VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Huh… I know people were raving about Rez when the PS4 came out, but as I didn’t have one I never looked at it. I just watched the video on the Steam page and… what am I missing here? I’m not trying to be snarky, but the video doesn’t make it seem appealing/fun at all. Can someone who has played clue me in?

its pretty much what you see - a (fairly mechanically simple) rail shooter where instead of normal sound effects you get bleeps, bloops, and beats. you watch weird visuals as you shoot enemies to make discordant sounds happen in time with the music.

it is a niche experience and may just not appeal to you. what i liked about it is very difficult to describe. rez is more than the sum of its parts, moreso in vr.

Gotcha, thanks!

The real hook is how the game ties into and sort of brings to life the soundtrack (especially so in VR). If you’re not into the soundtrack it probably won’t do much for you.

Reading reports that the VR in Rez doesn’t have any 3D ‘depth’. Is that right?

hmm. strictly speaking it does have depth.

maybe this means that it has less of an effect because the reticle isnt represented by a 3d object like a gun that gives a sense of depth in many vr games? or maybe a critique of the gameplay mechanics being shallow or something?

No, I think it was a critique of the objects in 3d space not really seeming like they were very noticeably varying distance from you.

I wish they had VR preview videos. Speaking of which, I can’t believe the Oculus store has these dinky little 2D images as a preview of the titles there! They should at least show you a 360 degree 3d still or something.

I guess you can always buy it on Steam and then refund it if it’s not well implemented.

I probably would, if I weren’t already in kind of two minds about whether I’ll like it or not. Music-based rail shooters may not be my thing.

Ps4 gas elite as well.

But not in VR.

Digital Foundry analysis says Rez does have issues in PC VR, with it’s locked frame-rate:

The issue is that the game appears to be designed for 60 frames per second. We already failed to uncap the frame-rate but, in VR, it seems that the 60Hz gameplay is forced to run at each headset’s native 90Hz. The result is a visible double-image effect and motion simply isn’t as smooth as it should be as a result. It’s still enjoyable, but the game’s legacy code seems to present a problem when running at higher frame-rates.

Apparently this doesn’t apply to Area X, which by all accounts is the best bit of Rez Infinite.

Yeah, that’s the ‘new’ bit, made in UE4.

So far my biggest gripe about VR is that in most cockpit games I’ve tried (E:D, DCS, Dirt Rally, etc) I’m rarely at the correct position inside the vehicle. I’m either sitting too low or too far back, so I have to “reset HMD” position. But every game is different. DR is left-ctrl, E:D is F12, DCS is numpad-5 (I think). Is there a universal, global button I can press instead? Seems like there should be a button on the HMD itself for this.

Oculus has a item in its menu where you can reset the view for the app

Yeah, like vyshka says, there’s a “reset view” button on the Oculus menu (some games have a button in-game to do it as well). This takes care of that problem.

Took me a bit to find that, since I spent the first part of Elite feeling like I had my head shoved up my ass.

Ahhh, ok found it. That’s definitely a handy thing to know about! Dirt Rally is especially annoying as it keeps putting me in the backseat (maybe the game is trying to tell me something).

Tried out DCS today and holy smokes, that’s a pretty game. The way the sunlight hits the inside of the cockpit as you’re flying around, really nice effect.

Also tried out the NoLimits Roller Coaster demo and nope’d out of that one pretty quick. That’s the only VR title I’ve tried so far that made me instantly sick to my stomach. I kinda knew it would, from what I’ve read about VR motion and not physically feeling the G forces, just wanted to experience it for myself.

It’s the only VR experience that gives me any meaningful motion sickness (though the scrolling in Lucky’s Tale is, well, eerie). But I love it anyway. I spend about half of my first week with the headset in the demo and on 360 videos of rollercoasters.

Tried something new on my Vive last night. I was looking through my Humble keys and saw that Project Cars was in there. Downloaded it and gave it a shot. Neat experience. Note that I am a TERRIBLE race driver. In novice mode they do have a sort of guide on the track showing where you should be and how fast that you should be going. I think that I need to tweak the video settings as there was some flickering on things that were far away. One sort of ironic thing kind of made me laugh. I have a VR headset on giving me a full 360 degree view… Had to stare straight ahead at the track for the whole race.