VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I’m curious to see how the Virtuix Omni works out. I’m not sure how you would handle going prone with a set up like that.

Nor changing clothes!

The criticism that I commonly see in reviews of the Virtuix Omni and other “slip-mills” is that slipping on a concave surface doesn’t feel the same as natural walking. The question becomes: would you rather simulate something inaccurately or not simulate it at all?

There is also the question of whether treadmills or slip-mills can prevent motion sickness. The vestibular system in our inner ears is able to detect our bodies’ translation by measuring linear acceleration through the use a structure known as an otolith. Here are two videos demonstrating the Virtuix Omni as well as the Infinadeck, a powered omnidirectional treadmill:

As you can see, both solutions do their best to keep the user squarely in the center of the platform during movement. This means that there is little or no linear acceleration occurring in an earth fixed reference frame.

Some users of the Omni nonetheless claim that the device mitigates motion sickness, noting that the mere motion of running makes them feel less detached from the virtual experience. This is known as proprioception, the brain’s ability to know where one’s body parts are in relation to each other at any given time. Proprioception, along with sensory conflict and vergence-accommodation conflict, is thought to be yet another factor that contributes to VR sickness.

Deus Vult just came out like yesterday or the day before.

Multiplayer VR Swordfighting. Do I have to say more?

It’s not perfect, needs work, but it works good enough and is a hell of a lot of fun. You can actually block swords with your sword, and do things like keep your sword on top of theirs to keep it down, etc. You move by grabbing the air and pulling (like your’e pulling a rope, similar to climbey and other games). You can also use thumbstick for very slow movement. I usually win matches by pulling at the air, sliding to the side of them and throwing in a slow side swipe. I also use overheads a lot because that’s what they’re usually not defending.

I’m working up my skill right now, so I can’t really comment too much on the physics or balance. I’m having loads of fun.

edit: Oh yeah, this game is EXHAUSTING. After a few matches I have to stop because I am out of breath :)

Lose weight while having the time of your life? I’m in :)

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is out! Anyone else planning to get it? I’d be up for some Starship QT3 action if so. I believe it’s cross platform as well.

Waiting to see how it’s received first on the PS4. I’m not a big Star Trek fan but it looks pretty neat.

Lots of people streaming it right now.

I am going home from work today, feeding the cats, warning my family to check on me and make sure that I consume food and water, and beaming up.

Anybody know if the game has a way to organize qt3 folks who are invested in playing together?

I’m going to need single player practice to learn the various stations, but guessing some of us will eventually want to play together.

Diego

Downloading Bridge Crew right now. It’s a shame that I won’t have time to try it tonight. Definitely like to try playing with folks here.

Went to buy it and can’t decide whether to buy it on Steam or the Oculus Store. I have a Rift, but right now the matchmaking between Oculus Store users and Steam users is apparently not working right. I’d go for Steam as it’s more future-proof, but I’m concerned that version might use Steam VR for the Rift instead of the Oculus SDK… Hate using Steam VR if I can avoid it because the Oculus SDK just works better with the Rift.

steam. definately steam. fuck that dumb piece of bloatware from oculus.

According to reddit the steam version still can use the oculus SDK

Bought it for PSVR. Did the training and some story missions solo. So far so good. I’m hooked in through Uplay so I guess I should be able to join with Vive or Oculus peeps. Screen name is Capt Cruller. But I’ll play any role. :)

Unfortunately based on what I’ve read from reddit, you can’t do cross-play with friends right now. The cross play only seems to support quick play with randoms.

I did do some of the tutorial last night. This looks like the sort of game that with the right group it could really shine. I did do something dumb in the tutorial though. I had done the helm section and was working on tactical. When it came time to fire phasers they wouldn’t fire… my addled tired brain didn’t register that the enemy ship wasn’t in the firing arc. Turns out it spawned right where I left it when I was done with the helm tutorial…where I had been screwing around. Had to go back to helm and put it back in the arc.

While I’m not a Star Trek guy, and I don’t own any VR, watching groups of folks playing this together on Twitch last night looked like a hell of an experience. Ultimate nerd party game detected Captain.

Also saw some streams of it on twitch. Looked hilariously amusing.

Steam version is it. Thanks for confirming my Oculus SDK question!

Ok, so the crossplay in private lobbies has been fixed, you can now invite your friends to a cross-play session. Yay.