VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

DOOM VFR, released earlier today for the Vive, is taking a beating on Steam right now. Rift users are buying the game, posting a negative review due to locking out the Rift, then requesting a refund.

We’ll see where this goes. I’d like to play Fallout 4 VR on my Rift, so hopefully Zenimax will see the folly in their decision.

We’ll maybe see a hacked dll like with the initially Vive-locked version of Google Earth.

(but they don’t want my money, I’m not inclined to go out of my way to give it to them)

I tried out something called Goalie Simulator (free) on Steam and was surprised that it felt like warming up for a game again. Would love to see more sim vr games like that.

Ritual complaint about exclusives being completely wrong for this stage of VR…

I’m figuring that there’s no way that a Zenimax title will be supporting Rift any time soon.

There’s always the PSVR version…

Now I’m hearing a new SteamVR beta lets you play Doom on the Rift, so there’s hope yet.

Obligatory agreement saying either, where is the like button or you go girl.

Anyone jump on Fallout 4 VR? I have a rift, so I had the privilege of wrestling with the controls for about 40 minutes last night. None of the posted workarounds (the open source openvr remap app, autohotkey, etc) was working for me, so I’m going to let it sit for a week and a half before deciding if I should refund.

It’s too bad, because the prospect of playing Fallout in VR was the number one reason I got the Rift. I’m sure someone will make it work eventually and I’ll pick it upon on sale then, but Beth is leaving full price purchases on the table by not supporting the Rift properly.

On the bright side, it didn’t run horribly on my R290. Not great, but not as bad as I feared.

Talos Principle VR is half off it seems. Seems to be well received, any impressions here?

That was exactly my concern. I picked up Arizona Sunshine on sale but couldn’t be bothered working out how to make it run properly on the Rift so back it went. I’m holding off on Fallout until someone tells me the Rift version is painless.

It’s cool and works well, but after playing it for half an hour I decided I didn’t really want to play the game again, VR or no.

I’d buy Fallout 4 again if it supported Rift. But I’m not supporting Bethsoft if they’re not supporting me! :)

So is VR getting any significant buzz this holiday season? I take it there isn’t a killer game yet to really sell VR.

Robo Recall is one of my favorites. It’s a rift exclusive, though

Oh, this is free today for Oculus

Oculus has a winter sale going on which includes daily deals for further discounts. Yesterday’s was Eve Valkyrie and Adrift; today’s is Onward and Serious Sam: Last Hope.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Onward, but I find PvP in VR particularly intimidating. I can’t aim down iron sights without closing one eye, which shifts the headset uncomfortably; I tried a few PvP matches in Dead and Buried and got absolutely slaughtered. Several matches without a single kill slaughtered.

I picked up Onward due to the sale and reviews but haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.

I don’t own any VR kit, but my wife LOVES lightgun type games. Does this play out a lot like one of those? Are there other similar styles of games out for VR now?

They are like that, yes! There are a few that are very much lightgun games. Robo Recall is, sort of, but you can warp around, etc. I think there are even a few rail shooters.

Software update for the Rift coming up…

In the Rift Core 2.0 beta, you’ll find:

Dash: A redesigned system interface that opens up new possibilities for VR and immersive computing.

New Oculus Home: Home is now free to be yours – a place that reflects your own personality and sense of style. Customise your Home experience with toys, furniture, artwork and more that you can place in virtual space as you see fit.

Updated Oculus Desktop app: It’s now easier than ever to discover games, explore new experiences and connect with friends in and out of VR. We’ve also introduced wishlists in the Oculus Store and you can get notified when saved apps in your wishlist go on sale.

Any decent VR games shipped recently? Last one I enjoyed was Discovering Space 2 (which is fun).

Well Fallout 4 was the big one. Doesn’t seem to be hugely successful, with a non VR UI. I would try it, but not at $60.