Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I’m a big fan of Gloomhaven - I have the big box and also the PC game - but Demeo doesn’t look like that sort of game to me. It looks like it’s going to play more like a ‘Flashpoint’ or ‘Pandemic’ where your four characters have certain abilities and can use one or two of them each turn, with bonus cards to act like equipment does in Gloomhaven. The key gameplay feature of Gloomhaven is the simultaneous choosing of moves and attacks from your ever-shrinking hand of cards, but Demeo seems more like a simple round of turns with each character always able to do the same sort of thing. Could be wrong, but that’s how it looks to me.

I’ll still buy it, because there’s nothing else really doing a miniature-based tabletop game in VR at the moment. I don’t mind if the gameplay is simplistic compared to Gloomhaven. I mean, Gloomhaven despite being cooperative has caused quite a lot of arguments when I’ve played it, with bad decisions by one player often leading to failures for the team, and as you know it takes forever to set up, so a failure can feel pretty annoying.

Girl :p

Lol.

Hah sorry, my sincere apologies!

I’ll leave my shame for all to see. :)

To be fair I’m only 2000 points ahead of you in Siege of Heaven, but after you mocked my friend @krayzkrok’s score I thought I’d friend you for the challenge :D

By Gloomhaveny, I simply meant boardgamey as opposed to pen and papery. It hasn’t been clear from the video previews whether this is a game or a platform or somewhere in between.

Looks like it’ll be what you’re after then. Doesn’t look to have any RPG elements to me. Just looks like a boardgame with randomised/procedural setup. You play until you defeat the big boss. Not sure there’s much of a metagame/story to it beyond that.

That score worked terrible havok on my arms, I’ll need a good period of rest and recuperation before giving it another shot…

There were moments where I was on fire, and moments where I couldn’t hit the side of a barn. I think more of the former, less of the latter, might be the secret. :)

I am interested, but… I really can’t tell what the game is. As others are indicating, I can’t tell if it is a shared (or solo) tactical board game experience or if it is something else. I could not find any useful videos either.

Looks like they posted a more detailed gameplay explainer the other day:

Looks like a fairly straightforward dungeon crawling board game, with a mild campaign element.

I just found that video and another one. Demeo looks very interesting. I made a thread for it with a summary of what I could learn from the videos.

Posted this on the other thread as well, but for completeness:

I’ve spent a lot of this evening playing the game. It feels quite polished, some nice strategy involved although I’ve only played single player so far. The first level I entered was really tough - I was expecting to be able to confront monsters gradually by opening one door at a time, but I started in an open area with many monsters in view and quickly got swarmed. The only thing that saved me was exploding some gas ‘lamps’ which spreads gas all over and poisons everything, which murdered dozens of weak creatures like rats and spiderlings. Once the early monsters were cleared out the rest of the level was really easy and I collected much gold to use to buy extra items in the shop.

The main frustration I had was that there was no way I could find to save the game - even in single player mode. Of course you can just take off the headset and come back to it later, but then you can’t play anything else in the meantime. Why no save option? Seems strange, especially since the first level alone took me over an hour, and there are three levels on every run.

It’s definitely going to be a lot more fun with other players. Single-player will get very samey after a while I reckon. At the moment the game feels polished but maybe lacking in content? I imagine they’ll gradually add more. It works well in VR, but would also work well on a monitor, much like Gloomhaven. I got the impression from the videos that you could move your character by hand but it seems to need a controller. Anyway, if anyone fancies playing multiplayer friend me and let’s try it :) I’m in the UK.

It seems at least some Android apps are coming to Quest officially:

In other news, Superhot VR has patched a 120hz mode.

Can’t really see myself using any of the apps mentioned in VR, to be honest. Other than MLB, which already has a VR app which I don’t use, I’m struggling to think of any Android apps I’d want to use in VR. But I’m not really one of those people who enjoys looking at blown-up flat screens in VR, other than for utility purposes while playing a game.

I guess these could serve a similar purpose, if they map them onto a virtual phone you can pick up and waste time with in VR. ;)

I guess it could also be part of the push for computing in VR, like with the ‘infinite office’. They’d just be windows on your big virtual desktop or something.

It’s definitely more interesting if you can PiP the apps, but I’m a little skeptical you’ll be able to given the limited processing power in the Quest and the fact it hasn’t been built for quasi multi-tasking the way, say, the Xbone OS was. It’s always been very much a one app at a time system. You could probably do a funky workaround with streaming from an actual Android phone, but somehow I doubt Facebook wants that.

Spotify for music?

I’d rather play it on my PC or even phone, which have better speakers than the Quest. Though to be honest I only listen to podcasts while gaming.

I was fooling around with Fantastic Contraption. It’s a pity that it’s marred by 2016 VR limitations, like the obligatory Vive controller or the lack of optional artificial locomotion (that would help people with limited space). It also should vary more the types of puzzles, instead of making you do ‘cars’ for twelve puzzles in a row.
But the concept is fun, and for a title that launched in 2016 when VR was something super new, they had some very nice design choices like the piece dispenser being a weird cat you can call, the minimap being something that can be grabbed and moved around, and the unicorn helmet that lets you see an alternative look of the world, revealing the menu, it’s a great idea.

So I was looking if there was a sequel or some new game from these devs… and they seems to have not released anything from 2016? Making VR games in 2016 was really a death’s sentence!

I’m continuing to play the old games i had pending.

Now it’s Edge of Nowhere. The first thing I notice is that it looks pretty bad? Clearly low resolution. I had to use the oculusDebugTool to increase the pixel density to 1.4, as there was no graphical options nor .ini files. It seems it was designed around CV1 and no thought was spent of future headsets. Once that’s fixed, the third person perspective is interesting. All the other 3rd person VR games I had played until now had you with a slightly farther away camera, where the character looks more like a toy to the player. This one the camera is much closer, and the scale of things is such that you play from the perspective or a invisible companion to the main character, he looks like having a correct human scale.

For now I will say the game suffers for being rushed, you don’t know who you are nor what you were doing traveling in Antartica when you are suddenly thrown into the action. No setup.

Finally able to capture VR effectively, thanks to an OpenVR plugin for OBS. Couple that with OVR Toolkit (to put OBS in VR so I can start and stop it) and LIV (so I can have a chat overlay) and it’s dang near perfect. Still need some tweaking but overall I’m quite happy with it.