VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Can NVidia DLSS 2 help with VR frame rates?

Yes, but no VR games support it yet.

Oh right, yeah I should know my classics. Silly me. Well never mind then.

Also pretty much all of this. ;)

I finished Mare. I wanted to write a positive write-up to help the devs, given I won it in a giveaway, but… I really can’t do it.
It’s a game with a pretty art style and… yeah that’s it. There is barely no gameplay and barely no story.

About the second point, I’m sure the devs will refer to it as ‘minimalist environmental-driven story’ or some other euphemism to make up some BS about it. The true is there is no dialog, no world building, and also nothing worth mentioning happens for 90% of the game, with the exception of the start, the end, and a point in the middle. More about the story later.

The gameplay is based on clicking some 3-4 hotspots on screen. In fact, that’s how the movement works too, clicking those hotspots to direct yourself there. Around 70% of the game is the equivalent of a walking simulator, where you have go forward, or the solution of what you have to do to go forward is so trivial (just a pair of clicks) that is hard to call it ‘puzzle’. Only the other 30% is slightly more complicated. Here it’s how the puzzles works, and the entire game is like this, there is no variety really: your companion, the little girl, follows you around, but she can’t fly like you, so her path is slightly or very different. So because of that, clicking on point C being on A is different than clicking on point C being on B. So you have to guess the correct order of clicking the hotspots, that serve to guide the little girl. Near the end there is a pair of points that serve to scare the child, instead of attracting her.
That’s it.

So what’s the game about?
You are some kind of magical-steampunk? mechanical bird, some kind of sentry part of an automated defense system? You shot down some aerostatic globes. There is a globe you don’t totally shot down and there is an accident that grounds you with it. From the globe there is a little girl that doesn’t seem to know anything.
Dunno how little girls make up for good explosive ammunition but hey, imagine there is a wizard-alchemist that uses slaves living energy as living bombs or some shit… This, like the rest of the whys you have to make it up on you mind because there is no explanation.
So you advance with the girl through an abandoned city, guiding her.
And here it’s the kicker (what my theory was at 60% of the game)

I don’t think you are guiding the girl, helping her, which is why most people would think looking at the marketing material or taking similar games as reference (ie Ico, The Last Guardian). You are using her, because you need her to open some doors for you. There is a point where if you think about it, you are using her as a bait and have to hold doing nothing while she is attacked to progress. On the next level she doesn’t follow you around, like she lost her trust, in fact, you have to engineer a situation where she is in danger to ‘save’ her and then she starts following you again.
To cement this concept, the devs put on that level a zone where you have to scare away some wild horses to manipulate them to open the doors. The horses are a temporal replacement for the girl. Because… that’s it, that’s what the girl is for you, just like a mare (title drop!), a work horse. A tool that can look beautiful, but that’s it.

and the ending

you were indeed using her, I was right. Because: plot twist: the mechanical bird was possessed by the same (malevolent? is a black smoke tentacle, that’s a visual shortcut for evil right?) entity that were the smoke spirits and the smoke crows. The game shows you a kind of strange flashback of previous areas seen from the pov of the entity, which was looking from the strange orbs you find sometimes. It seems you used the girl to reach a point with a strange device. You attack it by possessing a bigger mechanical entity found in your way, and it finally explodes in a super big (thermonuclear like) explosion.
Obviously it kills the girl. And you? Maybe it doesn’t because you were a spirit? Dunno. The end.

I think there is a secret ending if you do a collecthaton, but I only did 70% of them.

Has anyone been able to stomach the continuous movement mode of a game like Skyrim VR or Half Life Alyx? I don’t think I tried the mode in Alyx yet, but in Skyrim I immediately felt bizarre. I felt like I was going to lose my balance/ I never got nauseous, [probably because I didn’t stick with it past a couple minutes. It would be so cool if there was a way to make continuous movement bearable. I’m glad teleport mode works as well as it does, but it isn’t the ideal way to move throughout these cool worlds.

Two thoughts: first is that if you are just getting into VR, that’s perfectly normal and will pass. Second is that some people never get over it. You gotta tell us where you’re at. I used to get carsick until puberty, I still get seasick, I had the swimmy head after starting VR, but I quickly had no problem. Inner ear, baby.

I was fine with Skyrim VR. I found walking in place whenever you move the joystick helps any weird feelings. Some people sit on a bar stool while playing which helps them.

Its the only way I play all VR games (where its an option). First thing I do is disable the teleport alternative. With everyone I know, the sensation will pass with repeat exposure.

I can assure that it doesn’t pass for some unlucky souls.

Absolutely, I don’t play any other way.

I find Minecraft one of the tougher ones for the free movement, but not enough to make me turn it off…

This is my first VR headset, so I am new. Games like Beat Saber don’t bother me at all. I immediately felt weird trying continuous move mode in Skyrim and felt like I was going to fall.

I did try that and it didn’t help me in my brief attempt because it made sense it would help.

So any suggestions on how I can try to get acclimated to continuous movement? Should I expose myself to it a couple minutes each day or something?

Makes sense, Beat Saber is very active but also mostly stationary full-body. Don’t overthink it, just allow rest periods and your brain will probably figure it out.

Basically yes, do as much as you can take and then try do more the next day. After a week or two you should be fine (though some people never are).

Maybe also favour games that have the comfort vignette options, which black out parts of the screen when you move or turn. These options help with motion sickness. Not sure if Skyrim has this on by default?

Some people say this helps:

But if walking in place didn’t help, then it probably won’t.

Blowing a fan in your face is another one I’ve read helps.

A related problem with VR: does anyone else get eye strain after an hour of playing?

I would get eye strain playing any type of VR game after an hour (sometimes even half an hour). I suspect the reason is that I had a fixed IPD headset and I was probably cross-eyeing a little to focus the lenses while playing. It is one of the reasons I stopped playing VR as I want to take care of my eyesight. Anyone else get this with the IPD correctly set?

A mismatched IPD will do that. Quest 2 is kind of a problem here, it only had 3 notches so if you fall between them it’s a little uncomfortable. But you can work around the 3 notches not having that much range by moving it closer or farther from your eyes (via a spacer or swapping out the cover to move it closer).

I’ve been playing hours at a time without an issue. I fall in the middle range of the Quest 2 ipd, so I don’t know if that helps or not.

I’m mostly playing Alyx now so I’ll see what options it has, thanks. I didn’t think of that even though Google Earth has vignette. Moving there doesn’t bother me, but then I’m hovering above the ground so maybe that helps.

If I’m too tired I can’t do VR at all because my eyes seem to weak to handle the poor focus. I’m hoping having my eyeballs closer, or the lenses add-on will fix this. I just got up this morning and would like to get into VR, but being so tired, everything - even the sweet spot, would be incredibly blurry.

I was able to play with continuous move in HL:Alyx for about an hour. At first I felt weird with every movement. Then I started to feel OK when moving straight and slowly. Strafing still feels weird, as does walking up steps when I’m kinda bouncing up and down. I’m tolerating faster walking speeds a bit better too.

After an hour (I know I long time when I’m trying to get used to it) I had a slight headache and just felt a little icky, so I stopped. But, I tolerated it much better than I expected and much better than my brief time with continuous move in Skyrim VR. When I play later today I may switch back to teleport just so I don’t over do it.

It is more immersive than teleport, but it didn’t make as big a difference as I was expecting. Easier to back up around a corner for sure.