VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Ohh ok, cool.

And yeah, I think I’m available all weekend.

Supposedly they’re working on them, but they’re not in the game now.

Am I correct in thinking that you consider the multiplayer support superfluous because you can adequately command A.I. crewmembers from the captain’s seat? If the developers had stripped out A.I. crewmembers and required you to play with other humans, changing nothing else, would you then consider the design to be adequately geared toward multiplayer?

I’ve played several missions, spent hours listening to people talk about strategy on discord, and I have to say, there is no way you could play this anywhere near as effectively single player as you can on a team using voice comms.

You need to coordinate several people at the same time, which includes steering the ship, choosing and firing on targets, hacking their sub-systems, doing full power re-routes from phasers to shields and engines, transporting crew, repairing the ship in combat. The key is all of this happens simultaneously.

Even if you had far better commands for the AI so they could accomplish these tasks (which you don’t), you would have to do it over and over again in the heat of combat, and it would become tedious (if it weren’t already impossible).

If you still disagree Tom, try beating episode 5 with 100% hull and 40% shields remaining, which has been done by a user in the discord and his team named “BrightCandle”.

This is a lot of fun but it is pretty disappointing there are only five missions – and really, only the last two pose any real challenge. So you are looking at maybe an hour or two or challenging, interesting campaign gameplay. With a little more depth (like Bridge Commander, with phaser arcs and full 3D movement in space , etc) and about ten more missions, this could’ve been amazing. I hear the developers have indicated in the Oculus store backend that DLC will be coming, so hopefully that’s the case.

Given that each “mission” is a lightly scripted series of events with no CGI and a limited voiceover, the fact there’s only five is actually pretty shocking.

Isn’t there supposed to be some random mission generation mode?

On that subject: Any hints for the third mission (swimming with the sharks) ? I’m finding it plenty hard playing alone since i can’t jump stations quickly enough to keep up with the chaos.

Yes, there is an endless/random mode.

The Bridge Crew community seems very, very willing to roleplay, as long as someone breaks the ice first. I adlibbed a “Captain’s Log” based on the random mission objective and that led to 30 minutes of “Aye Captains” and “Shields at XX%” and “Engages” – for me, it’s as much a roleplaying game as a starship simulator. As someone who has long fantasized about living in Star Trek, it’s a real treat.

That said… I wonder about the longevity of the game. It seems pretty light on content and two of the stations (Helm and especially Engineer) don’t have nearly as much to do as the other two.

Hopefully it sells well enough to warrant DLC and bridge skins.

That just means they took into account the extra difficulty in trying to master the accent for those two posts.

I kind of like the Engineering station.

Ugh still haven’t really had a chance to play Bridge Comnmander yet. I’ve been fighting a cold for about a week. Putting on the headset when you are a walking mucus factory? yeah…not a good idea. Especially multiplayer.

Captain: Set course for
Helm: ::blows nose loudly::
Captain Set course
Helm: ::Blows again::
Captain: Damnit Oscuros get to sick bay!

I meant to try to set something up for this weekend but had family stuff come up.

Anyone want to try it out in the next couple of days?

I get home about 530 Central time and am up til about 10 central.

I’m travelling the next few days, unfortunately. I can do this weekend though.

I’ll take you up on that for sure. Wife is out of town this weekend, so I imagine I’ll just play games.

I’m up for it too!

I’ve only been Engineer once, on a randomly generated mission, but my sole contribution was charging the warp coils. None of my tinkering with the power had any discernible impact on the mission. To keep it interesting I’d occasionally announce “Hull still at 100%, captain!” but after a while I stopped getting laughs. I probably turned the holographic ship damage thingie on and off 50 times. I’m sure on more difficult missions the Engineer has more value… at least I hope that’s the case!

Yeah, I can see that. Tactical certainly seems the cool one. Helm doesn’t seem that bad, but haven’t really messed with it.

I’ve yet to get far enough to take damage, but presumably when you’re under fire engineering is going to have a lot more to do.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Helm seems like something that might get sorta hectic, too, if all hell breaks loose.