VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Well I hope they do something, because the dinky little screenshots in Oculus store are pretty lame. :)

On the plus side, the rest of their new dashboard/home is excellent.

The worst parts of the internet have found VR and they show in VRChat

maybe not related

and more

• TODO - Add model of Fleshpound behind user

You’d think that would raise a red flag for someone at some point.

Oculus isn’t too much different from other companies with respect to Marketing kind of being this blackbox over there that the development and design side tends to avoid because we don’t understand it.

We waved all the red flags as soon as we put our HMDs on that day to develop/test/etc and saw what was behind us.

n.b.- A home space should put you at ease or at the very least, make you feel safe from danger. It’s a refuge. Putting a killing zombie machine was the opposite of that and broke trust. If you can’t trust your home, you won’t want to go into VR. You won’t want to use it. We waved all the red flags.

I gotta say this Oculus vs. Vive crap isn’t doing the industry any good. I have a coupe hundred bucks worth of games from the Oculus store, so upgrading to the new Vive isn’t really an option unless I want to give those up. And then the stuff like Bethesda disallowing Rift support…

It’s like 3Dfx vs Riva TNT vs Rendition, only worse.

You can probably still play many of your Oculus Store games using the Revive software if you get a Vive. Also you can play Fallout 4 VR on the Rift using the OpenVR Input Emulator to make the controls somewhat manageable…

So it’s not insurmountable but yeah - far from ideal either!

I wouldn’t by a Vive now based completely on principle.

I wish someone made a VR launcher app so when I put on my HMD, I’m asked which storefront to launch, SteamVR or Oculus.

Why? What principle?

My extreme dislike of Zenimax

What does Zenimax have to do with the HTC Vive?

The court cases and shitty treatment of Oculus consumers in favor of Vive because of petty horseshit.

The idea of software that only works on one headset, which is essentially just like a monitor, is kind of dumb.

It’d be like, “I have a couple of hundred dollars in software on the dell ultrasharp store, so now I can’t use other monitors”.

I have a Vive and Bethesda/Zenimax not supporting the Rift with FO4 and presumably Skyrim would annoy the crap out of me if I had the Rift. How many hours could it possibly take to iron out the controller issues, etc. to make it work better on the Rift compared to the benefit of making it easier for over half of the PC VR user base to play your game. It doesn’t make any sense to me unless it revolves around petty bullshit. Still FO4 VR is super fun . . .

If it makes you feel better, I constantly have to dick around with revive to to play oculus store games anytime I go back to them.

I’m really not following though.

Zenimax sued Oculus and they chose to support Vive, sure, but I’m not connecting the dots for why you’d then blame HTC for the situation and thus choose not to support the Vive.

How is HTC or the Vive headet treating Oculus customers badly?

If something or someone I hate endorses a product, I am not likely to want to buy said product. You don’t have to like it or agree, but that’s my feelings.

It’s really stupid, and I hate that for the Rift store as well. I think it’s a shame that RoboRecall is held back from so many people.

Just seems to make more sense to boycott Bethesda/Zenimax? That’s the party doing everything that’s made you angry.

It’s not a matter of agreeing/disagreeing with you, I honestly just don’t get it. It’s like saying you’re never going to shop at Best Buy again. It’s a fine stance to take, I just… don’t get it either. :)

It’s not just Zenimax. However, I dislike them the most.

I specifically won’t shop at Best Buy again because they closed the store near my house for… confusing reasons.

I don’t find it particularly unreasonable if a company funds a game (like Robo Recall) for their platform and not others. Its hard to know what the situation is with Fallout VR though, it doesn’t look like HTC funded it. Even if there is some kind of partnership, HTC had to retract their previous statement of it being exclusive. In that light the lack of rift support does look kind of petty.