Voting for President; why fucking bother?

This actually isn’t true as long as you lie about voting.

If you really want to make the USA a better place, start by making it a better place. If you want the poor fed, feed them. If you want to stop kicking the illegals out, start sponsoring visas. If you want to fix the infrastructure, start a business for building better infrastructure. Obviously, you can’t do everything on your own or by getting a gang of fellows who want things better to do it – can’t end the war quite so easily.

The reason voting feels like an empty gesture is that if it’s not part of your life plan to actively do things a certain way, it actually is an empty gesture.

Of course, you could just stop caring. That’s also an option.

Keep in mind that if you don’t vote you lose the right to bitch and moan about how shit the government is.

It’s a good thing the rest of the first world exists as a starving wasteland with worse health care, lower wages and lower social mobility object lesson to show us how ineffective social democracy funded through taxation of the super-rich and the upper middle class is.

Or maybe I got it all backwards there.

try doing this all at once:

www.democracygame.com

It’s not just a shameless plug. I tried to make an accurate simulation, and getting the stuff you suggest done without everything falling apart is NOT as easy as you think.
Not without closing the borders and imposing martial law anyway.
You can do as much long term thinking as you like, but will the voters actually give you the benefit of the doubt in 5 years? And big business can invest where the hell it likes, you need to keep them happy. (In a capitalist system obviously).

It seems I’ve left my youthful idealism behind somewhere…

You can abstain. The only requirement is that you make the effort to deliberately say so. Taking an hour out of your life every five years for the right to live in a working democracy seems pretty fair. In fact, people all over the world risk their lives for that right.

George Carlin:
I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around – they say, ‘If you don’t vote, you have no right to complain’, but where’s the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people into office who screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem; you voted them in; you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who in fact did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with.

George Carlin:
How come you never see a guy taking a shit while running at full speed?

So, I wasn’t joking about the $100.

Oh, come now, the Pyramids are still standing.

Ironically, I think Shelley is one of the lesser studied of the 6 English Romantics.

Yes, I was joking. If a person with a basic grasp of history living in a modern country today believes human societies are incapable of improving their political systems, he is not looking clearly at things.

Spoken like a secular humanist.

I’m one too, but shift6 apparently is not.