VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

If it’s any comfort, I’d say a cockpit game is the least likely of any VR experience to make you nauseous.

I thought so too until the X-wing mission almost made me barf!

When everything goes right that’s more than enough time. Reflective surfaces, communication issues, buggy software - these are all things that can greatly increase that time.

So what you are describing is absolutely possible but annoying enough you probably won’t bother.

Interesting. I had heard the opposite, and it made sense that the complete lack of body motion might make your brain even more confused. Would be great if that’s not the case.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Yes! Exactly that.

You’ll often spend enough time tuning your play space (remove objects, avoid reflections, make sure lighthouses don’t shake, run setup until chaperone bounds make most of space, deal with occasional SteamVR crashes etc) that you won’t want to force yourself to do it more than necessary by moving the whole rig around.

Consider a comfy couch in the play space for elite instead.

Diego

On the other hand, cockpit games generally have a non-moving frame, which your brain latches on to. I don’t get nauseous in VR, but the games that make me feel the weirdest are the ones with full screen lateral motion that has no physical correlate, like Lucky’s Tale. Cockpit games have zero effect on me.

Same, except … have you played DCS? :)

Most cockpit games, even racing games post 2003-ish, do have body motion (or head motion, phrase it as you like), with 6 degrees of freedom. Meaning, you can look around instrument guages, lean in to see under windshield tinting, get a better angle around a windshield strut, lean around your seat a bit to look backwards, etc. Most of which was only really applicable using TrackIR, since it would tie up too many buttons and be awkward to use with a controller.

[quote=“BiggerBoat, post:730, topic:77265”]
Interesting. I had heard the opposite, and it made sense that the complete lack of body motion might make your brain even more confused. Would be great if that’s not the case.[/quote]
Everybody is different but there seem to be some pretty hard and fast rules about what makes people sick.

Case #1 - Just standing in VR and physically walking and looking around shouldn’t make anybody sick, even for long durations.

Case #2 - Having the VR camera travel around without you physically moving will make most people sick. It violently affects me, and I don’t get motion sickness in the real world. Think FPS where you use a joystick to move your perspective while you sit or stand still.

A cockpit game is like a halfway point between the two. It’s still moving the camera, which is bad, but they put a cockpit around you like you experience in a car. For me this helps significantly. I still eventually start to feel something, but none of the instant extreme reactions from #2.

Other cases are games like Edge of Nowhere & Lucky’s Tale. They use various tricks like confining the view when moving, never using lateral or rotational movement, or shrinking the viewport. This can help immensely with #2 as well. I still can start to feel a bit icky if I play these games for too long but I usually have lots of warning and it’s a pretty gradual climb.

The Oculus store does a good job with the comfort level ratings.

Lucky’s Tale has loads of lateral movement. That’s probably why it’s the only game that gives me any problems.

Exactly! In a cockpit game, there is no ‘complete lack of body motion’ - it’s actually 1:1. The player moves their torso and head around while in the cockpit and this is reflected exactly in the virtual world.

Yep, the comfort rating in the Oculus store is generally based around the amount/speed of camera or player motion. Poor performance can also make you feel sick, which maybe why DCS is so hurl-inducing for a cockpit game.

AeroFly FS 2 just added $9.99 New York City area DLC.

And it’s the most amazing scenery I’ve ever seen in a flight sim. Silky smooth in VR with my GTX 1080.

The thing that kills the scenery for me a bit is the water. It’s just a flat photo, with no motion or shader work.

Yeah, that’s an artifact of early access. They’ll eventually wetten up the water. :)

That does indeed look pretty good. Best rendition of New York in a flight sim to date, certainly. You get decent performance with that number of 3D objects? FSX or Prepar3D would come to a standstill.

On a related note, there are some rumors kicking around that Orbx will soon be offering scenery for Aerofly. Hopefully they would maintain the mix of satellite scenery with hand-placed 3D that Aerofly uses for regions like the New York DLC.

The interpretation most people are going with on the forum is that Orbx is going fully cross-platform, making scenery for Aerofly, DoveTail’s new sim, P3D and surprisingly, Xplane. Not confirmed though.

In Aerofly’s case I guess that means supplying autogen models and placement in their photscenery, since it doesn’t really look like there’s need for generic tiling, unless it’s to fill in regions outside of the currently provided scope.

I’m debating whether to buy a few Orbx regions on sale, or try Aerofly, this holiday. My computer is aging and tired, and FSX is only ok at medium settings, but there are moments with Orbx scenery that make it truly worthwhile… whereas in Aerofly I’d probably get much better performance, at the cost of significantly higher SSD space, and huge patches devoid of autogen, stale clouds, no water animation, traffic… tricky. Hopefully Aerofly gets a good sale price and makes it easy on me.

Aerofly FS 2 is 10% off right now. Not huge, but considering the amount of detailed photoscenery, the number of planes, etc. it’s a killer deal compared to your typical FSX add-ons. It’s an amazing VR experience, but I can also run with a smooth frame-rate at 3840x1440 on my stock monitor with everything cranked on my GTX 1080, so your “tired” system can very likely pull off some surprisingly good performance at more sane resolutions.

Thumper is one of the coolest VR experiences I’ve tried yet. Very recommended!

Fortresscraft Evolved patch 15 today added some preliminary VR support.

The dev claims it’s not really playable yet but it’s a good sign of things to come. The game is currently on sale as well. :)

• This isn’t going to get by on VR minimum spec. 1060 or above, pick a lower detail setting than 2d!
  • Should work on Touch and Vive
  • There’s no specific plans on release or support.
  • This is just a preview version, so I can get feedback
  • It’ll either be free, a paid-for DLC to cover the cost of the work, or a completely separate version. It depends on the scope of the work, really.

Bought a Vive. Had a bunch of fun with the family yesterday. Tough to get my turn :)

Google Earth is really the killer app. Being able to go anywhere in the world, and see the scenery at scale, is amaze-balls.

Recommend me a game to buy! Preferably something on the Steam sale that makes use of room scale.

Edit: Also, price alert, the Vive is currently $699 (instead of $799) with an additional $100 gift card at the Microsoft Store.