Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

OK, thanks. I’ll accept next time I’m on.

Heh for me getting into vr is a more involved process:

• plug in the power lead

• fire up steamvr

• fire up the game

• climb into the old car seat that hasmy hotas and pedals

• don the headset

• put on headphones

• zero the headset

• Fly!

That is an issue.

Your peering-down-the-nose & touch typing skills are still weak I see, padiwan. Although I imagine if Evocron is anything like, say, DCS with the switchery-buggery then forget it. Only @schurem is geared for that kind of crap.

Yeah just using the Navmap alone is a pain in the ass. I mean sure I could use Voice Attack to bring it up, but I’d still need to use the mouse to set a destination.

In better news, my lenses arrived today. They just snap on really easily and OMG I CAN SEE IN VR. I’ve only tried Supernatural with them by MY GOD what a difference. Totally worth the $113 (I got the blue filter as well).

What some of my fellow flight geeks do is set a trackball next to their HOTAS. That’s a mouse that’s always in the same place, so you can reach for it blindly. Another alternative is www.pointCTRL.com which is very nice, but niche. It does not work with all titles.

Sadly voiceattack is no go for me. My Dutch accent is too thick for the bloody thing to deal with. Some commands work fine, but for some mad reason I never could get the awacs to tell me the air situation. I also had a hard time remembering all the code phrases.

from the dev of Stride, this one looks very arcade, but well done

Nah, didn’t see the point

Oh mine is bad but apparently not that bad.

I was using it at first, but I took it out to get closer to the lenses.

I liked the demo:

Some months ago I asked if there was a traditional painting experience. A minigame in Vacation Simulator made me notice how cool could be. Well, there is now:

Hm. Looks like good gameplay. It does have an Alyx feel to it, and of course suffers because of the lack of textures and general detail, but could be nice.

The first game is clearly Half Life inspired, but done by 3 dudes so obviously it’s shorter, it has less polish, worse combat, environments are super sparse, etc… but you could feel they at least tried pretty hard and there were some cool sequences. This is looking an improved version, for example the combat shown is much better: better modeled weapons, with nice reload animations, fire modes, better sound, and the health station indicates it won’t use health regeneration, so it will be eve more like HL.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not running it down. On the contrary, looks like a great effort to make a game with the play of Alyx. No way they could hit that bar as far as textures and detail and etc. We’re still in Quake and Quake-clones on VR, every single A game we get is a treat.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/save-the-date-first-ever-oculus-gaming-showcase-to-be-held-april-21/

Oculus v28 features are being ‘leaked’ by Support

Air Link huh? I wonder if the Virtual Desktop folks are sweating.

I bought VD totally knowing that the chances of Oculus eventually doing the same but officially and for free were high.

That’s awesome. Assuming it works.