VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Hmmmm. Well, I’ll disable sleep mode on my PC completely, maybe that will solve it.

My actual guess as to what it is has to do with power distribution through USB. I think turning off sleep would help

You can also try restarting the Oculus services via the beta tab in the settings. Usually fixes most glitches like that.

Oh nice, I didn’t realize that!

I picked up Lone Echo today. Wow. That is a must buy for all oculus owners. The sense that you are navigating around in Zero G is amazing. I don’t think I’ll be able to play it for super long sessions but this is by far the best VR experience out there so far.

Egosoft added in Oculus support to the Steam version of X Rebirth VR already.

I haven’t played a lot but first impressions are positive. It’s early access so they’re actively experiementing with control schemes and what have you, but what’s there is already working well with touch controls. There are a couple of interesting things they’re doing with the Oculus touch sensor states:

1. It’s dual stick controls - left for strafe, right for view - but if you’re touching the right controller’s top capacitive surface it instead activates gesture controls, so you can rotate the ship in 6 axes by moving your hand around.
  2. You point your index fingers to activate a laser pointer for selecting targets and UI elements.

Performance is really good, they apparently moved this to Vulkan renderer, the same as the upcoming X4 will use. Though things have been cut down compared to non-VR which I guess was necessary - the original was a hog.

I do wish their multi function map screen thing was non-modal (kind of like Elite’s), as the game pretty much stops when you open it since you have to close it to continue controlling the ship.

But yeah, good to see another real game in VR, especially an open space game. :)

Are there any VR apps that are for relaxation? Like relaxing on a beach? I bought Guided Meditation VR off Steam and immediately requested a refund due to the low quality graphics. Anything else like that but with realistic graphics?

Also, are there any live sporting events in VR yet? I’d like to try that out. (where you feel like you’re sitting in the stands.)

I used Destinations, which is now Steam Home VR. It has user-submitted photogrammetry-scanned environments which are frequently very high quality. It’s Steam Workshop though, so you’ve gotta self-curate to get the good stuff, but its not very difficult to find a nice beach, cave or church environment. Google Earth VR can be relaxing in its own way as well.

Another thing I like was just hanging out in an AltSpaceVR chatroom away from everyone else or just watching whatever is playing in the chatrooms while people talk. It’s the VR equivalent of the white noise of coffee shop chatter.

I haven’t seen any live sporting events in VR yet. I’ve read some devlogs by the SportsBar VR team that live video streams will be coming to that game soon, which I suppose would include sporting events. Not exactly sitting in the stands, but watching the game in a sports bar with friends.

Ah, I hadn’t checked out the Home VR stuff yet. Very cool! I’ll check out AltSpaceVR.

Went ahead and bought theBlu. Truly amazing.

I haven’t tried it but Nature Treks VR seems popular.

p.s… Lone Echo is pretty special. Now this is how you do a VR game!

i fly around moscow in il2 for relaxation.

Oculus continue to innovate software-side with “SSR” (Stereo Shading Reprojection).

Reportedly ~20% GPU cost reduction per frame in pixel-shader heavy scenarios:

Surprise! Rez Infinite is suddenly available on PC, with VR support. Somehow we either don’t have a thread for this game or it didn’t turn up in search.

Oh my.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome!!!

any PSVR flight sims?

Well this tutorial’s pretty awesome. That’s what I know so far :)

Doesnt PS4 have War Thunder? and of course upcoming ace combat which really should have a vr mode.

Just Eve Valkyrie right now I believe.

i’ve never played rez until last night, and i played areas 1-5 and then area x in succession, taking about 90 minutes. the whole thing was great, but area x is incredible. to say more would be useless. a must buy as far as im concerned.