VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Is that playable?

Well, it looks like he’s playing it, so I’d guess so :P

But, no, it doesn’t look like it’s available for us unwashed masses to try out yet.

I picked up an Oculus Go yesterday, and have been playing around with it.

Pretty impressed so far, especially for the price. Really hoping that a higher adaption rate will result in more cool content being developed for it. Probably the biggest disappointment is there are no Google apps yet available for it (like Youtube, though the system browser’s video player is pretty good).

My favorite game i’ve played so far is probably Pinball FX2 VR. After playing FX pinball in VR, its going to be really hard to go back to 2D tables on a TV. Also, love the extra animations and effects added in the VR version.

Does anyone have any suggestions for games or apps i should check out that are available on the Oculus Go/Gear VR?

The netflix app is good and hilarious to use on a plane.

Believe it or not, two of my favorite games on the Gear VR are not available for the Oculus Go yet; Vendetta Online and Minecraft. I can, however, recommend AltspaceVR, Dreadhalls, and Land’s End.

Edit: hours after I posted this the VO devs rolled an update saying Go is now supported: https://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/1/35047

PSVR darling Moss is out on PC now.

So, I’m curious, is it normal to feel a little motion sick after the first few days of using VR? Is it something that improves with time, or will it always be a problem? I’m not like vomiting or anything, but feel a little dizzy after extended sessions.

Not unusual I don’t think. I’d avoid extended sessions to start with.

Yup definitely takes some getting used to. Try shortish bouts of seated cockpit experiences first. Don’t play fast and swirly
things like overload or dogfighting in elite. Just haul some shit from a to b as your brain learns how to VR.

Some games, especially racing, are riskier than others but yeah, totally normal.

I think it mainly depends of the type of game you are playing. Do they have locomotion?

Right, movement by teleporting seems to be less traumatic.

Yep, in my experience it was normal for reality to feel a little shaky for the first week or two. I also used to get some residual ‘screen door’ effect in my normal vision, though I did my ‘training’ on a DK2 where that artifact was more pronounced. :)

I don’t notice any side effects at all now.

I just had an intense bit of harrier flying in DCS. No dogfight, just takeoff from the boat (at night), fly to a target area, shoot up the reds some, fly back and land the bloody thing. On the boat. I must say that is about all the VR my poor head can take for this hour. I need to cool down some, and let the inner ear recover.

After hearing a lot of positive news about Beat Saber I picked that up, and boy are my arms tired. While less of an aerobic workout than trying to see how many gladiators you can knock out of the ring with the two handed morningstar in Gorn, the quick repetitive slashing motions of Beat Saber defiantly works muscles that I don’t normally use.

Also picked up Moss, which in a way is a nice complement to Beat Saber. It’s rather slow paced and doesn’t require more movement than leaning to look around. There’s a lot of exposition in between actual bits of gameplay so far, consisting of reading from an animated book and occasionally turning a page. The gameplay is a 3-D puzzle platformer, with a little combat. You transition from one staged scene to the next. I’m not very far in so I can’t say if the puzzles or the combat bit get interesting. However the environments are very pretty and the animation of the musine protagonist is very well done. While I can’t say if the gameplay holds up it is beautiful and well crafted.

I just played the Moss demo on PSVR yesterday. I’m curious how it goes once you’ve played more of it; it seemed charming enough that I might grab it if it’s on sale, and it seems like a good game to have in the lineup for demonstrating the variety of VR stuff out there to new players, but I wasn’t sure it was going to be deep enough to grab right now. I do like that little mouse though.

Purchased a Rift - super excited. Justified it to myself on the basis that I have little time to game these days so it’s worthwhile to upgrade the quality of the time I do spend.

What is everyones preferred lightweight civilian flight sim / pilotwings to get started. Also what are your favorite basic environmental exploring games?

Has anybody tried the full release of Budget Cuts now that it is out? I loved the demo from 2 years go, but read that the release is fairly buggy.

Diego

Nice! I loved that demo too. Didn’t realize the game had come out.

@Scott123 Check out Ultrawings for a fun, casual flight sim. As for exploration, Skyrim/Fallout 4 are hard to beat. Maybe Obduction, Vanishing Realms, or those Gallery games?

The aforementioned Ultrawings is your Pilotwings. Aerofly FS 2 is the (semi) casual civilian flight sim that’s popular around these here parts.

For exploring, of course the Bethesda games rate a mention as @rrmorton says. Maybe also look at Minecraft and Subnautica.

These are mostly all ports though. The big-budget ‘made for VR’ game of note to play on Rift is Lone Echo.