VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Hilarious:

Edit: Sjin: How can you see I’m doing that?

Their flailing trying to use the “classic” bridge was pretty funny.

OMG. Can’t wait to play this (minus the whacking off motions).

It’s like Star Trek Online and Artemis Bridge Commander had an offspring that, while dim-witted, was gorgeous and a blast to goof around with.

Reports on IL2 VR tipped me to investing in an Oculus; the much needed killer app if you will. I’m guessing I’m not alone in this. I came into it completely cold, never trying a VR demo. IL2 BOS was also brand new to me, although I am well versed in WW2 flight sims.

Truly amazing. I have to say that I was expecting the wow from looking out the window and feeling the sense of scale, but the more immediate impressive aspect was looking around the cockpit, moving my head closer to inspect panels and dials and read small text. Virtual reality indeed.

As has been noted, resolution is a major issue. Over the years we have pushing more and more pixels. In that regard, this feels like a major step back. I mean, I know that the system will be majorly improved in the next round. It is difficult justifying the $500 price tag on something so obviously temporary.

I suppose it depends on how much time you have to enjoy this iteration, because it will be quite worthless once the next one comes out. It’s not like a console where you can enjoy “retro” titles for years to come. I haven’t decided whether to return the system. With my work and family schedule I would only get about one hour a week out of it. This indecision is a testament to how fantastic the experience is.

If you go in knowing that, and have been on the fence waiting for that killer app. Well I submit IL2. This is no tech demo. This is a full game, top in the genre. It will only get better and honestly I can not WAIT to play this thing in higher definition VR. If you have oodles of time, well go for it. Equivalent to investing in SLI voodoo 2’s back in the day. First gen of a game changing technology.

I tried out the HTC Vive today, as our TV station had gone to the Cologne Cathedral and filmed some VR footage there. Since this was the first time I’ve experienced any VR since 1993, it was pretty cool! Only thing that really bugged me was how out of focus / “soft” everything looked. Either this is an inherent problem with the Vive (possible related to the low resolution issues I’ve read about) or the person demoing the hardware didn’t have a clue how to set it up (wouldn’t surprise me).

Based on this experience I’m not convinced to drop 900€ on this tech yet. But hey, perhaps I need more time and different aps to really get a better sense for it.

BTW Not sure if this will work outside of germany, but there seem to be oculus / steam VR / apple / android links on our website if anyone wants to try it out.

Yup. That’s real. There are multiple posts from people that saw Palmer Luckey cosplaying as Quiet in Tokushima, Japan.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1N0UjV3

Actual VR news today. Facebook is killing their Story Studio.

[quote]
“We’ve been looking at the best way to allocate our resources to create an impact on the ecosystem,” said Oculus VP of Content Jason Rubin in a blog post. “After careful consideration, we’ve decided to shift our focus away from internal content creation to support more external production. As part of that shift, we’ll be winding down Story Studio.”[/quote]

All ongoing projects are cancelled, including an adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s The Wolves in the Walls. Story Studio won an Emmy for Henry in the 2016 Outstanding Original Interactive Program category.

cough Elite: Dangerous. Same deal, but in space. I’d also add Dirt Rally on the race sim side. Project Cars has great VR support too. :)

Yup. Il-2 and E:D are the twin peaks of VR awesomeness.

So, cockpit games are the VR pinnacle? I want a little more than that before I dump hundreds in cash to get the hardware to jump in. I really want a cool MMO or at least a cool single-player RPG with substance.

So maybe in another year or two, it seems.

Fallout 4 VR can’t be far off now. Though given the recent legal battles between Zenimax and Oculus, I’d wager a HTC exclusive on that one. :(

So far, yes.

I disagree, strongly. Superhot VR is the pinnacle of VR so far. Star trek VR might surpass but who knows yet.

Superhot VR is pretty awesome, yeah. But it’s quite short and nowhere near the scope/longevity of an Elite or IL-2.

After trying Vive a few weeks back, Superhot is the game that made a colleague order one.

I agree that cockpit games (Il2, Elite, Cars) are where current gen VR shines. You don’t need to clear out an entire room for it and it wont make you as nauseous as games first person games because of the disconnect between (spatial) perception and proprioception (the knowledge the brain has of the position and condition of the limbs and body)

On the other hand, if a cockpit is what you crave (and I do, always have, always will) VR, even crappy current gen vr is the absolute pinnacle.

Anyway, I tried ‘Keep talking and nobody explodes’ yesterday. Its a puzzle game where one person wears the rift and faces a bomb she needs to defuse. The other player has the manual and needs to help the VR player figure out and solve the puzzle. We printed out the manual for extra hilarity as shuffling paper and making notes increased the confusion. Much fun! such a clever party game as it makes use of the isolation VR goggles incur.

I don’t know if it’s that cockpit games are the pinnacle, but for the sim crowd, VR is at the point where the investment pays off in spades.

But calling it the pinnacle is personal gaming taste. Mark mentions MMOs – VR would have hit holodeck level before I’d spend my time playing those. :)