Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Please share when done. :)

Just a heads up, looks like VR DK is only $5 right now in the summer sale. Great deal!

Seconded!

So far I’ve moved these from Wishlist to Shopping Cart, but have yet to pull the trigger:
Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition
Skyrim VR
Star Wars Squadrons
I Expect You To Die
Moss
Superhot VR
Battlegroup VR early access
Google Earth VR (free)
OVR Advanced Settings (free)
Aircar (free)

(and also Master of Magic Classic and a bunch of Rocksmith tracks, etc.)

What would be better: Virtual Desktop or OVR Toolkit? Or do they do different enough things that they’re both handy/recommended?

I’m only a little perturbed that Microsoft Flight Simulator is not discounted by even a penny.

Still on the wishlist for a future sale or for someone to talk up:
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Overload
VTOL VR
Blade and Sorcery
and other non-VR games

You dang VR kids, get off my lawn! I say that because as an aged gamer where Quake redefined my life, nobody seems to want to play Echo Combat? It’s free, it’s team-based combat in zero G, and it is fantastic.

That’s PCVR right? I can only do Quest 2 native at the moment. EchoVR is pretty awesome. Is that the same as Exco Combat?

Ah, sorry, I forgot. Echo VR, the disc game in the arena is on Quest, but they still haven’t ported Echo Combat for some reason. My fault.

I wish they would.

Is there a tennis game or bowling yet for the Quest?

Yeah there are at least two bowling games (Premium Bowling and ForeVR Bowl).

Not so much in the way of tennis, where I imagine it’s hard to expect a whole court’s worth of space in a small room, or somehow intergrate movement with sticks or teleports into the racket play.

Sports Scramble has both tennis and bowling, though it’s main thing is ‘scrambled’ sports so they’re not traditional. It apparently does have more traditional settings you can use though. I only played the demo (which came with Quest 1), and in the tennis game they limit you to your available area and just have the AI hit it in that region.

Oh yeah I really enjoy Racket NX. Not tennis at all but it is cool.
Maybe the Table Tennis games are closer, like Eleven Table Tennis - it’s great also. :)

Did you get Sports Scramble with Quest?

*Derp what am I saying, I’m talking about the Sports Scramble demo, you can just download that at will…

Steam sales

HL Alyx is 40% off

Abandoned without making it out of EA, though, right? Is it actually worth it?

Well, my first pass through, adding everything that looked intriguing to the cart, wound up over $500. Trying to keep the damage closer to $100, so second pass below if anyone wants to talk me in/out of anything.

Leaning Yes

On The Fence

Leaning No (or at least, save for the next sale)

I’ve only played Trover and Accounting+ out of those. Trover is more of a game, Accounting more of an experience. If you like Roiland, they’re both pretty funny.

The Job Sims and Virtual Virtual Reality are well regarded.

I ended up refunding Stolen Pets. I love the tiny worlds but the game didn’t grab me. It might be better for kids though. Fisherman’s Tale I always wanted to check out, I think I ended up with Shadow Point instead as a representation of this kind of artsy puzzle game.

Crazy talk! :)
At least get to experience what some AAA devs can do with VR. How it makes your hands feel part of the world, and gives things weight, is particularly well done. I actually think it’s not overly shooty, for an FPS. You can always play for 2 hours and refund. :)

I quite like these. Paper Beasts is kind of fascinating, in the way the creatures move and interact, how the water and land deformation works, and in how you solve simple puzzles using the environment and its inhabitants. Short but pretty cool experience from Eric Chahi.

Eleven Table Tennis, I just like table tennis and it feels like the real thing, even though it takes a while to get the hang of it. It helps that you can bump this to 120Hz on Quest 2 (need to lower some settings), makes it much more playable when the ball moves more smoothly. I have the Quest native version though, not sure how Steam is. I’m not sure you can play Air Link at 120Hz? Like maybe Steam sees a Rift and gives you 90Hz? Dunno.

Arizona was one of those early games, fun for a while but no legs.

I do like Sairento, though I tend to favour the Quest native version 'Untethered. Maybe because it saves turning the PC on. I wouldn’t say it’s essential, but the way the movement works is great, leaping around, double jumping, and wall running with a range of dual wield swords and guns. :P

Oh, I’m interested in this too - I always avoided for this reason.

Virtual Virtual Reality is good, too.

For $5 I would say it’s worth running through and trying out the different weapons, etc. The developer (1 guy) is on a break from the pandemic. So if he ever finishes it, even better!

Highly recommend both of these. Don’t be afraid to mess around and fail in IEYTD. Great satirical take on James Bond in VR.

These are fun to mess around in, especially if you have kids. Our 7 & 9yos love to try it out.

I’d say it’s definitely worth it since you’re intrigued by the idea. A lot more fun to play the tables when it feels like you’re actually standing over it.

You haven’t been tempted to delve into Skyrim or Fallout 4 VR? Both 70-75% off… :)

Somewhat curious, but, the reviews don’t seem great, those are some really long games to do with a headset on, and I’m skeptical about how much the VR will really add to the existing designs. Open to the idea if they’re worth it though.

Very good one that. I heartily recommend it.

Also not to be missed as a VR experience are the Il2 branded flight simulator games. Especially Flying Circus. They are running a sale on www.il2sturmovik.com

DCS, another flight simulator that does VR quite exquisitely, has recently implemented a rather generous try before you buy policy. The base game is free. Check it out on www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

Yep, Moss works fine over link. I haven’t tried Airlink yet.

Yeah, Moss works well over Air Link, though I definitely had problems when trying to launch it directly instead of going into the SteamVR home first.