VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

There’s a live tested mods list going on here

Now I come to think of it, without Convenient Horses, how would I cope.

It works pretty much like Fallout 4 VR does. No pre-canned anims, you’re flailing around with the weapon attached to your hand and it does damage when it hits something past a certain velocity threshold.

Can someone opine on if VR is currently a success? Looks like another fad to me

1. Purchase IL-2 on sale for $16
  2. Plug joystick into USB port
  3. Don goggles
  4. Enjoy VR success

It’s a success.

It’s a success in that it’s not going to be a temporary fad - the technology is cool and will significantly improve and offer a lot. But right now it’s definitely skippable until there are more meaty games and applications and better tech.

Are those the only two options? How about the reality, which is ‘niche market’?

It’s doing well enough to push an old game like Skyrim into Top Sellers #4 at full price:

Yeah, that’s impressive especially considering it’s also been out in PSVR since last year.

I a success for users, is a failure for content creators.

It’s interesting that Bethesda had a go with Fallout VR and then seemed to think it was worthwhile to try Skyrim. If content creators were getting nothing from it, would they have bothered with a second attempt?

These are remakes. The game is already done, they only have to adapt the engine and minor UI changes. So is much less work than writing a game from scratch.

Anyway you have a point.

Skyrim was actually their first go, since it released on PSVR last year. Doom was second, and Fallout 4 third. Does Skyrim VR PC count as the fourth attempt? Likely they were all being developed concurrently anyway.

Ok but I still think over that many titles they could have pulled the plug if they weren’t getting what they wanted out of VR…

I guess we’ll see whether they build VR into Elder Scrolls 6 or not! I really hope so. :)

Looking at other cases, X Rebirth VR is pretty awesome but I don’t think they’re building VR into X4. Dirt Rally VR is awesome, but Codemasters haven’t done VR in their games since that.

Hmm you’re right. Can’t really think of anyone else who has made a second VR title :/

If anyone does it will be Croteam. They’ve done VR for a couple of Serious Sams and Talos Principle. Haven’t heard anything yet but I think it’s likely Serious Sam 4 will have VR.

There are a couple examples though, but we’re back to ‘niche market’ where VR is the new TrackIR (which is fine by me). Project Cars 1/2 both have VR, Assetto Corsa 2 will have VR just like the first game. Surprised if any new flight games don’t support VR.

Wipeout VR is working great for me … I am prone to motion sickness, that’s why I only have a couple of VR games I can enjoy (Thumper and Polybius) … I don’t know how, but Wipeout in cockpit mode does the trick … no nausea. Also Wipeout is a great game, love to be in that world …

Sounding good! But I’m disappointed they went with the same spongy, foam padding from the original. I’ll be ordering the thinner, moisture-resistant cushions once again.

P.S. Just got the email. My Vive Pro has shipped! It should arrive on Monday.

Arktika was the daily deal today - $15, so I used that credit they gave out. A nice freebie I hope. I’ve got From Other Suns waiting, but it seemed a bit slow tbh, with a lot of clunking round before getting to some boarding action. I don’t really understand the ‘galaxy’ map yet either.

Pleased to see a new Vive out too. DON’T DIE LITTLE NEW TECHNOLOGY, DON’T DIE.