VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

So, IMO, the big experiment is going on with the NCAA:

I’m really thinking of trying this. It is not a lot of money and will give me an idea how much they improve year on year because quite frankly, I think Sports is where the $$ are at in VR.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Basketball in general seems to be ahead of the curve on this. The NBA has a bunch of VR content. So does the MLB, but none of it was in-game last I looked.

I agree that VR basketball sounds like a great idea. I would definitely try it if I had the gear. First thing I thought was actually “Is there a way I can rent VR gear to try it out?”

But I don’t get that press release - it says $8 for “all 6 games” then goes on to talk about how it’s going to be available for the sweet 16, elite 8 and final 4. So I’m left thinking “which 6 games were you referring to exactly?”

Regardless, sounds like something to try.

From the article:
Virtual reality coverage, powered by Intel, will be available for Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games – the first time either rounds have been available in VR – originating from the West Region in San Jose, along with the NCAA Final Four National Semifinals and National Championship from Phoenix.

So it includes only the games played in San Jose and Phoenix.

I watched some of the olympics in VR stuff that NBC did. I think it is really cool to see the different perspective that a member of the crowd gets. The sense of scale changes quite a bit when you are poolside watching high divers.

They did some WWE event things in VR a year ago, and that was neat. Sitting ringside with the pyro, watching dudes get slammed into tables from 10 feet away. Very cool stuff.

I know that was what impressed my parents the most about VR. The VR video stuff is very cool. There is a blue angels fly-along that is spectacular.

So Bethesda is going to show off Fallout 4 VR at E3. Be interesting to see if it’s literally the full game playable in VR mode.

Finally tried VR for the first time. HTC Vive, big room, 2 hours with it.
Yeah it is god damn awesome. I hated the huge cable that I was stepping on and into, and the screendoor effect was noticeable and annoying, and image quality in general is not quite there, but it was still amazing. Not amazing enough for me to buy it in its current state, but amazing enough that I hope it develops further and these kinks get worked out as soon as possible. Rollercoaster demo gave me a real sense of vertigo and I had to do some hardcore feet balancing to prevent falling. The whale almost smacking me in the face with its 10 meter tail was quite something. Climbing Everest was cool and made me never want to do it in real life.
nVidia VR Funhouse was short but fun, amazing graphics and physics. Then we played some snowball fight in multiplayer, pretty fun for 10 minutes. And the space shooter wave thing.
Good thing is that I never felt sick or anything like that. Just transported somewhere else. I was hoping that would be the case.

I am >< this close to pulling the trigger on an oculus CV1 for elite and DCS. It’s been at 500Euro’s for a bit and that’s right at the edge of my maximum budget for gadgetry.

I wonder, did any of the propellor fighter sims ever get the VR treatment?

Here’s a decent rundown of flight sim experiences in VR.

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/ten-beyond-awesome-vr-flight-experiences/

War Thunder is the only prop fighter sim I’m aware of right now, though IL-2 will be adding support.

Yeah, IL-2’s got VR running in internal beta, and DCS will have the Normandy scenery out soon.

Really nice Corsair and P-38 in Aerofly FS 2, if you don’t mind flying peacefully. :)

Finally! I’ll believe that once it ships, at which time I can finally put this game into my Steam cart. :)

Bye Palmer!

Who was that masked man?

To that:

The news I’m waiting on is if they are going to support multiple vendors or are they still pitching HTC Vive.

Any word on VR for the PS4 adaptation of Elite?

UploadVR wrote up a summary of their multiplayer experiences with Star Trek Bridge Commander, which they liked a lot:https://uploadvr.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-enterprise-preview/

One great feature is that it will allow cross platform play, which should make it a lot easier to assemble a crew. I’m definitely in for this one.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-looks-to-commercial-markets-after-slower-than-expected-psvr-sales/0181026

Surely you have a PC to play ED on, Desslock.

Yep, but no PC VR

The waiting is over! IL:2 Battle of Stalingrad VR Support patch is here! :)