VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I just got my headset today (ordered from Amazon late afternoon on the 11th) Touch controllers MIA with expected delivery date of Aug 7th (although it said the same for the headset as well, until it magically flipped last Thursday.)

I haven’t heard of anyone on other forums getting hit by Canadian customs ordering directly from Oculus during this sale.

I’m in the US and ordered the… second day the sale started, I think it was. I don’t even have a confirmed ship date yet! :)

I ordered that 1st afternoon it was up. I guess I was lucky to get in before inventory was depleted.

Yeah mine also shipped next day fwiw. Ordered day 1.

Did you also tick the setting that changes it back on exit? :)

I ordered from Amazon on 7/11 and nothing has shipped yet for me. The headset is “expected by July 28th” and the touch controllers by August 1st.

In the meantime, I installed a new USB 3.0 PCIe card so now my PC passes the VR compatibility checker. Also pre-ordered Lone Echo so I’ll have something cool to play.

If you like the flight stuff, Aerofly FS 2 is the game to get. So awesome.

Has anyone played Lone Echo? It sounds absolutely incredible after hearing Jeff Cannata rave about it on his DLC podcast this week. It’s published by Oculus Studios (exclusive) and created by Ready at Dawn (The Order 1886), and is a space station exploratory adventure game from what it sounds like. Jeff mentioned that he’s pretty prone to motion sickness but that the zero-gravity movement in this game felt completely natural to him and never once got him sick even after playing for 4 hours straight.

Not having my own VR headset is really getting difficult these days!

Tons of good buzz for both their games: Lone Echo and Echo Arena – both of which I guess use the same zero-G movement system (?)

I’ve held off on doing the Revive thing, but not having these on Vive is a bummer. I really want to try them out.

Ah, I knew they were different games but had no idea they were both created by the same developer! Just thought it was a naming coincidence.

Very cool that Echo Arena is essentially a free demo of what they did in Lone Echo.

Echo Arena is the multiplayer component. It’s only free for awhile, presumably to get a stable player base. But it also kind of works as a demo yeah.

If you mean the pull down setting, then yes. Tried it again last night with the same results. It’s only Dirt Rally that does it. Incidentally, I notice that in the SteamVR Home center panel that shows all my VR-compatible Steam games, Dirt Rally and AAAaaAAa!! are missing, and those are the only two giving me technical problems.

Been goofing around in War Thunder (mostly in test flight mode, so I can last more than 30 seconds), and I get a huge kick out of leaning my head out of the open cockpit and looking down the side of the fuselage at the ground below.

Have my eye on this one and The Climb once I get my lens inserts.

I’ve played both. I haven’t finished Lone Echo yet, I’m restarting actually so I can savor it some more after rushing a bit during the first 1/3.

It’s the best thing in VR ever, easy.

The downside is that the story is a pretty standard story, at least what I’ve played of it. The metaplot is nothing you haven’t seen in a million scifi titles before. But the environment and movement . . .

First note: This is probably the only title available that has free movement that doesn’t make you sick. This is HUGE. The movement also feels absolutely perfect, I mean down to the ground immersion where you’re ducking your head because you don’t want to bump it against that fusion reactor.

The other great, great thing is that they’ve wrung out much more functionality from the hand controls, and they’ve done so perfectly in context with the game, which is a huge boost to immersion. For example, playing a racing game with a controller will always be less immersive than playing it with a full wheel and pedals setup. It’s only natural. And pushing buttons on a hand controller that does something in the game world that isn’t pushing a button on a hand controller will always feel a bit wrong.

So in Lone Echo they did a genius thing: You have jets on both hands (which do indeed require a button press) and a booster on your back, and a cutting laser in your wrist, and a scanner in your arm, and a holo computer on your hand, and a headlamp in your . . . well . . . head. Instead of “Push the X button for the cutting laser, push the Y button for the computer” you just look down at your lovely, lovely robot hands and push the button. with your real-world finger. And it feels perfectly natural.

So you push the button on the underside of your wrist (which means you are touching your real wrist with your real finger in the real world) and the cutting laser pops out of your hand. Top of wrist, scanner. Temple of your head, headlight, etc. It’s a system that seems so obvious once you see it, but it makes a massive difference in not taking you out of the story. If you have to cut through something, then you float around and look at it and think about how you want to cut it and you naturally turn over your wrist and hit the button without looking because it’s your wrist, you’ve done this thousands of times in your life. It’s what you would do in the real world to open a pocketknife while you consider cutting into a box, or somesuch.

Visually it’s very good as well. Obviously there are limitations to resolution in VR right now, but this is a title that you can tell was made up to a beyond the capabilities of the hardware. It’s smaller overall than a modern AAA game on the PC, most estimates are around 5-6 hours, but it is every bit as high-quality as those games.

Oh, and back to the movement, you’re freeform zero G on and around a space mining station. That’s all you need to know, because the movement is exactly what that is supposed to be like. Grab something, throw yourself somewhere else, use attitude jets to correct. Drift fast, drift slow, swing around, clamber like a monkey, it all works like you expect and dream.

I definitely plan to get Lone Echo at some point, and the Climb. I wish the Climb was still included with the touch controllers. I guess it was replaced with Robo Recall. The box my controllers came in still showed the Climb as something you received.

I don’t think it ever was. I bought it as part of a pack they had going at one point, but it wasn’t included with the initial batch of Touch.

Re: The Climb: I was so sore over the weekend I had to stop playing it. It’s an honest workout for your shoulders. It’s fun if a little one-note, but very pretty, I’d say B immersive, and has quite a bit of replay value with records and unlocks and whatnot. I’m considering getting wrist weights and using it as a workout.

So I received the rift headset the day before and hooked it up sans touch. Screen door / border / nose gap be damned, it’s a pretty impressive experience. I found my finger itching to skip forward during the alien/t-rex dreamdeck in anticipation of a jump scare, even though I was pretty sure they wouldn’t put one in a tech demo.

My biggest disappointment is how difficult it is to read text in VR mode. Everything except for your immediate area of attention is blurry; I guess that’s where eye tracking / higher resolution displays comes in. Otherwise I really like the VR desktop environments such as Big Screen and it sort of fulfills the childhood dream of being in a Gundam cockpit.

Yeah if you’re expecting to do desktop work in VR you won’t be happy. :) Games have to be built to take this into account. Elite Dangerous for example, has a lot of text but it’s mostly okay. It gets more readable if you jack up the supersampling/pixel density, but of course requires a lot more horsepower.

Supersampling does help

Supersampling does help

Does this still involve opening and setting the debug tool everytime?