VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

OpenXR is currently only used by MSFS. Other stuff uses SteamVR (or SteamVR/Revive, if you have that installed.)

PC VR is definitely for the PC gaming-experienced. :) Newbies should stick to the Quest and it’s Android games.

I used to run 12 different autoexec.bat and config.sys for multiple games back in the day. I lost my chops!

And no google to look up the best places to stash your cdrom driver in high memory

PC VR isn’t plug-and-play, but if you bang out long enough on it, you’ll figure it out just like anything else. It took me a month or so to completely wrap my head around what all the programs were and what I needed to run etc. with the CV1. Then I went out and bought the Q2 and found myself having to learn all over again.

Yeah, and to be clear, I know @jpinard still has the necessary chops. :) It’s just when detailing these things, and seeing even the quirks of setting up a Quest with the PC compared to how easy it was with the Rift, that you realize that VR is still in the “get more high memory with QEMM386 to run Falcon at full detail” stage of usability for less technical users.

Speaking of which, am I kidding myself trying to play Squadrons on a 1080 GTX and Rift 2? Pretty janky at “Medium” everything, and also very crash-y.

I was playing it just fine on a CV1 and a 1080, but maybe the resolution jump is too much for the card.

You are kidding yourself. I see decent frame rates with a CV1 on my rig, but my GPU chokes on the higher res Q2.

And i have no idea when I’ll be able to upgrade with the current MinerFest 2.0 going on.

Yeah, exactly. A 3080 is a loooooooooooooong way off. Thanks for the confirmation!

What’s the longest VR session you guys have ever had? My neck is so messed up, I get tired/sore pretty quick and have to rest for a while after less than an hour with the headset on. So I’m curious if any of you have done like a monster 6 hour session, or if that’s even possible :)

I’m pretty sure I’ve gone a couple hours non-stop, and in a day maybe up to 6-7 hours.

Longest I’ve gone is about three or four hours I think. But after an hour and a half, I feel a need for a break. Especially if it’s intensive stuff, like sparring mates with jets or choppers!

I’ve just been an hour or so in the hood doing Elite dangerous, crawling around a relic site with the little rover thing. It’s … not comfortable. Not something I would want to do longer tbh.

Now calm flying I can take for hours. The limit in that is more in facial discomfort and tired eyes.

The longest I’ve done is a Fallout 4 four hour marathon. I’ve finished the game a few times, but I’m around 40 hours into a new game strictly in VR.

Whoa, is a base assault as cool as I’m imaging it might be?

The whole game is awesome in VR. I installed a few graphics mods as well as a few QoL mods. This, and Borderlands 3 were my most played games of 2020.

You DON’T mean the Borderlands 2 VR port, correct? I’d read THAT was terrible an best avoided even by Borderlands freaks.

Thanks,
Diego

I meant BL3, however, Borderlands 2 VR is Borderlands 2 in VR. It’s an awesome game. I just checked Steam and I put 30 hours in it last year and everyone of those was a blast. I really don’t get the hate for the game.

I mean I LOVE Borderlands & have bought & played t it on so many platforms. But EVERYTHING I’ve read was that the BL2 VR port is the worst kind of un-optimized & lazy cash grab.

Star Wars Squadrons

So I’m more setup with my throttle/hotas and VR, and lets’ not mix words… I am beyond terrible in this game and I just don’t understand why. Maybe it’s the swimmy feeling of the joystick and the fact I have to move it to far bounds to get max turn rates. Or when I do move quick I overshoot my turns to stay on target. Also, trying to quickly switch targets while managing everything is very difficult. I should love this game, but it’s just been a source of frustration so far. Any tips?

OpenXR is only used by MSFS atm (barring some newer indie stuff I’m unaware of).

For future OpenXR games, OpenXR will not affect SteamVR games for you, since you do not have a SteamVR headset (Vive, Index) - unless you change your OpenXR runtime to SteamVR. I don’t know why you would want to do this!

Understand that SteamVR is a platform, and OpenXR is an API. Below is my understanding of the status quo.

There are 3 major platforms:

• SteamVR - Vives, Index.
  • Oculus - Rifts, Quests via Link
  • WMR - G2, Odyssey etc

There are 3 major APIs. Games are built using these targets to support the various platforms:

• OpenVR - the native SteamVR API. If you use Oculus, SteamVR will translate this to Oculus SDK calls automatically. If you use WMR, ‘WMR for SteamVR’ does the translation.
  • Oculus SDK - the native Oculus API. If you use SteamVR, using Revive will translate this to OpenVR calls. Same with WMR, with the extra step of then going through ‘WMR for SteamVR’ as well.
  • OpenXR - the way forward, the API of the future! The 3 major platforms all provide runtimes to interpret this into native calls, meaning devs can build games using this one target, and all the platforms get native performance without translation.

I finished HL: Alyx today and it was glorious. I can’t wait for Valve’s next VR game. Either back to The Room VR, or time to start The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners.