VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I played a bit of Obduction on the Rift. I can say it is quite the experience because of the visual nature of the game, although I could never play it for very long. I guess it’s because of how bright the game is? My eyes would start hurting after a while. I didn’t experience this with any other VR title but maybe it’s just me.

The game isn’t native to VR and you can tell. It’s been converted to VR. So you don’t really have an interactive world like Job Simulator, there are touch interactions but they’re a bit basic.

All in all though just being in the world in VR is a great experience and I plan to return to this soon.

Thanks for in-depth notes @Zenchess, appreciate it. I can’t see any better way to spend my credit on Oculus store right now so I think I’m going to take the plunge! :)

Thanks, @Zenchess! And thanks, @Profanicus, as I didn’t realize it was on sale in the Oculus Store for $15. If you were spending your own cash, Humble Bundle would make more sense, as you’d get a bunch of other games to add to the backlog and maybe never play. But with that $15 credit…

Looks like they launched Catan VR for GDC. $15 in the oculus store.

Yeah brought it down to a tenner in the local currency. Bargain! :)

Oculus Rift is down to $249 on Amazon without the VR controllers right now. If you want a full-featured VR rig, you want the Rift Touch controllers. But if you’re just looking for something for simulators like DCS or Elite, that’s a pretty killer price of entry.

Sims are still 90% of what I play on mine. I try out lots of other stuff just for the experience, but rarely play sustained games outside of flight sims in VR.

Bargain! (if you don’t plan to ever use one of the best bits about VR)

And you could pick up the Touch controllers and 2nd sensor seperately later, for not much more than buying the full bundle.

Oculus Rift edition of LA Noire will be released today! If it winds up on the Oculus store, might be a good way to spend that $15 credit.

Also, there are rumors about a VR mode for No Man’s Sky in an upcoming patch. That could be cool.

I’ve very much enjoyed Griffin McElroy’s LA Noire VR videos. Don’t think I need to play it though.

The Wipeout collection on the PS4 has a free update available for the PSVR that is supposed to be amazing. The whole game is now playable in VR. Going to check it out tonight.

Could the next No Man’s Sky update include VR support?

Anyone getting Skyrim VR today? I’m busy with Fo4VR so I’ll probably wait for a sale, but hopefully it’ll run better than the pig that is Fo4VR (still love it though)

Also, I think I’m mostly cured of my mild arachnophobia since having a kid means that you get dozens of giant rubber spiders scattered around the house at any given time, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to handle frostbite spiders too well in VR. I find myself turning away a bit whenever a radscorpion gets on top of me.

Oh is that out today? It’s tempting, but $50 bucks for something I’ve already played through about 3 times…

I was waiting for some feedback on the Rift controls before taking the plunge! If it’s all rosy I will probably be getting it.

Controls seem fine from Steam reviews… no real consensus in the negative reviews. I’ll get to this sometime. I can see the DLCs at last :)

Augmented Reality Street Fighter

I have a feeling somebody is getting sued by Capcom very very soon.

If any of you VR fellows haven’t already, now is the time to get your il2 on for 16 bucks:

So Skyrim in VR, seems pretty cool. Really transforms the experience. And also brings to the fore how clunky and dated some of it is, but hey - I still dig it. :)

The Touch support… it works. At least it has a proper move/rotate scheme on dual analogues, and you don’t need to click the stick like in F4VR.

Nothing is remappable though. There’s a choice between left and right-handed control, which basically sets your bow-holding hand and swaps the move/rotate sticks around. I wish these two functions were seperate! I want move on the left stick, but would like to hold the bow in my right hand. Can’t do it. :P

The bow is cool though, there’s an option to make it a proper two-hand controlled weapon like most common VR archery games. With the OP nature of Skyrim stealthy archery this is sure to be fun!

You physically flail melee weapons around to fight, and physically block with the shield. You can turn on a physical ‘crouch to sneak’ too if you’re getting super crazy. And a physical ‘swim’ which I guess is like the horrendous Fallout 4 VR swimming where you have to flap your arms… no thanks. :)

It runs phenomenally well; my setup is blitzing frames at the ‘high’ preset in around 2ms on the GPU so I cranked all the sliders and supersampling. Still plenty of performance headroom so it’s kind of annoying that they didn’t make it look better.

I needed some minor ini tweaking as per usual to get it where I wanted:

• disable the ‘go where you point’ movement
  • turn off the blurry TAA (supersampling works well for jaggies, and temporal shimmering isn’t too bad with TAA off)
  • hack the ‘comfort vignette’ setting (because disabling both comfort and TAA makes the menus disappear! Yes really.)
  • disable the gamepad (had some issue where my Touch controls were not rotating smoothly, disabling gamepad fixed it)

Oh there is a slider for ‘height’ but it doesn’t go far enough to compensate for seated play, so if you’re not playing standing up you’re basically role-playing a dwarf in the game.

Unfortunately Skyrim VR is a seperate, full price purchase.

Yes I wish that it were cheaper too.