VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

400$ deal is so close to being worth it. God I wish I could spend that much on something. Stupid wedding, and saving for a house, and stupid 600 dollar car repair bill.

Echo Arena and Lone Echo just released. Echo Arena is free to own forever if you download it within the first 3 months, sponsored by Intel.

I am in Canada and ordered last Thursday through Oculus and other than a reply email saying order received I’ve got nothing. It hasn’t been shipped yet. Any Canadians get theirs shipped yet?

I haven’t ordered one yet, so I can’t comment on their shipping updates, but I do have a few words of caution for Canadians ordering direct from Oculus:

When I bought my last DK2, I got dinged with taxes and duty at delivery to the tune of 15% + other fees on my order. I mean sure it’s fair, but Oculus doesn’t really mention where the order is coming from, so they get away with not charging taxes up-front because they’ll probably be collected upon delivery.

From my experience, once it does actually ship at least it arrives pretty quick!

2:20 pm I ask on QT3 about Oculus Rift shipping

3:46 pm I get an email from Oculus that it has shipped

QT3 is awesome and extremely powerful

So let it be written…

Here’s the latest word from Amazon for those of us who ordered before 7/15 and haven’t received our shipment yet:

Note on Availability:
Due to much higher than expected customer demand, any outstanding orders submitted prior to Saturday, 15th July 2017 will be shipped between 24th July 2017 and 7th August 2017. Orders will be fulfilled in the order in which they were received.

Got mine today. After spending a good long while before realizing “could not connect to Oculus server” means “clear out some HD space”, I got it up and running.

Unfortunately, my glasses won’t fit inside the headset, so everything’s pretty blurry, but I was able to enjoy the demos. It looks like I’ll need to grab the prescription lens inserts posted upthread. Anyone have any experience with those?

That really sucks about your glasses! Mine fit OK and I have a giant head, but my face is pretty flat and my glasses sit near my face. I’ve heard good things about those inserts, though!

Has anyone tried using their oculus with an external GPU? My desktop is in Nigeria and I’m in LA where my gaming setup is my laptop and a razer core. Wondering if there is going to be a substantial performance hit.

Apparently Oculus has a new SKU which combines the normal headset + touch combo into one package. The downside is that it no longer includes a remote or Xbox controller. People were speculating that they were going to debut this new package after the sale, but given the popularity of the sale they’ve sold out of the old stock, and will be shipping this out to even recent purchasers.

So if you’re on the fence and there’s old stock in B&M stores near you, might be a good idea to hop on.

I"m not sure why but for some reason the description of your head really cracked me up and I imagined it as part of a dating site description: “I have a giant head, but my face is pretty flat.”

ol flat face McMaster

Flatty McFlatface!

So despite not being able to see clearly without my specs, I went ahead and loaded up some VR games from the library, and the results were pretty varied.

Elite Dangerous runs and looks great, but with all the tiny text that I couldn’t read, I couldn’t do much other than move around.

AAAaaaAAA!! for the Awesome (the falling game) won’t load into the HMD at all. I just get a split screen on my normal monitor. I tried all the VR launch options and get the same result with all.

Dirt Rally - Loads and plays fine, but the audio is coming out the normal speakers instead of the headset. I did actually finish not-last for the first time ever, despite not being able to see much or understanding a thing the…spotter? co-pilot? hobo in passenger seat? is saying.

Anyone know what I need to do to correct the last two?

Also, I tried Google Earth VR, and it’s pretty amazing. Looks terrible at ground level - everything’s a jumbled mass of polygons, but at the right altitude, you can feel just like Godzilla.

There’s a setting in SteamVR to switch audio devices to and fro when it starts and ends. This should fix most games that run via SteamVR and don’t properly use the Rift audio.

Failing that you can do it manually by going to Playback Devices in Windows and setting Rift Headphones to default, then set back to your speakers when done. There’s also a 3rd party util called Oculus Tray Tool that can automate that process for you. But it’s rarely required, most things play nicely.

I bit at the first of the sale and got the full bundle, I’ve had it running for five days or so. Lone Echo is a must, what they’ve discovered with movement makes the VR promise almost come true. I think I’m mgriffinLou on Oculus, I might change that to Houngan or Hounganqt3 at some point. Friend me up, and if you’re looking for a good deal the Adventure Bundle isn’t bad, Raw Data (robo recall with 4 different classes and co-op, bit less polish than RR) Climb (no kidding, I was so sore in my arms and shoulders I had to quit playing for a day), I Expect You To Die, a Bond-esque escape room that is great, but far too short, and a multi-game thing, Sportsbar VR.

I’m vyshka on oculus. I sent you a friend request.