Voter ID Laws

This is my surprised face. The article makes it sound like the newspaper was the first group to catch and report on the discrepancy - so internal auditing was either poor or non-existent.

From the article:

Last-chance notices went to 235,610 registrants in July, telling them they had until Sept. 6 to respond to the notice or update their registrations. As of Friday morning, 10,424 voters had taken action to avoid being purged.

That’s a heck of a lot of purges about to happen in less than two weeks.

Not exactly voter ID but close…today I went down to the township offices and volunteered for an hour or so, stuffing envelopes with absentee voting registrations. The clerk said that requests for absentee voting more than doubled here in Michigan since the passage of no-excuse absentee voting last year. Before, you basically had to have a note from your doctor or boss, excusing you from coming to the precinct on voting day. The huge increase in applications really drives home just how much people want voting to be easier…and how simple it is to do it. I’d love to see Michigan move to all-mail voting like Washington does!

The act of voting should never be the hard part to voting in this date and age. I’ve voted by mail my entire voting life. I can’t even imagine doing it another way.

It’d be fascinating to know exactly what our government would like if we had 100% voter participation. Obviously we’ll never get to that lofty level but I’d love to know how it’d look.

Hello President Kanye

Age requirements remain.

Especially with an almost 20% error rate:

So the statewide voter ID requirement passed in 2018 in NC will go into effect next year. I haven’t seen any of the training material, but we will see how it works soon.

If it’s like most election procedures, it will not be a forensically trained election official verifying a person’s real ID and the authenticity of the photo and documentation. The procedures simply require the VOTER to present what THEY KNOW is a legal and valid ID, and the poll worker is just there to record that they have done that. Nobody will be turned away if they present a photo ID drawn with crayon, they will just be duly recorded as they commit a crime and their ballot disallowed before canvas date, and a later visit with a nice sheriff. Poll workers are mostly temps, barely above minimum wage workers with a couple hours of training, and they are NOT there to act as LAW ENFORCEMENT, just to implement the procedures, make sure the voters are aware of legal requirements, and record their adherence or lack thereof.

https://www.ncsbe.gov/Voter-ID

For most of us it’s easy. Show your license or passport or approved photo ID. I don’t like it for a number of reasons, but the actual implementation will be fairly straightforward for -most- of us here at QT3. Some of my aging relatives, not so much.

http://lawsandsausagescomic.com/comic/2201

That particular comic is about crime and voting rights. But I recommend reading the whole Laws and Sausages archive, it’s great.

Effectively this is going to be toothless. The amount of IDs accepted is pretty vast, and not only are poll workers not motivated to DQ folks, the Dems have someone at every poll site ready to pounce on any poll workers who try anything. This is one of the good things the precincts have done, and I am considering becoming one in 2020 to help out.

Probably most poll workers are not in it to “try anything”, they are just cogs in the machine getting people through the line. If there are disputes, people will be shunted into voting provisional ballots, so the real battles will be the week after the election as the board of elections officials decide how to interpret the law and which provisional ballots count. That is where we really need observers.

The good news is that in NC- Dems have pretty strong control of the courts, and they got elected to stop Republicans. This is what has blunted gerrymandering some now.

The NC Dems blundered into a good strategy to fight gerrymandering, which was to win the non-gerrymandered Supreme Court- and pack that with judges who will proclaim as many Republican power grabs as possible unconsitutional.

Unfortunately, the Wisconsin Dems haven’t figured that one out yet.

Shocker! Kansas Voter ID law found Unconstitutional:

In a major ruling, a 10th Circuit panel (consisting of 2 judges, as a third judge on the panel had passed away), a Tenth Circuit panel has held that a Kansas anti-voting law championed by former Secretary of State Kris Kobach violated both the Constitution’s equal protection clause and was preempted by the federal motor-voter law.

PA Judge not accepting the BS:

I’m sure that evidence is going to be compelling.

Isn’t the number like 12 in 100 million for the entire nation?

Currently, it is being compelled ;)