VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

By golly this thing is neat. Google Earth VR is clearly the standout, but I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve played of Space Pirate Trainer and Job Simulator as well.

Oh boy oh boy.[quote]Introversion joins the VR party! After Prison Architect, our most successful game is DEFCON - a nuclear war strategy game inspired by the 80s movie War games (If you’ve not seen it, do yourself a favour and check it out over the weekend)

DEFCON VR allows you to spectate DEFCON games in the comfort of your own virtual War Room. Join others and marvel at total global annihilation as nuclear missiles arc over the globe on their path to destruction.

We’re giving away a prototype on steam, but if there’s enough interest we may decide to carry on and build a fully playable version of DEFCON in VR - lets us know what you think in the comments of the video.[/quote]

That sounds pretty cool.

If they did a playable version with Touch controls I’d be in heaven. But I can’t imagine it’s worth the development time financially.

I like the idea of adding VR spectating to games – they did it for Dota around the time of the Invitational, and it was pretty cool. For something simpler like DEFCON, it seems like they should have just jumped straight to the playable version.

I wish Valve would do the same for Counter-Strike, only because I prefer watching that over Dota. But, baby steps, I guess.

Man, I would love to watch some of fhe competitive counter strike in VR, that would be really cool.

I forgive them for the Bridge Crew delay.

The original Enterprise bridge? If the game somehow turns out to be really good, I may end up being the subject of one of those “Man found dead at computer after playing game for 95 hours straight with no food or water” Weird News articles.

Totally on board with this. Delay as long as necessary!

Diego

I suppose a remaster of the Star Trek 25th Anniversary adventure game could work in VR. There’s not a whole lot of movement involved from what I recall. Most of it could be done using hotspots. Even the starship controls could be done from a seated position.

Yeah, I hope we can assemble a good bridge crew on the PSVR - that game is an auto-purchase for me, and the original enterprise bridge is a great addition.

Question: What is it about VR that enables a sense of scale? Is there technical trickery involved, or is it just that you have your eyes essentially up against the screen? Cockpits seem massive in Elite, as does the terrain in Vivecraft. Stepping back from the globe in Google Earth is awe-inspiring. I’s probably the most impressive part of VR.

I’m no expert, but … I think it’s just the way your brain works. In the real world, when you’re looking at something in parallax stereo then you’ll get some sense of scale. Roughly, the brain works out distance to the object based on the amount each eye needs to rotate to converge on it, and then works out the scale by how much field of view it occupies.

It’s the same in VR.

In VR the distance between the in-game stereo cameras (virtual IPD*) determines the perception of scale - increase/decrease that distance and everything in-game looks bigger/smaller. So I guess the technical trickery involved is in making sure that when everything is modelled to real-world scale, and the virtual IPD (distance between game cameras) matches the physical IPD (distance between lenses/pupils) then the scale matches the brain’s expectation.

*Interpupillary distance, the distance between your pupils

Yep, it’s awesome hey. :)

Sony put up a new thing for PSVR. The Joshua Bell VR Experience. It’s rather well done, it’s a step beyond a 360 video as it allows a limited amount of of full positional tracking so you can lean in, out,up,or down as well.

Speaking of PSVR, Codemasters just released Dirt Rally PSVR support via paid DLC.

After watching too many TV commercials, my step father is all excited about VR. He is not a technology guy, but is aging with some serious health issues and really wants to “experience it.” I don’t own any VR options as frankly it looks like too early tech that probably won’t ever go anywhere. Are there any cheap options? Or even a place you can just demo it? I thought about just sucking it up and getting PlayStation VR, but I am pretty sure he would be done with it in 30 seconds. Any ideas?

Best Buy had some demo stations for the Rift, but I think it was posted a little earlier in this thread that they’re closing some of them.

Yeah Best Buy is your best bet for the Rift or a Microsoft Store for the Vive.

Ah. Ok, I’ll call around to the local Best Buys. Thanks guys!

Sony has officially reported 915,000 headsets sold between launch and Feb 19th.

Really sounds like better games are needed:

Capcom, a Japanese game maker…released a new installment in its popular horror series, Resident Evil 7 biohazard in January that is entirely playable in virtual reality. Since that game was released, the average amount of time PlayStation VR users spend playing in the headset has doubled, Mr. House said.