VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Omg you guys I got virtual desktop working! I had to separate my 2G and 5G networks on my router, but even with a fair connection from the other side of the apartment, it runs near 100% great! Only minor stutters here and there!

I’m without a video card for the foreseeable future so unfortunately I can’t check these out, but…

…perhaps some of you can?

YEah my extender is extending the 2 Ghz signal rather than the 5 Ghz signal, so it’s crap for VR, sadly.

An extender, even if it was 5ghz, always will add up latency. It’s another device introduced in the chain.

Here’s an interesting thing via Reddit that I’m gonna try:

“You can potentially make it even better if the Quest 2 is the only device on the 5Ghz band, by setting every other wireless device in your home to the 2.4ghz band.”

Easy to do if you give it another ssid name.

YEah I separated out the 2 and 5 bands on my router the other day and the Quest 2 is MUCH better over Virtual Desktop, so I’m gonna try this next.

Am I supposed to know what that is?

It’s ‘original soundtrack vol. 4’ for Beat Saber. Basically an update with a bunch of new free songs.

Yeah, I stopped trying to beat him on those harder difficulties. Not gonna happen.

It’s just a sign that I’ve spent way too much of my life playing Beat Saber :P

I promise to stay out of Hard on the new songs guys. But I’ll be crushing Expert :)

Hey, it’s OK. Someone’s gotta be at the top. I don’t mind if you take the top places, I just know that I’m not going to be able to beat them, but it’s all good.

I bought a $40 dollar router on a black friday sale, and I just use it as a Quest-only access point (nothing else on its network), and change the mhz on the main router to not overlap (the 20/40/80 setting).

Then I carry it around and plug it into a my desktop right in the corner of the room I’m in, or to a laptop if I’m not in that room, or to another room in the house through a Moca connection (which does add about ~3.5ms latency, MOCA specifically). Basically using a router like a dedicated wireless-VR adapter.

Ohhh, might you link me to the one you used, please and thank you?

The Virtual Desktop discord maintains a Google Doc with recommended routers at all price ranges, at least it did at the time. I used a TP-Link something that I don’t know if it’s the best choice, it was just on sale at the time.

Okay, from the Discord: “Asus routers, best is RT-AX86U, then Asus AX55U and finally TP-Link Archer C6 as the cheapest option.”

The C6 is what I got, the cheapest one they recommended.

Gosh, they have a lot of linked Sheets in pinned message, I think the fulll list is Oculus Quest 2 Latency Records - Hojas de cálculo de Google

Ohhh, so I could plug this into the ethernet cable here in this room and use it as an access point for the internet for JUST the VR Helmet?

Yeah, so you get direct line of sight from your desktop to the router, and there’s no other traffic on the dedicated router to slow it down. Looks like the C6 is still around $40 dollar price point. I do kind of wish I had upgraded to an even better one (WiFi 6) given how much I use it though…

Oh so I plug it into the line going to the desktop and then plug the desktop into this?

If you’re getting a new router get WiFi 6, which Quest 2 supports.