VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Which was always my fear when Facebook bought them. The pricetag meant it had to be a massmarket product in a way I don’t expect high performance VR to be for at least a decade.

That insane F-14 module for DCS has me thinking VR and flight stick. What are good VR options?

Not the Rift 2, apparently. :) Guess you’ll be looking at the Vive or Vive Pro?

Get one of the windows mixed reality headsets… great resolution and cheap!

Just so people know, this ‘cancelllation of Rift 2’ headline is based on some anonymous source, not anything Iribe said.

It will be interesting to see if this really does effectively deal with the screen door effect.

My son’s Ben badgering us of late to get a VR set. I never thought abhor getting one before son sadly I’m very much ignorant abhor it.

So I need some uber PC to use effectively? My gaming pc was built 6 years ago and can still play most games in 1920 x 1080 resolution on medium settings which is mostly fine by me. Am I looking at spending on that on top of the cost of the VR set?

What would be the best sets to look at. I gather the Rift is out of favor now, and that was the only brand name I was aware of.

Are there any specific specs to look for?

The Rift isn’t out of favor at all. Given the price, it’s still probably the best complete package to go for at this current time.

What are you current PC specs? A six year old GPU isn’t going to be enough for VR unfortunately. The minium you’re looking at is a GTX 960. I was fairly happy running VR on my 6 year old CPU with a 970, but I had to lower settings for a number of titles and VR is the main reason I’m now in the process of building a new machine.

Unless you have a 970 calibre card you’re not going to be able to power a Rift/Vive, so you might want to look at a Go, or the Quest when it comes out. Just be aware that the games will be very different from what you can play on a PC based system, apart from a handful.

Don’t get a Go for gaming, it’s aimed primarily at watching media and isn’t a 6DoF device.

The Odyssey+ looks interesting. If reviews are favorable then I may pick up one during the holidays.

That’s what I thought. What about consoles?

The PSVR is behind a bit in the tech but probably has the best game support. Astro Bot is a genuine GotY contender and as charming as any Nintendo game of the past several years,

PSVR is a solid solution that won’t break the bank. If you have a TV with HDR, make sure you get one of the newer models because the first revision doesn’t have HDR passthrough. CUH-ZVR2 is the updated model.

Is there a specific genre or type of game he’s interested in?

He mostly plays shitty clones on roblox.

We do have a HDR tv. What am I compromising by going with a console?

Aside from having less power than a PC, you’re also restricted to worse controls and tracking. PSVR can’t really do roomscale like PC can as it’s tracked by a single camera, also it uses the old PS move controllers which seem not great for VR.

Having said that, the PSVR is often said to be the most comfortable headset and Sony have been doing a pretty good job at funding games. Astrobot and Resident Evil 7 VR are notable titles that aren’t available on PC (though that goes both ways and there’s plenty of good PC VR games you wont get on PSVR).

PSVR is much cheaper and a lot of people seem to enjoy it, so it’s certainly one to consider.

Wipeout is also great in VR.

PSVR is lower resolution than the PC headsets. If you’re prone to VR sickness that’s not ideal. That said, the advantage of PSVR is that they’re programming to a target (well, two with PS4 Pro) hardware spec and Sony’s vetting is supposedly very strict – if your game drops below the minimum required FPS at any point it’s rejected. On that point you can expect a more consistent experience on PS4 than on PC. In your situation where you’d need a whole new PC build I’d definitely recommend it, doubly so if you already own a PS4.

Oh, word of advice if you do go with a PSVR: avoid physical copies. Switching discs is a huge pain in the ass with the headset.

I really wonder how capable the Quest will be for gaming. If it has some of the best games on the platform I may go for it.

I don’t have a gaming PC now and I probably won’t any time soon, and I also don’t want to have to deal with the PS VR. Here’s hoping that the Quest really does deliver a good gaming experience.