VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I’d buy it immediately if it was for PSVR or I had VR on PC, but I guess PSVR isn’t powerful enough for it. Or Elite Dangerous. Sad face.

$800 for a Vive and 1070 bundled…

Might also include Fallout VR.

Do I understand correctly that IL2 can be played with an XBOX controller? After @schurem basically wrote a poem about it in another thread my interest is piqued. If my XBOX controller is adequate I’d be all over it. I am running out of desk space for my HOTAS etc.

I dont think an xbox controller will make for satisfying il2 flight. The throw of its stick is too short for any kind of finesse. Much of the joy of it is learning to carefully take off and land these fiery steeds.The moment I got what it takes to get off the earth in a MiG-3 without pranging the kite in a big ignominous dust clouds ranks right up there with learning to take down bigger badder dudes than me in MMA.

Thank you sir. I need to stop being so lazy and get my HOTAS sorted out. I bought my rift in part because I wanted to experience DCS in VR.

Now there’s a piece of software that does not take kindly to any sort of laziness lol. I have spend about 12 hours this week getting it set up just so and am now re-learning the ‘simple’ aircraft in my stable, the Su-25 and the Su-27. Don’t forget to make binds for “VR zoom” in both sims. It’s a life saver but you will need to use it sparingland carefully lest you go seasick from it.

Go on, get your HOTAS sorted out. Elite Dangerous, Il2 and DCS become immeasurably better VR experiences for it.

@midnight.mangler

I beg to differ with the honourable gentleman.

I have found the xbox controller to be satisfying for IL-2 & definitely Elite. I do agree HOTAS is better though. Thats for sure. But I just use my controller as its less hassle.

Take offs and landings on IL-2 are difficult with a controller however , but thats what the skip option is for :)

Anyways you should get both regardless :) If HOTAS puts you over the top then do it that way!

$350 Rift…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X8N1YW?tag=rps-m-bf-20&th=1

Wow. Didn’t it start off at $600 for just the headset alone?

If I’m only interested in doing seated gaming with flightsims, do I still need to hang sensors from the wall?

No don’t think so. I have the included 2 sensors standing about 6 feet apart sitting on a bookshelf and windowsill respectively. Tracking the controllers is harder than tracking the headset (as your hands move around in lots of VR games) but that doesn’t matter much for flight sims.

I have both of my sensors on my desk perhaps 2 feet apart and the head/hand tracking works fine. There are probably some situations where it might be improved by better positioning of the sensors, but I haven’t encountered any yet.

What do you guys think of Everspace in VR? It’s been on my wishlist for a bit, and is on sale this weekend. Would be nice to have a simpler, pick-up-and-play cockpit game on occasion.

as a vr experience i rate it well below elite (also on sale) . as a game… perhaps above. its different.

Is the expanded library on the Oculus significantly greater than the PSVR? Trying to decide if I need both.

Has anyone tried payday 2 VR? It’s currently in beta I believe. Are the dlcs useful/necessary for the game? I own the base game and none of the dlcs, but I see that the ultimate edition is on sale right now.

Has anyone tried Skyworld? It looks interesting. Turn based strategy with real time battles, from folks that did Arizona sunshine

It looks really cool and I love this kind of idea of playing strategy games from above a world in VR and moving things about with your hands.

I’d like to know how much depth there is in the actual game, and whether the single player content is typically sparse in favour of multiplayer or not.

I went into my local Micro Center tonight and there are loads of cheap VR goggles. I have to think that a $30 knockoff is going to be a crap experience and could sour people on the more expensive VR.

There’s a demo on the Steam page… I had a go and made it 10 mins in before something I was supposed to grab didn’t respond so I put it down.

My family and I played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes over Thanksgiving. It was great: both the person inside VR and those with the “Bomb Manual” enjoyed it immensely. After this I showed my dad Cube Run, which he thought was a blast. It was fun to see him acting like a kid again. My brother also tried Cube Run and then watched a Skyrim video in side by side 3D.

My phone is now a hot commodity (no pun intended), and I think I am making some new VR converts.