VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Give us a map in Vietnam and the ability to run medevac missions and I would be a happy camper. I believe it does have the ability mission wise, so give me a damn Vietnam map!

Haptx has also been working on a system, but the prototype is pretty unwieldy and no idea what the final product would cost.

I read this as X-wing. Now I am sad.

Narrator: There wasn’t.

Got it fired up last night. Wow. Those first few minutes are pretty special. And that’s just the demo stuff.

I’m adding Moss to my list. Any recommendations for smaller kids? My daughter is 4.

eh, Vietnam, Caucasus, who can tell when you are going 160 miles an hour at 5 feet above the ground dodging all kinds of nasty while the door gunners are rockin’ and a rollin’.

You’re meant to be 13 to use the HMDs… so I guess they’re not really making stuff for 4 year olds yet! ;)

Of course there’s no evidentiary reason for this recommendation, it’s purely cautionary. The main issues would be whether the thing fits properly and whether the lenses move close enough together for the kid’s IPD.

If that’s all good, one of the Oculus shorts may be a good starting point for youngsters. This one’s pretty nice:

My daughter loved Job Simulator at 5yo though I only let her play in short spurts.

Yeah I don’t think she’ll enjoy it very much, may be afraid to try, but I mostly want her to know what it is conceptually and maybe play with in-game toys for a few minutes.

Edit - my report on The Climb so far is… very cool. Tutorial a bit weak but The Bay level is very pretty and gives you that real “I’m going up there!?” feeling.

Also bought Landfall as it’s on the day sale for a few hours, looks ok.

Another question - with the touch, do you still use the gamepad for some games?

Sure. Some games don’t support it, or are just better with a different control scheme. Eg the truck sim games.

This is rather amazing, on multiple levels:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusGo/comments/8t6cuu/my_vendetta_online_setup_cant_believe_this_works/

that is pretty close to how i want my flying rig set up in the end.

Level editor for Overload out now :

Now all they need is more varied environments.

Lone Echo has $10 off at the Oculus Store. I was waiting for a sale to see what this is like… but $30 isn’t much of a sale. I picked up Subnautica as my VR indulgence so I think I’ll stick with that.

Lone Echo is fantastic. If you like space at all, buy it.

Two week review - really, really fun purchase. The $75 credit is a great way to get people like me to try a variety of games early, so it doesn’t linger. So far:

Setup and intro / Oculus First Contact - blew my mind, really great demo
Ultrawings - great, fun game. Keep going back to it. I do feel the motion sickness when I use rudder, but otherwise it’s fine.
Landfall - more of a twin stick shooter than strategy game, but good fun. When I realized I could walk around and lean in it was eye-opening.
The Climb - great sights, but my computer performance isn’t quite there. Will try again on lower settings and thinking about a PC upgrade soon (GTX 960 4GB).
Anshar Online - this one is a miss for me, don’t like the control scheme.
Apollo 11 VR - just tried it, seems interesting / educational.

I just bought a bunch of games on Steam Sale to try:

House of the Dying Sun
Subnautica
American Truck Simulator - seems to require some mods to get VR
Eagle Flight
The Solus Project

When I yaw wildly by misapplying the rudder it’s sickness inducing. When I finally settle down and make actual smooth coordinated turns it’s not much of a problem. So in a way it’s quite realistic and a good flight trainer.

perhaps you should try a flight sim. More realistic aircraft motion (which ordinarily is not very wild at all) should help keep the motion sickness at bay. DCS is a free download and you get to fly a P-51 mustang warbird for free.

Il-2 battle of stalingrad / moscow / kuban is another great choice. It is ww2, and therefore very well suited to VR. Dont sweat it if you find aircraft handling hard at first, there’s plenty to enjoy if you do airstart quickmissions. Learning to fly is fun!

Nope. Just opt into the relevant Oculus beta branch on Steam and use the -oculus launch command. You’ll probably also want to use super sampling to reduce aliasing if your rig can handle it.

Guide here.

(for some people that is involvement and pc-gamer masterrace hackery that borders on entering the matrix)

Yeah that’s quite neat. Did they fix the traffic sign textures so you can actually read those at a realistic distance? Haven’t fired it up in ages.