VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

So it came two days early. Still haven’t set it up. Printed out the full manual and redeemed a code for free stuff. Quick notes: The headset is a lot smaller and lighter than I had thought. It comes with a game where you take an elevator up to a board some 100 stories in the air. Then you walk across it. Like a guy in a Stephen King short story. It’s called, I shit you not, Richie’s Plank Experience. A little close to home HTC.

If you haven’t downloaded the Google Earth app yet, I’d do so ASAP. I think that alone made the Vive worth the purchase for me.

Already done. I’ve been doing some research. Also have Rec Room.

So how do you like your new toy so far? Any headaches or nausea?

Installing now. Much climbing of ladders and drilling holes. More to come.

What?? You mounting a love swing or something?

I’d like to say, after considered examination. HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHITBALLS! I LOVE THIS THING! The most important part was the fact that the wife was totally not interested. So I set her up with the headset and the controllers. Then I watch her flail about like an idiot trying to catch a butterfly. And then it landed on a controller. And she was blown away. Understand that this is just the SteamVR set up phase.

At this point I have Shot Forge, The Lab, ShapeLab, Ripple Effect, In Mind, Rec Room and Star Trek VR. And I haven’t tried any of them yet.

Time to relax. Tomorrow, I go deep. Very deep.

Edit: My walls are shit. It looks like the anchors for the base stations are for double thick 3/5 in drywall. My walls seem to be single thick 3/5. So I had to find better anchors than what came with the kit. They’ll do for now. But I’d rather buy, which I did, the stand set. $45 is okay. When that gets here re-calibration will be done.

Did I say AMAZEBALLS! Because I should have.

Hell yeah!!!

Google Earth. Much wow.

This. I really think there is a future in VR tourism.

I knew the Vive setup was a nightmare (that Steam video lol), but I didn’t realize it required putting holes in walls.

It’s either walls or monitors, so walls seems like the safer choice.

So I ran Star Trek tonight. I’m still blown away by having butterflies land on my controllers in the Steam VR room. So just seeing the huge planet with the asteroids and the Ubisoft logo was like HOLY SHIT!

The wife was watching me look at my outfit in the game and laughing. I have great legs. :)

Gosh, me too (and wish there were more heads & styles in the game) !

Related note: How about different ships and bridge & uniform skins? Not as necessary as more missions, but fun!

Diego

Okay, so I’ve got a new issue–when I set the output device in Windows to the HTC-Vive, the level in the volume mixer goes to 0% and can’t be changed. I try to drag the slider up and it just jumps back down to the bottom. This hasn’t happened to me previously… any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind… I guess restarting my PC fixed whatever the problem was.

Played around a lot with my new oculus touch.

The Oculus touch tutorial thing is really good. The whole family loved it.
Tiltebrush is a heckuva a lot of fun
Discovering Space 2 is also very good. A nice alternate way of looking at things if you want a break from Elite Dangerous (which is still space king)
Google Earth VR is great but is also vomit inducing in longer sessions. Upper limit is 5 mins for me.

All in all a great time. I need to do the Trekkie bridge game next!

That’s the ‘first contact’ thing hey? It’s excellent! Such a great ‘wow’ intro to touch controls. Also cool to try is the previous demo, the Oculus Toybox. So cool - much less polished, but grabbing things and smashing them into other things, bouncing a ball on a paddle, throwing boomerang things, all sorts of tactile interactions.

Does Touch still come with Quill and Medium? Quill is like Tiltbrush but more ‘painty’, less ‘effecty’. With great zoomable paintings.

Medium is def. worth a try, sculpting in VR is so intuitive! Though it’s a bit difficult to learn to move your hands accurately in 3D, molding shapes in clay and spraypainting them is awesome. Most interesting I think is the way they’ve done the tutorials - the tutor’s avatar is sculpting away in VR next to you, chatting in your ear (you can play/pause them etc.). Of course you can record your own as well.

This seems like a very good fit for MMOs, but I haven’t heard much about that genre. Anyone know of anything that’s available or in development?

I don’t think it’s a good fit for MMOs as currently designed - free locomotion is a big no-no and you’d need to design the game around teleporting, you’re fairly limited in the number of inputs a game can have (unless you can rely on people having a HOTAS or similar), and it can be tricky to read text. Inventory management would probably be a nightmare. It can be great for social gaming, however, as demonstrated by the likes of Star Trek and Keep Talking…, so potentially some new kind of “MMO” would be amazing, but it wouldn’t look anything like WoW.