VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I knocked over a tall stack of board games :( Luckily, only one burst open on contact with the floor.

Oh God, I would have a fit!

Mind Control VR - is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks, N.Y. Times, for starting a discussion!

So according to the NYT, games that read your thoughts–like, your actual thoughts from your actual brain–are becoming a thing. Elon Musk started another company–Neuralink–to capitalize on this. Down the line, he plans on making brain implants a hot new device. Other companies are pursuing other applications, like using HTC Vives with seven head-mounted EEG sensors to perform simple things like enter keycodes and select objects.

The article did not say if your ATM PIN would be protected from sniffer malware.

how is Polybius in VR? Is it like Thumper where you do not actually have motion or is it inducing some kind of motion?
I wished all VR games would have demos… how can you judge if you can play them or if they make you sick before playing??

So, the hololens based mixed reality sets announced earlier this year are going to have access to Steam VR. Interesting.

Microsoft is also announcing a partnership that may come as a surprise: games built for Valve’s SteamVR platform will run on and be compatible with the Windows Mixed Reality headsets. This means that there’s an existing library of software that’ll work on day one.

Prescription glasses you say?

A few developers at work have prescription lens adapters for their Rifts so that they don’t have to wear glasses when wearing the HMD. They got them from WidmoVR. They also make an extra plushy Rift facial interface.

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

Thanks, @Roger_Wong. That’s precisely what I ended up doing. Totally worth it!

Cheers, I ended up splurging on a set of these too!

I wear glasses mainly for distance vision IRL but never thought I really needed them in Rift. It’ll be interesting to see the difference they make.

Though adding another layer of lenses to the existing optics was always slightly concerning.

I recently had to dig a splinter out of my Touch controller, as I had gouged a chunk out of a window frame. Echo Arena gets me overly excited for the punching aspect.

it is realllllly easy to do.

You must think in Russian…

Cyka blyat!

just a quick note that through a special offer Intel is subsidizing, Echo Arena is currently free to download from the Oculus store through October.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

I highly recommend paying for Lone Echo, especially if you are at all space inclined.

Positive impressions of Gran Turismo Sport in VR:

Only one on one races in VR though.

Picking up a Vive for some projects at work… seems like a decent enough piece of hardware.

Also had a chance to play with a new hololens… holy shit the hololens is amazing. It’s not really a consumer product, since it costs a few thousand bucks for the dev kit, but it’s way better than any of the other VR stuff out there at this point.

Once they do a consumer version of Hololens I think it would be perfect for using with something like a Vassal or Tabletop Simulator type application.

Anyone tried Google Earth VR after they added Street View a couple weeks back?

It’s pretty great - I love how you can quickly enter it pulling the little Street View globe into your face.

But I’m not sure what the difference is between doing this and using the ‘Teleport to Street View’ function by pointing and clicking the globe - except the latter seems to take much longer to load?

I haven’t, but sounds like I’ll need to check it out!