VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Lol, the first one’s not even released yet, it’s still early access! ;)

I’ve never played it MP. It’s incredibly satisfying to jump in and destroy a gaggle of gladiators though. Looks like it’s just local multiplayer, right?

It starts off relatively slow as you only have a few weapons to choose from. But eventually you’ll have quite the arsenal and can set up some brutal custom games on the bottom floor.

Gorn works as a single player game. I haven’t even noticed if it has multiplayer.

While really simple, it is amazingly fun. The movement controls take a little bit to get used to but once over the learning curve it works well. I’ve rarely felt such a wave of satisfaction from a video game as I have when I raise both arms up in triumph after a tough battle in the arena.

It can be quite a workout. I was sweating more after a half hour of Gorn than I do after a half hour on the treadmill. Definitely make sure your play area is clear since there will be wild arm flailing.

I have been asked to post this here

Wow, that’s dark.

Hope I’m not tone deaf in posting this, but I came here to share this additional bit of Go hype from last October:

I don’t really get the Go hype. It’s basically a Gear VR you don’t need a handset for. That’s fine, I guess, but it’s not a material improvement on what already exists.

I agree; I’m not really in the market for one as I already own Gear VR. It’s more ‘well, wouldn’t it be cool for VR as a whole if everyone else bought this!’

Looks like I’ll get a chance to play with an early release HTC Vive Pro maybe, as part of a project I’m working on. I’m kind of eager to see it in action.

I could see a product like the Go being popular with social/community-driven titles like VRChat and AltSpaceVR. For $200 they will sell a lot of them.

I was blown away by The Void, loved it, raved unconditionally about it here Best VR Experiences of 2017 - #29 by Lykurgos

It isn’t something I would be super keen to repeat as it really is like an interactive movie experience rather than a ‘game’ but since you absolutely MUST experience it count me in fo a revisit if that is what it takes to get you there, seriously! :-P

This Beat Saber game looks good. Guitar Hero X Light Sabers

It does looks (sounds) amazing.

Started this up at the weekend and did a few jumps. Yet to get any ship to ship combat, other than the tutorial, but it’s basically FTL with multiplayer FPS combat as far as I can tell. Seems like a cool idea, and I love that it gives you the option of free locomotion.

I tried Robinson the Journey, and stopped frustrated. I expected falling in a planet, then slowly build a homebase. But the game is not delivered like that. Or maybe some trigger misfired and I was stuck on the tutorial. I must watch some Lets Play to see what I did wrong.

Wow. Amazon has a fire sale on Windows Mixed Reality headsets right now, with all the models except for the Samsung at about 50% off.

Just ordered a Dell Visor for my second PC. Looks like it’s gonna be multiplayer VR flight sim combat with the kid!

They all have similar specs, but the Dell is the choice of the current models due to widest FOV (110 degrees) and headset comfort. $229 with controllers!

Whatever your take on Windows Mixed Reality, the Windows Store, etc., these things support Steam VR, so you can essentially run almost everything that runs on the Vive.

(If the Dell runs out, the Acer is supposed to be really good as well.)

I have two Gear VRs and I’m in the market for one for two main reasons:

• I’m tired of having to assemble and disassemble the thing whenever I want to use VR. And especially where my phone is concerned, I have smudges, marks and such on the screen protector that show up in VR.

• It’ll run apps faster than any phone (with less power usage and less heat) because the entire thing is dedicated to just running VR apps.

That seems far from a given. You’re comparing a $200 relatively niche all-in-one headset to a mass produced $700–$800 handset, plus $80 or whatever the Gear headset costs. Supposedly the Go is rocking a Snapdragon 821, and I’m sure Wumpus would be delighted to tell you how underpowered that is.

The hardware specs themselves are only one part of the performance equation. Remember how one of the first things we used to do to Windows PCs was reformat it to get rid of all the junk and bloatware to make things faster for gaming? And then someone says “Dude, WinBlows is a !@#$ing pig, if you want to get max performance out of your computer, uninstall that crappy OS and install Linux!”

You have the same thing going on with SOC and the Android OS it ships with. If you can (and Oculus can–I used to work there) throw away the reference software and instead optimize and rewrite it with extreme purpose, you can get large performance increases.

But it’s binary compatible with Gear VR so there’s a limit to how much rewriting they can do, unless they run an emulation layer, which would being it’s own performance hit.

I just ordered a Dell. Read up on these headsets in the pre-release articles last fall, but never followed up on actually buying one. I got the impression at the time the Samsung was the one to beat, but more expensive. The Dell does seem like a good second choice, though; thanks for the tip!

I guess I should play Elite, now?