Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

It’s probably fine, they are generally compatible. The biggest difference is Vive has touchpads instead of thumbsticks.

Apparently either work?

“The controller’s touchpad or joystick (if applicable) controls strafe thrusters.”

Evochron’s a cockpit game right? Not sure why this would make it the game to beat. I don’t find touch controllers add much to a HOTAS setup for cockpit games even when supported (eg DCS). At least in my setup, it’s much easier to switch to a mouse next to the stick than to have a touch controller dangling of my wrist the whole time. What you really need in VR is a headlook cursor and to be able to bind mouse buttons to the HOTAS.

Because at its core it has better gameplay than the other VR space cockpit games? I mean both Elite Dangerous and Star Wars: Squadrons are absolute shit once you get past the whiz-bang of VR so then you have… what else, exactly?

OK, but that’s true regardless of the VR controllers, surely. I don’t see why this is GAME CHANGING.

Because when I tried to play this in VR, having to still use a mouse to control things like the nav map or trade interface kinda killed it, but being able to control all that with the touch controllers, if it works, will be perfect for this game.

Personally, I doubt it. Every cockpit sim I’ve played which had VR controller support, I went back to using the mouse.

Gah, how? That sounds just so annoying.

Not as annoying as having a VR controller hanging off your wrist and banging against the stick

But the VR controller in this case is the stick. It appears to be dual mode.

If you’re not playing with a HOTAS at all, sure. I can see this being better than playing with a gamepad and mouse. But if you’ve got a HOTAS, then HOTAS plus mouse beats no HOTAS, if you ask me.

But I tried that, and having to pull off the helmet just to use the mouse on the nav map and such was a pain in the ass. This new solution hopefully skirts the problem entirely.

Why do you have to pull the helmet off? Maybe your setup doesn’t allow it, but for me the mouse sits right next to the stick and I just move my hand over.

Because I can’t see where the dang mouse is with the helmet on, and it’s not right next to my stick. I’m telling you, a dual mode cursor/stick solution is exactly what I wanted when I tried this in VR for the first time, and now it’s apparently HERE.

There are definitely solutions that don’t require taking the helmet off (looking through the gap at your nose, using pass-through on newer headsets), but, sure, if you don’t have a mouse in easy reach, it’s going to be a lot more attractive.

www.pointctrl.com and I said it before. It’s the cure to what ails ya. But not being able to grope blindly for a mouse is… wow. That’s one helluva first world problem to have.

And I’m out for a while. This is why I come to this forum less and less.

“Hey here’s me excited about a thing!”

“Yes, let me shit upon it!”

Have a good one y’all.

Obviously it’s personal preference. Touch controllers in X Rebirth VR worked pretty well, I preferred that to trying to use a HOTAS and mouse so I’m keen to see how Evo works.

Really one of these games just needs to allow proper ship systems interaction with touch controllers, rather than using laser pointers for everything. Kind of like VTOL does. Of course that requires more of a ‘built from the ground up for VR’ thing than a tacked on post-release support thing.

Not trying to shit on anything, and certainly don’t want you to stop being excited about things. Just trying to understand why you think it’s game changing, when it hasn’t been for other sims. Like I say, if your setup doesn’t allow for easy mouse access, then it’s clearly going to be more impactful.

What are you on about? You are on this forum all the time.