VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

That’s why foveated rendering and eye tracking will be such a big deal. It should massively improve performance and allow for much higher resolutions.

I would gladly trade texture and geometry detail for crisp resolution in the cockpit space, effectively “resetting” the graphics race.

So the large jump in April/May was likely due to Valve fixing the issue with Asian internet cafes over-counting users in the survey data between August 2017 and April.2018. This means the Jan and March 2018 numbers I posted were likely lower than they should be.

Road to VR’s Ben Lang made a graph:

https://twitter.com/benz145/status/1057341258304172032

The display technology is already here, but the GPU horsepower to drive it is not.

Sounds rather disappointing.

Still no source for any of this.

Overload is free with Twitch Prime for November. I felt a bit queasy with during station landing in Elite, let’s see how I do with a Descent successor.

Polybius for Oculus inbound!

Anyone see this thing?

Looks to be in a pre-release stage. But some of the stuff in the spec is impressive. Wider field of view than anything else I’ve seen. The built in leap motion is potentially useful.

Really looking forward to Polybius.

There’s also a demo out on the Oculus store for Wrench. If you have any interest at all in building cars in VR then it’s pretty great, if a little janky still. The demo has you assembling an engine, but it looks like the full game will be going full Car Mechanic Simulator with customers giving you jobs to do and stuff.

Picking up and putting together engine parts in VR is actually insanely cool.

Valve working on an HMD to go with their controllers?

https://uploadvr.com/images-of-prototype-valve-vr-headset-leak/

With Tetris Effect, Astro Bot, and so many other experiences out there getting great reviews, I’m thinking of getting a PSVR during Black Friday. Anyone here have one? I know it’s not up there with Oculus and Vive but for ~$200 it’s probably worth it considering I don’t have a gaming pc.

If you can, get elite dangerous, even in lo rez vr its amazeballs

I get to play with a lot of VR gear and own a Vive and PSVR. PSVR is a mixed bag but a good value. It’s got a good and growing software library and for me it’s the most comfortable of all the headsets. Its motion controls are the worst of the bunch, making some multi platform games worse on PS4 (superhot for example). Many games use a standard ps4 controller and those are usually fine - Astrobot for example is really great. If you like FPS Firewall with the gun controller add on is great and will make you wish more FPS played like it does.

Bear in mind it may cost you more than $200 even on sale - the cheaper bundles don’t include the Move controllers and only come with the camera.

Rec Room with friends is worth the price of admission at least in my house - my kids and I have a blast teaming up to play or meeting up with others online.

Summed up, I’ve found PSVR to be well worth the $250 I paid for it but YMMV based on your tastes.

my PSVR library is slowly growing. I spent the whole weekend playing Tetris Effect (great to see Tetsuya Mizuguchi back after Lumines, Meteos, Rez, Every Extend Extra Extreme) Imagine Lumines (with music skins) in VR. It is sooo amazing, the sounds, the music and playing Tetris again after so many years…

I say slowly growing, because a lot of games require Move controllers (which I don’t intend to buy, too expensive).

So, Polybius is great by Jeff Minter
Thumper in VR is one of the best Rhythem music games
and WipeOut VR does not induce motion sickness (I am weak to motion sickness)
Skyrim VR is a bit exhausting on the eyes (maybe my standard PS4 cannot do enough anti aliasing)

I intend to buy AstroBot, Deracine (by From Software) and maybe Moss …

I liked the demo of Resident Evil 7, but am too scared to play it. Horror in VR is really something else.
So I can totally recommend the PSVR if you already own a PS4

Get Astro Bot, it’s amazing. It really is a Mario quality 3D platformer, and the VR is clever and integral.

Sony announced their black friday deals include a PSVR + Camera + Astro Bot + Moss for $199. Can’t pass that up!

Will have to figure out something else to get Move controllers later I guess.

Yeah. I think I am about to come off the fence. I’ve been curious for awhile, but it was just too much. My PC is not a powerhouse either. But the Black Friday PSVR deals have me strongly considering trying out the experience. I have a good sound set up near the PlayStation too.

Really, the other thing that got me thinking about it was Battlezone. I bought it on Switch and while enjoying it, I was blown away by the sound elements. I kept listening for shots whizzing by and wanted to turn and look over my shoulder. It was then that I realized it was a VR title first. I am really thinking its Tron aesthetics, sound, music, and rogue like nature would be a pretty fulfilling package in VR. @Desslock seemed to think up thread it was a shallow experience though. Maybe it was the demo? Maybe the final version has a lot more? Between the Switch version and my imagination, I am really tempted to try out the PSVR experience.

I’m also strongly thinking about:
Skyrim VR
Persistence
Moss
Fire team Zero
Resident Evil
Super Hot

Am I crazy? Should I go back to snoozing on VR? Does anyone have input on PSVR and my game list? I’m looking at the move bundle. Good idea? I have a launch PS4, does pro really matter?

Also, what happens to the TV when playing PSVR? Is the only image going to the headset, or can others see a flat version on the TV? I’d like to play some spooky games alternating who has the set, but that won’t work if only one person can see anything at all.

Thanks for any input.

No, as long as you have the disposable income to buy into it. VR is a completely new experience where you stop watching a game on your screen and instead find yourself inside the game. How many times has a revolutionary change like that happened since you’ve been playing games?