencing, etc.

But this looks like the more common variety of contempt, civil contempt. There is no trial, and no sentence. It’s more of a way to pressure someone to obey a judge. Sometimes it involves jail, but even then it isn’t a sentence because someone in jail for civil contempt can walk out at any time if they agree to cooperate with the judge (as they say, they “hold the keys to their own cell”). Since there is no actual prosecution, conviction, or sentence, there is also nothing to pardon.

Meanwhile in Arizona…

The election is Today, FWIW and none have gone out since December…

California has now passed same day voter registration!

That’s a pretty big deal.

New York lags terribly behind, as far as a state with a large left-leaning population. And it’s hard to see Cuomo getting behind AVR or same-day VR.

The local paper here is reporting that absentee ballots have been returned so far in almost record low numbers. I can only imagine it is because there is no hot button item on the ballot.

McConnell helping steal a SCOTUS seat is paying dividends.

But get this, not only did the judge strike the law down, he dropped a penalty on Kris Kobach.

Which is awesome: