VPN / Dedicated server

Yes, Mozilla is slightly cheaper, but as I recall it doesn’t support MacOS for some reason.

It’s about more than just the protocol, PIA supports Wireguard too now but I would never recommend anyone use it.

Personally, I run a wireguard server at home and just VPN into my house. I have gigabit internet and this is how I access all my home server stuff. It also runs adguard home for adblocking. Beauty of wireguard is you can just leave it on 24/7.

Out of curiosity why would you not recommend Wireguard?
EDIT: Or do you mean PIA? - You wouldn’t recommend PIA?

Right, PIA is to some degree run by criminals and fraudsters. They hired Mark Karpeles as their CTO.

Gotcha. Thanks :)

Well I am still using Nord, as I am paid up till summer, they seem to always be listed in the top 3.

Might give Mullvad or maybe Mozilla a try then. Its crazy there are so many to choose from now.

It’s 2021, bandwidth is super-cheap, so they’re hugely profitable. The fact is most people have zero need of a VPN, they offer no meaningful privacy gains, so it’s all successful marketing.

Interesting. PIA used to be highly recommended. I took advantage of a deal at some point that gives me VPN service through March 2023, so I’m stuck with them for a while. No complaints though… VPN has been reliable and their customer support is excellent.

No real call to switch immediately, use up your paid time then make a decision. I just wouldn’t recommend them for a new user.

Really, I wouldn’t recommend a VPN at all because most people have no use for them in the first place. There are only a couple real use-cases.

1. Piracy
  2. Evading geo-blocking. Viewing US netflix in Peru, getting to the real internet in China, etc.
  3. Evading content blocking. Facebook at work, etc.

If you don’t meet one of those three criteria, you don’t need a VPN and are wasting your money. Pretty much every site on the internet uses SSL so nobody can track what you’re up to via network sniffing anyway, only which CDNs you’re connected to.

And your results may be hit or miss with #2. You can’t get around streaming geo-blocking with most VPNs anymore, for example. Some services do have special setups to avoid it, but often it’s an extra charge.

Bitdefender just sent me this excellent offer:

birdefender

I was tempted, and you saved me £10. I’m going to buy some beer instead. Thank you.

Yep, what I said remains true today. It’s a waste of money unless you meet one of those 3 use-cases.

I personally VPN to my home from work because I don’t want my job seeing where I’m browsing, not that anyone actually cares. It’s also very useful on my phone because my home LAN blocks ads at the DNS level with adguard home, so I just leave the wireguard VPN on 24/7. I do have a very fast home internet connection, if yours is slow you probably don’t want to do that.

Yeah I decided to let my Nord expire then I bounced to PIA VPN and then let that expire last month, I eventually realized half the time I didn’t have it on, the other half the time I had it on and couldn’t get to Amazon or whatever other sites the VPN just refused to connect to. Haven’t missed it yet.