VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Yeah no. I’ve been trying to beat mission 3 by myself and keep getting blown to bits.

Picked up Superhot for the Vive. The campaign was pretty short and not as challenging as I might have expected, but I am having a ton of fun with endless mode. All of the slow, deliberate motions make it feel like Tai Chi with guns.

Also ordered the new deluxe audio strap. I’d say it’s only slightly more comfortable. I’ve got an odd-shaped head, though, so I don’t think any solution is going to feel great. The value for me is more in the convenience. Super quick and easy to take on and off, and no more fiddling with ear buds. It’s much nicer for when me and the wife are taking turns punching music in Soundboxing.

Also turned on my Vive last week after coming back from vacation and there’s this whole new Steam VR Home thing. I looked at the list of quests to get little tchotchkies to decorate your pad and realized I was in big, big trouble. I simultaneously hate and can’t resist that stuff,

I think the new audio strap is reasonable value. Comfort was the Vive’s weakest point compared to Oculus and PSVR, and (at least for me) the new strap fixes that.

The new Steam VR home is a neat bit of customization and goofiness. I think it’s a great idea since people love to decorate their environments & i’m SURE Valve will manage to sell a zillion hats and toys and other bits & bobs for your rooms.

Diego

Thisclose to pulling the trigger on a Vive. Anyone want to tell me what a great idea it is or what a mistake I’m making?

You can get an oculus setup cheaper. I’ve not done a direct comparison, but I like my oculus.

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-Touch-Bundle/dp/B072F64645?th=1

edit:

to explain why I picked Oculus over Vive is because I like Carmack and I think the Touch controllers look a lot better than the Vive ones. Otherwise, I’ve heard they’re very similar.

Yeah I went Oculus as well and dont regret it. That said the Vive is just fine I have heard no complaints and I enjoyed using it a lot as well. I dont think you can make a bad choice with either.

@RichVR my only advice is expectation. If you go into buying a VR headset expecting to have amazing new experiences and using it once every week or two then you are going to have a blast. If you expect it to replace your regular PC gaming setup then you are going to be dissapointed.

DO research the setup/tear down steps for your system though. That is often a shock to new users (particlularly Vive). Just know what you are getting into because remember my other point. You are going to be plugging and unplugging this thing fairly regularly so it pays to have a plan in advance.

I say go for it.

Thanks folks. I have really done a lot of research. And I understand this part. [quote=“Rod_Humble, post:1072, topic:77265”]
If you go into buying a VR headset expecting to have amazing new experiences and using it once every week or two then you are going to have a blast. If you expect it to replace your regular PC gaming setup then you are going to be dissapointed.
[/quote]

So trigger pulled on the Vive.

Awesome! Please post your experiences!

One of us, one of us! :)

Nice! If you like space sims, Elite Dangerous will make you glad you bought it! I can’t wait for more mainstream stuff to get VR support! Fallout 4 VR info tonight, supposedly!

Between sous vide and VR I’ve been seeing this a lot. :)[quote=“Jason_McMaster, post:1075, topic:77265”]
Elite Dangerous will make you glad you bought it!
[/quote]

I have it. And they are bundling the Star Trek Bridge Crew as well. Really looking forward to it.

Question. What can I use to show the wife how great a purchase this really is? ;)

My CV1 should come in this week to replace my DK2, so it’s going to be a VRtastic week! I just gotta resist buying the Touch until I get the rest set up.

I’m almost afraid to give Sarah the DK2, she might not ever stop playing Subnautica.

Which, btw, is an amazing VR experience.

Oh man you are going to dig the upgrade SOOO much!

yeah, I’m tired of the screen door. I wear glasses, but they sit pretty closed to my face and I had no trouble in the DK2. That was my only concern.

I keep wondering when VR will have settings that allow you to use it without glasses. Some DSLR cameras have settings that let me shoot without glasses on. Of course this is much harder when using two eyes.

Think this will be the year I’ll buy in as well. Waiting on TPCast to make it into actual consumer hands.

Just got the email with the Steam code for Bridge Crew. Unit scheduled for this Thursday. Seems that @Editer answered my question earlier in the thread.

My launch oculus isn’t turning on anymore. Shows A OK in the Oculus settings but the screen never turns on, even though the face sensor blinks on and off if you get close.

Need to get off my butt and deal with their support to get it fixed =(

Vive support was surprisingly pleasant when I needed to replace a lighthouse, but I hate dealing with all of it even when they do a good job.

What are you doing that you’ve broken TWO VR headsets? ;)

Shh. Bby, is okay. ;)