VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I’m not far into it but haven’t run into any really bad bugs. Only one of note was some inventory items’ textures being replaced with filler text after I transitioned to a new level where they weren’t useful any more. By the way, it does require a fair bit of space, and crouching. I’m just about managing in my small area, but I’m having to be careful about reaching for things. Thankfully it does the thing where you can point at something and suck it into your hand, but it can be a bit fiddly and for some things you have to be very close anyway.

Thanks, that sounds like a buy recommendation, especially since I’ve (barely) got the space for room-scale.
Diego

VTOL VR is a great thing for seated VR.

Not nearly as hardcore as DCS but cool yet simmy, like the sim games of yore. fantasy aircraft help keep the rivet counters at bay.

Thanks for suggestions, browsing back through the thread is giving me some others to check out.

Can I assume features and performance are the same between Steam VR titles and Oculus Store? I have a $75 Oculus Store credit as part of the father’s day promotion, but nearly all of my games are on Steam these days.

Yeah, well… A title on steam that can run natively in oculus mode will do so. Some titles need steamVR even on a rift (and are obviously not sold on that crummy POS store that is tacked onto a driver like some sort of bloated malware) and run almost imperceptibly less fast than native titles. The only reason one would get anything on the oculus store is store credit or a title is not available any other way.

yes I do loathe the oculus store and the way its foisted upon the user.

Anyway. Here’s another great, great use of a rift:

Helicopter operations by their nature are a visual, short range affair. You hardly need worry about things tens of kilometers away, but having a keen perception of your relation to terra firma is paramount. VR helps tremendously with that, and that makes flying helicopters an absolute delight. Huey is awesome for its lo-tech wockawockaness and being an icon. It even has creedence (1)for menu music lol.

(1) It’s not actually creedence but sounds pretty darn close.

Haven’t broken the VR out in a bit. But this might bring me back.

Ok I’m building a list of games I’m interested in, feel free to comment. It’s a bit of a maze navigating the internet to find titles.

Brass Tactics - looks like a good implementation of strategy gaming
Catch and Release VR - casual fishing game
Lone Echo - graphics, shooter
Beat Saber - rythm game
The Climb - graphics, easy
Xing - relaxing puzzle game
Ultrawings - basic flight simmer

Is there a recommended racing game?

Project CARS and Dirt 4(?) are the best ones, I think. Racing the go karts in Project CARS is particularly fun in VR because the ground is so close to you.

I can endorse Brass Tactics, Lone Echo, Beat Saber and The Climb. Haven’t actually played a lot of racing games in VR, unless you count ETS/ATS.

Same for me. I’ll always suggest Gorn and In Death also. VR Knight is a fun little romp too. And the VR Sports game that comes with the Rift.

Did you guys see that Dreams will support VR out of the chute? I am really hoping it is as cool to work with as Google’s Tilt. That could make creation in Dreams pretty special…

Your list is missing GORN!

One comment on Ultrawings, it is the one game that makes me somewhat motion sick. Especially at first when I was trying to get used to the controls and kept over-correcting back and forth. I still can’t play it for extended periods.

If you ever enjoyed playing ping pong in real life, I’d also recommend Racket Fury.

I keep seeing some talk about Dreams on the VR reddits but haven’t looked into it yet.

We just got done doing two swarms, one with people who own high end VR rigs, and one with non-adopters. Identical question sets for both.

You know which company was rated overwhelmingly in both groups as a potential game changer in the VR landscape if they jump in?

Starts with an “N” and rhymes with Gintendo. Over Apple, LG, Disney, Netflix and Amazon.

Hahahaha. Was LG a control or something?

For moderately skilled ping pong players and below (not club level!) Eleven is probably the best ping pong VR on the market: https://store.steampowered.com/app/488310/Eleven_Table_Tennis_VR/

I found it easier on Rift than Vive , both because of smoother performance and less likelihood of hitting the wrong button mid-swing, but could just be random issues with the computers involved

VR ping pong? Egad, that sounds terrible! I’m flashing back to trying to convince myself there was actual gameplay in Wii Tennis. :)

We should be so lucky.

Only Dirt Rally, the game in the series immediately preceding Dirt 4, has VR support. Based on Dirt 4’s improved engine and how little the developers have said about a VR version, I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. Still, Dirt Rally’s VR support is top-notch. Project Cars is fine and all, but Dirt Rally is more immediately accessible if you just want to get in a car and blow your mind for how amazing it is to drive around in VR. The rough-and-tumble of rally racing lends itself better to faffing about in VR much more than the precision demands of a game like Project Cars.

Hmm, now I really want VR support for Wreckfest…

-Tom

I’d love it if some progress could me made with feedback to your hands from VR. I think all the visual shortcomings are solvable by continuing trends we already know how to do but the tendency of your hands to pass through solid objects is a big limitation IMO.

Yeah we’ve seen some work being done on that, using gloves with force feedback. There’s this patent from Oculus:
https://venturebeat.com/2018/04/01/oculus-patents-for-vr-haptic-gloves-appear/

You could see how that could be extended to limit/lock movement rather than just provide feedback, which is kind of what these do as well:

But imagine the potential health and safety issues if something goes wrong! ;)

Related but more difficult to solve is how anything you pick up in VR has zero weight.