VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Welp the new Quest 2 arrived today. Plugged it in, light turned green! Yay! I’ll give it a whirl after we finish this movie we’re watching.

Nice, enjoy!

Congrats! That was a decent turnaround.

Well I RMAd the one from Oculus and ordered a new one from Amazon. ;)

Aw, you hit me in my happy feels.

Welp, I’m sold. I can’t use my current glasses it, but my last set of glasses with an older prescription works great. played aircar, low-fi, first steps and no man’s sky. Wow.

Oh I can leave it plugged in to the link cable right?

I know you hate the game, but you gotta check out flying an X-Wing in VR, @BrianRubin

Oh I plan to, don’t you worry.

Is it? You’re “sitting” in a Blade Runner-style flying car flying around a city. It’s lovely and free.

Its the most vertigo inducing thing I’ve ever tried, alongside with No Mans Sky where I took 4 steps, and promptly tore off my Quest 2. You have iron inner balance, my man!

The pro move is to get your eyes lasered, just don’t mention to the SO the reason was VR.

Wait you can take steps in No Man’s Sky? I just did the teleportation thingy.

Oh man that is tempting.

I can recommend. I did this 10 years ago, best thing I ever spent money on, prior to the Quest2 that is.

I found that queasiness kicks in only when your brain expects you to move in one direction, but the image does something else. So when you start playing aircar, you’re figuring out the controls, and you press something expecting to pitch down and it pitches up instead, and your stomach goes flying. But once it happens exactly as you expect, it’s no longer unpleasant. For what it’s worth, I’ve played a lot of MS Flight Simulator in VR and just never had any nausea from it, and I can only think it’s because everything reacts as your stomach expects. I can’t cope with ‘smooth movement’ in any game though for more than a couple of minutes, and that ISS space station game is the absolute worst.

Tried Ultrawings. Really awesome. Gonna try Elite next.

Question, any suggestions on how to protect the charging port? I’m using the Link cable and even with its strap I’m not fond of how much it could wear on the port. Maybe some kind of extension for the port so I plug the link cable into that rather than the port itself?

I 3d printed a small clip that attaches to the headstrap and holds the cable tucked behind my ear.

It was a simple 30 minute print, msg me and I’ll zip you one up and stick it in a shipping envelope.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4650290

Here’s my loaded VR list. Doesn’t include Elite, because after marveling at how well Frontier did with VR, I started remembering how poorly they did with gameplay.

You’ll want to grab the Oculus store version of Saints and Sinners, too

And of course you’ll want to fire up XWA with the upgrade.

Oh and Skyrim will probably take you an afternoon to get set up and running, so plan for that if you’re in to it

I tried today A Wake Inn and man, it’s janky as fuck. It has three movement schemes, but the three are janky:
-using the wheelchair wheels, but the physics movement isn’t good enough, doing sometimes movements almost on its own, and the chair itself climb up obstacles in weird ways.
-teleport, which is worthless because it’s super short range and I couldn’t see how to change the orientation.
-joystick, but despite having to real, physical joystick in my hands, the option is really to use a virtual joystick on a side of the chair.

Normal object interaction are also somewhat janky. The typical stuff, you open a drawer and have problems closing it in despite doing the same movement. Or you drop an object and it mysterious appears 1.5 mts behind me. You have a ‘grabber’ stick to grab things a bit further away, but it’s more janky than the usual telekinesis/HL alyx gloves than other games use.

It seems their first VR game, but look at The Room VR, it was also their first one it was much better executed.
Graphics are pretty good, at least. I wonder if the story will go somewhere decent or it’s just an excuse to make a puzzle/escape room game.

So today I tried:

• Elite and Squadrons - Impressive visually, but so dull gamewise. Uninstalled.
  • Vader Immortal - Holy shit that’s fun, and I’ve only done the dojo.
  • Eleven Table Tennis - Took me forever to learn how to serve, but the AI is fun.
  • The Thrill of the Fight - I think I found my new exercise routine. Holy shit that’s good.