VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

Edit: or was his purpose to show how bad it currently looks?

I love how Carmack’s avatar is floating in the air with no legs. Do I have to pay more than $1500 to get the lower half of my body?

I’ve wondered why it hasn’t taken off if it’s a superior way to game? Gamers aren’t shy about spending money on technology. I’ve thought about getting a Quest 2 because it’s cheaper than getting a new gaming PC but I can’t work up enough enthusiasm for it.

It’s superior at certain things and inferior at others, and it’s a lot more hassle than just picking up a controller and sitting on the couch.

I hate to even mention this, but it’s a good decision. Although also maybe an unnecessary one. Echo Combat was THE VR competitive game based on Lone Echo, where you’re a robot dragging your useless legs behind you while you had fantastic freedom in zero G to pull yourself around. In the first hour of playing multiplayer I had someone “fingering” me in my crotch in the lobby. Lack of legs equals lack of crotch, which probably is a good thing. Never happened again, though.

Being virtually fingered. Something I never considered. Yay VR!

I got one rather than a new gaming PC, and because of the Quest2 I’m likely to eventually get a new PC for more graphically challenging VR, and nothing else. Unlike Ginger_Yellow, I find throwing the Quest2 on quick and I’m gaming in no time flat, it’s so fast to boot and load games.

Really depends on how much you like the immersion, and your gaming preferences. I’m at the point in life where I can’t devote three hours a night to playing anything, and the Quest library is very much shorter game experiences. But the immersion is so great they are no less meaningful than tripleA games to me, which can often get samey.

I do look forward to a new PC to play things like Flallout4, Cyberpunk etc in VR with mods. But again, I would have let those titles go unplayed forever if it wasn’t for VR, to me it’s the future of gaming that no one knows about yet, with the unfortunate hurdle of getting your sea legs re:motion sickness, depending on the person.

It’s funny how someone mentions VR being isolating, when it’s the thing I can do in the living room with the wife and kids around me, without me monopolizing the tv, and without having to retreat to the office like so many PC gamers do. A quick double tap and you can see the room through the cameras, and interaction is fine with people around.

Only 200k monthly active users for Horizon Worlds, and what few users they get don’t stick. I wonder if this will turn out to be the most expensive gaming flop ever. They’ve spent 20 billion on VR so far, and clearly their vision was something totally different than just being a nice platform for indie games where they actually found success.

I’ve owned a Quest and a Quest 2 for maybe a combined 3+ years and I couldn’t tell you what Horizon Worlds even is without looking it up. I saw it had a terrible rating in the store so never bothered to even download it.

“Over 50% of Quest headsets are no longer used six months after they are purchased.”

That sounds like an even bigger problem to me.

Sounds like most tech gadgets/gimmicks - The Wii was probably the same.

To me, there was a large amount of novelty involved - but after a while, when that wore off, what you had left were games that while impressive in its tech, had little else to offer due to both machines being somewhat less capable than a PC or console.

On his personal blog, Luckey writes of a new VR headset he has designed that uses three embedded explosive charges, planted above the forehead, that can “instantly destroy the brain of the user.” The lethal explosion is triggered via “a narrow-band photosensor that can detect when the screen flashes red at a specific frequency,” Luckey writes, making it easy to set off during a “Game Over” screen.

Luckey writes that “the idea of tying your real life to your virtual avatar has always fascinated me—you instantly raise the stakes to the maximum level and force people to fundamentally rethink how they interact with the virtual world and the players inside it.”

Luckey ties this fascination to Sword Art Online (SAO), a series of Japanese novels (and spinoff anime, video games, etc.) about a virtual reality MMORPG with the same name. In that fiction, November 6, 2022, marks the day when thousands of SAO players are trapped in their NerveGear headsets and threatened with death via a hidden microwave generator if they die in the game (or if they try to remove or tamper with the headset).

That’s not a clickbait title at all! Seems like he designed it, not that he made it.

Not that this makes the idea any less insane.

Hardcore Mode

Reading Luckey’s blog, it sounded like he did make one. He hasn’t used it though.

One can hope. Mostly sounds like Luckey just needed some attention.

It’s like Sartre and Kafka had a digital love child, only it was raised by Jarry.