VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

The hardware is mature enough that you mostly don’t need to sideload. I’d only sideload to do:

• Virtual Desktop wireless VR streaming. (Note: VD desktop streaming works without sideloading. And VR streaming from desktop works with Oculus Link. You only need sideloading to have both.)
  • Beat Saber mods. These are both really cool and too much trouble to be worth it. Every time BS updates, your mods will break and you’ll spend an hour figuring out how to update your library and make everything work again.
  • The weird, wonderful world of indie VR apps. There’s some interesting stuff out there, but you can also sample a bunch of this stuff using WebVR through Firefox Reality or Oculus’s native VR web browser.

For my engineer brain, it’s hard not to jailbreak new toys if that’s an option.

Also, I want to use bluetooth headphones and that seems to only be available as sideload/dev mode?

VD new version :

• The ability to stream PCVR games is now part of the official app in the store, no patch needed!
• Added multi-account support in the Streamer app (Windows only for now)
• Screenshots taken on your Quest are now automatically transferred to your desktop (Windows only for now)
• Added voice-over for notifications
• Added Wi-Fi speed information, runtime used by game and GPU name to the Performance Overlay
• Changed Sliced Encoding and Microphone Passthrough to be enabled by default

Good question. I’ve never even tried this, but it’s a good idea. I Frakenmodded my Quest 1 (mounted the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap on it), so I’ve got built-in headphones. But when I had corded ones, the cord never failed to be a pain. I’d invariably catch on it when trying to swing a saber or whatever.

Woah, awesome.

Woah, awesomer! (Why hasn’t Oculus done this? Getting screenshots off the device is a huge pain.)

This what I came across. I have a decent light pair of over the ears headphones.

I’m guessing they want you to post them to Instagram/Facebook.

Wait, so I only need to purchase Virtual Desktop off of the Quest 2 store and then I can play Steam games wirelessly on the Quest 2 (if my router can handle it)?

Yep.5

Every time I connect my AirPods to my Quest 2, games start lagging. I haven’t tried it for a month or so, not sure if that’s been fixed.

That’s what I’m worried about. I have a set of pluggable ear buds as fall back.

Some releases

Today, Hyper dash, also on Oculus (crossbuy)
The Climb 2 in March 4th
And in April Star Wars Pinball VR, with 8 tables

You still need to install the Virtual Desktop streaming software on the PC as well of course, but yeah this makes things a lot simpler.

Done! It seems to work ok with my 5Ghz Orbi router that is only Wifi5.

Thanks for the info!

I’m probably the only person that is super pumped about the pinball, but man I’m super pumped. I thought Zen had abandoned VR pinball – maybe this means they’ll bring the real tables to VR as well.

Wow, 24 hours in and this is my take away. Walking around in VR may kill me.

I can handle everything else, but motion and movement is a show stopper.

I picked up cheap copy of Star Trek Bridge Crew which is pretty damn cool.
Vader Immortal and that’s it so far. Waiting to see what the kid takes a fancy for.

Ouch. You mean physically walking around inside your play space? Hopefully you acclimitise after a bit of experience, most/many people do.

Depending on the age of your kid, you should try the bundled Bogo demo. Pretty well-done little virtual pet thing, the under-10s loved it.

Yea, I’m told I can adjust to the movement. Frankly, there are LOTS of great games where you sit or stay put to keep me busy for a while.

My Kid so far loves Beat Saber, so looks like that on the short list to pickup.

Tonight I get to dive into Elite Dangerous with Voice Attack and VR.
Excited!

24 hours in, it SHOULD be. It takes a few days or a week or two before your brain clicks, but it should progressively get better.

If it’s any consolation I was in the same boat and I mostly got used to it. Teleport move was Ok from the start, but ‘normal’ walking with the thumbstick made me feel wonky. Now I can walk around in Skyrim VR and only feel a little weird when I’m moving quickly. Other games I’ve been able to walk around fine now.