VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I got the $199 deal yesterday and am very happy with it so far. There is a lot to hook up because of the breakout processing box but the getting started guide made it super simple to follow.

The TV automatically mirrors what’s in the headset so it makes things social automatically. Many games customize the experience to show something specific on the TV instead.

Rez Infinite is amazing but that’s about all I’ve played extensively so far.

As for Pro vs. regular PS4, I can’t say. I have a pro and don’t know how worse it might’ve been without it.

I’m not currently planning to get the Move controllers though. While it limits the games I can play, I don’t have the space for them, and they kind of suck for VR anyway in my previous experience using them.

One other note: this is by far the most comfortable vr headset I’ve used. I have big glasses and the oculus and Vive fit over them terribly. The PSVR is pretty comfortable, and it’s also extremely easy to put on and take off.

The PSVR games I’d recomend are:

Astro Bot. It’s a Nintendo quality 3d platformer in VR, no exaggeration. It’s super clever and charming. Probably my favorite game this year, not just VR game.

Wipeout Omega Collection. This is an awesome racer in VR

Static, a neat puzzle box game in VR.

Moss.
Rez
RE7

I’ll second the recommendation for Static. It’s simple but effective use of VR with satisfying puzzles.

I really like Job Simulator too, and I think it might have the widest appeal of anything I’ve played on PSVR. It’s just happily whimsical and fun.

See, I’ve read stuff like that along with, “you have to experience it to understand.” There have been so many “virtual reality” flops come and go as I’ve aged though. Part of me just thinks modern VR is just using your head as a mouse, but I’ve never tried the newer tech. The other part of me, the one that loves games to no end, is thinking it just might be a ride worth spending the money to try.

After looking at reviews and reading up, I am really, really leaning towards just picking up a bundle and giving it a go. It isn’t feeling like a fad from what I am reading.

I read a lot of good things about Astrobot. However, I am not a platformer, and I can’t see what VR is doing for the experience. And yet… Maybe it is part of that magic of being “in the game” looking at it even if the player is not the actor in the game. I was even looking at stuff like the side perspective castle siege game where you blow apart castles. I’ve seen that game everywhere, but maybe it has an extra hook if you can move your perspective via the headset.

Thanks for the info on the TV. No reviews seem to talk about that part.

I was browsing the PS store and saw a few more that looked interesting. Maybe Arizona Sunshine? Borderlands VR! Doom VR (I still have somehow never played the new Doom). Some MOBA looking game still in beta.

I thought I had gotten a few with PS plus, but I only saw the Rush of Blood one. Did they only briefly do VR titles for plus? How can I see which ones are VR?

In terms of what is worth spending money on, that’s subjective and I can’t offer you a lot of advice there. But what I can say is even if it turned out to just be a fad, it was still worth it to me to drop some money on a Rift and experience it.

When I first got my Rift, I was playing Robo Recall. There were two moments that really jumped out at me. The first one was when a spider robot thing jumped at my face, I just instinctively reached out and grabbed it. I didn’t know you could do that but I just tried and it worked, and it worked because I just did the action in real life.

The second was when my dog came into the room, without me realizing. As I was playing I bumped into him lightly with my leg. There was a moment of total confusion as I looked down and couldn’t see what I was bumping into. Then a second later, I remembered I wasn’t actually in a street blowing a bunch of robots, I was in a bedroom in my house with a VR headset on. It just went to show how sucked into the experience my brain was.

So even if it turned out to just be a fad, there’s been nothing that has provided that kind of immersion into a game before. I have no regrets about the money I spent just to experience it.

Seems like there must be some try before you buy opportunity somewhere around you?

This is my experience as well. Even if the flow of VR games dries up, I will be glad to have bought in and experienced something new. A lot of people dismiss VR, saying, “that’s not how I want to play games,” but I feel like it’s really a separate thing. The thing I show I most people when I demo my rig is Apollo 11. It’s not even really very interactive. But when you look to your right and see Buzz Aldrin give you the thumbs up during the launch sequence, then lean forward so you can look out the window as the Earth recedes, it’s completely cough otherworldly. :)

My most played VR game these days is boxing sim The Thrill of the Fight. By the end of most sessions, my arms are burning so much that I can barely keep my guard up – but the feeling that the guy in front of me is going to clean my clock is strong enough to keep me pushing through.

Brand new to PSVR here as well and I’m astonished. Astro Bot is very innovative, and I’m not a big platform gaming fan. Still, I have 4 or 5 levels and they are very clever.

Skyrim graphics aren’t amazing, but the sense of scale and immersion is second to none. I can’t wait to see what the next gen of VR looks like.

The question is are they building it?

I wished. Best Buy theoretically used to do Occulus demos. I even set an appointment for one up like 2 years ago. The rep didn’t show up. I tried the phone VR thing at a store and that was fairly “meh” as it seemed like just a blurry panoramic wallpaper.

I asked the the store yesterday if there is a return policy for PSVR (heck I might very well be one of those people that loses their lunch or gets a headache for all I know), but they said no.

This morning I was pretty confident that I had talked myself into just taking the leap. You folks here are cementing that, especially @KevinC with his essentially “if you like games, why wouldn’t you want to try this immersion” argument.

I think I am getting the move VR (with Superhot and Creed) PS bundle. If I like it, then I will snag the Red Dead PS Pro bundle on Black Friday. I am really tempted to just get the bundle with Astrobot and Moss (seemingly very well reviewed games) though, but worry I would miss the move controllers if games needed them. Battlezone and Skyrim will be my early purchases with an eye on Persistance, Firezone, or Resident Evil as an extra. Or maybe look for whatever demos are on the PS store.

Leaks just this week seem to indicate PS 5 reveal is soon and it will show that PS is going all in for PSVR2 including improved move controllers. Part of me says “wait”, but it will be at least a year or three out for it to actually be out.

Does the PSVR edition let you use smooth locomotion or only teleportation? Graphics-wise it’s a whole different beast on PC, when you add a smattering of mods the game looks really great.

I’m not the expert as I don’t have it yet, but smooth motion was either in early or added via a patch as I saw it being used (and teleportation) in videos as I researched. I’m not a fan of teleportation payer movement and am a bit surprised it is a thing as I read up on VR.

It’s seems Skyrim (and many VR games really) have had significant post release support.

It’s seen a motion sickness proof, unlike smooth movement.

When you get VR you’ll quickly find out how sensitive you are to it. If you consider a standard FPS game like Skyrim or Minecraft or something else, moving via a joypad (i.e. smooth locomotion) make alot of people feel sick. It can feel a little weird to me zooming around Skyrim without actually moving my legs (one person said it’s like being on a Segway, which is a great description!), but doesn’t induce nausea and I find walking in place when my character is walking helps the slight weirdness.

I think I am one of the lucky ones. You may find you need the teleportation and similar mechanics in these VR games to not feel ill, but see how you go. The reason I ask is that I thought I remembered reading that PSVR Skyrim only had teleportation, I would look into that before you buy it. If they added smooth locomotion in via a patch that’s great.

Skyrim PSVR has normal, smooth, movement, and did from day 1 release. It’s a must have PSVR title, in my opinion, even though I do find it tiring to play for very long. It’s still wonderful.

If you liked Battlezone on the Switch, @Chaplin , I would definitely get it for PSVR too - I did only play the demo, and it was one of the best experiences that I’ve tried. I’ve heard the Batman title is also good, but brief. Resident Evil is very well regarded - honestly, I find VR horror games make me so jumpy that I find them unpleasant (I just can’t prevent my brain from getting immersed) - that that would be a huge positive if you like the genre.

Aww man. My SO is getting an Oculus Go tomorrow as a gift, and I don’t even have VR for my PC yet. This is going to be hard now. I realize that is a different platform (Android,) but still, she’s heavy into her Android tablet and games, I know she will be all over that. And here I am, without VR and thinking I would just wait out until the next gen of products.

Damnit Jim. This is not good for my wallet.

Just read that the Occulus Go should be selling for $179.99 on Black Friday. That’s $20 off.

She already got one, but if they are that cheap and she’s up for multiplayer something, I may consider it. (That’s a lot of assumptions.)

I know it’s not as powerful as the Vive and Occulus, and the PSVR does let you play Skyrim in VR, but it’s nice that it’s all in one and not tethered to anything.

The PSVR bundle for $249 is tempting too if you already have the PS4. You get the headset, two Move controllers, and two games – Creed and Superhot.