VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

The best thing from that cybershoes kickstarter page:

Someone here has the Occulus Go, right? Anyone give me a review of it? I like that it’s standalone, but is it substantially better than getting something like Google Daydream, which I take is just a fancied up Google Cardboard with a bluetooth controller?

Flight sim fans should check out the beta/free demo of Fly Inside Flight Sim. 90 fps in VR with high details, includes almost $400 worth of payware planes for $32 ($25 if you bought FlyInside). Posted about it in the Civilian Flight Sim thread.

Cheers I’ll be checking out the demo!

Hmmmm, sounds like I have fundamentally different views about the future of Oculus too. I absolutely agree that all-in-one is the long-term future, but the Quest isn’t even packing an 845, from what Tested were saying at Connect. It’s basically a Go with proper tracking. You’re not going to be running any of the games I find most engaging on that.

Uh oh. Seems like a blow for higher end VR. I’m fine with mobility and ergonomics being addressed first, but I don’t want a toy.

Edit: Or what Ginger said :)

There were some clarifying tweets that it they aren’t giving up on pc based vr, just the oculus 2 project. Who knows though. :/

That seems tantamount to the same thing to me, though. The Rift is a headset I really like as a first generation piece of tech. I really want greater resolution, a reduction in cables, and that sort of thing in the future and it looks like Oculus isn’t going to be providing it. They’ll still sell PC games and support the existing Rift, but this seems tantamount to waving the white flag in this market (likely because it’s too small for them).

Which was always my fear when Facebook bought them. The pricetag meant it had to be a massmarket product in a way I don’t expect high performance VR to be for at least a decade.

That insane F-14 module for DCS has me thinking VR and flight stick. What are good VR options?

Not the Rift 2, apparently. :) Guess you’ll be looking at the Vive or Vive Pro?

Get one of the windows mixed reality headsets… great resolution and cheap!

Just so people know, this ‘cancelllation of Rift 2’ headline is based on some anonymous source, not anything Iribe said.

It will be interesting to see if this really does effectively deal with the screen door effect.

My son’s Ben badgering us of late to get a VR set. I never thought abhor getting one before son sadly I’m very much ignorant abhor it.

So I need some uber PC to use effectively? My gaming pc was built 6 years ago and can still play most games in 1920 x 1080 resolution on medium settings which is mostly fine by me. Am I looking at spending on that on top of the cost of the VR set?

What would be the best sets to look at. I gather the Rift is out of favor now, and that was the only brand name I was aware of.

Are there any specific specs to look for?

The Rift isn’t out of favor at all. Given the price, it’s still probably the best complete package to go for at this current time.

What are you current PC specs? A six year old GPU isn’t going to be enough for VR unfortunately. The minium you’re looking at is a GTX 960. I was fairly happy running VR on my 6 year old CPU with a 970, but I had to lower settings for a number of titles and VR is the main reason I’m now in the process of building a new machine.

Unless you have a 970 calibre card you’re not going to be able to power a Rift/Vive, so you might want to look at a Go, or the Quest when it comes out. Just be aware that the games will be very different from what you can play on a PC based system, apart from a handful.

Don’t get a Go for gaming, it’s aimed primarily at watching media and isn’t a 6DoF device.