Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

My go-to initial demo is still Richie’s Plank Experience, preferably with a real bit of wood.

Especially if the person is not really familiar with video games, since it’s quick to get into, doesn’t require learning any controls (if you start the game for them), and triggers vertigo and fear of heights in a way that normal games don’t.

Strong emotions equals strong impression!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2970998659623177/
I Expect you to Die 2, one of the higest rated games, for just 15€.

How is it with glasses? Does the spacer come with the device?

I assume that the 256 GB is worth an extra hundred bucks.

Most of the reviews made it seem like it wasn’t worth it, but I’m kicking myself for getting the 128gb when it’s clear Quest2 exclusives, that will use the extra horsepower over the old Quest1 hardware, are going to be much, much bigger games.

Steam sales for VR

Can you buy games on the quest 2 on Steam? I would have thought you were tied into the Oculus Store on the Quest 2?

You buy native Quest 2 games directly through the onboard Oculus store; you buy Steam games and play via airlink or cable, where the headset is only acting as the screen, but does none of the processing.

There is a ‘allow unknown sources’ you have to check on the Oculus pc app, once that’s done, the Oculus headsets allow anything.

Thanks for everyone’s patience at all my questions!

That is true, but nothing wowed me like Half Life Alyx. All the games you mention are really good games though and worth it even if we couldn’t play Steam VR games via airlink or cable.

Quest 2 comes with a spacer for glasses, but I haven’t used it.

It’s fine for me, but I have relatively small/narrow glasses. It’s definitely better than the Rift

Quest Black Friday sale is live: Black Friday Sale Experiences | Oculus | Oculus

I recommend

Red Matter
Robo Recall: Unplugged
Blaston
Contractors
Moss
Tetris® Effect: Connected
The Room VR: A Dark Matter
Trover Saves the Universe
Walkabout Mini Golf
SUPERHOT VR
Pistol Whip
STRIDE
Until You Fall
Vacation Simulator

…and In a ‘dark horse’ moment, the most popular new game on Quest these last months haven’t been RE4 VR, but Blade & Sorcery Nomad. Both in number of ratings and number of reviews, despite being on the market 2 weeks less than RE4VR, despite not having the marketing campaign from FB, despite still being on EA, etc.

My Quest 2 arrived this morning. One day from Amazon around Thanksgiving (amazing it got here so quickly).

I set it up and bought Walkabout Mini Golf so far.

Couple of questions:

Should the Safe area light up when I am playing at all times.?At first it seemed to pop up only if I moved out of the safe zone.

I set up my recliner as an alternative zone but wondering if I should just include it in the safety zone.

When I set up my PC to work that is in another room; am I able to have a second safe area when connecting via PC?

Also was trying to purchase Beat Saber but for the life of me there are so many versions I am not sure what are add on packs and which is the actual game.

Impressions:
I have to say it is amazing! I feel I am doing better in VR than I though I would being older etc.

My next step will be to set it up on PC. I will probably go the wired link for now as it seems easier. Try wireless down the road (I do not think I have wireless on my desktop and may have to purchase a card unless there is a USB wireless that I is 5G etc).

Just buy the Beat Saber base game to start, if you think you’d like it (try the demo). It comes with three-ish chapters (6 ish tracks each, I think?) of almost exclusively electronica. It is quite fun, for quick don’t-know-what-to-play ten min sessions. Otherwise all other artists are DLC for additional purchase which you can do in-game. My wife plays this primarily, if it were me I’d spring for GreenDay and Imagine Dragons, but I’ve found Pistol Whip is more my speed for rhythm type games. Note, seems a lot of BeatSaber people move on to Synth Riders and now Smash Drums, which has more music genre variety. My wife is already sniffing around the demos.

I use the ‘include your sofa’ experimental feature, which allows me to draw more of my room as a gamespace (I could have made it as big before, but then I’d have no warning where the sofa is). You could do this with your chair. Note, is is extremely helpful to add a chair or sofa in the overallspace, rather than drawing the guardian around it, since most of the time your flailing would be above it, and so you don’t lose that space, and since it’s soft banging your legs into it isn’t terrible.

I think the Oculus can recognize a few guardian zones around the house.

I had bigger Warby Parker hipster-ish glasses and it was a tight fit even with the glasses spacer, but it still worked well enough. Now I have a smaller / shorter pair of glasses and they fit perfectly.

No, it should only light up when you get close to the edges. Check the settings, I don’t recall anything to ‘always show’ but who knows… Worst comes to worst, you can reset and remake it pretty quick (which you do need to do occasionally as Quest still seems to forget sometimes). There are also advanced options for sensitivity.

As mentioned, just enable the experimental feature to add the recliner and it will show up as an outline in VR, and automatically switch to a stationary non-boundary mode when you sit there. Super feature!

Yes, you can have multiple boundaries, and Quest should switch between them automatically.

There’s also an experimental option to switch pass-through on when you leave a boundary, makes it easier to wander between them without removing the headset (or maybe this is default now, unsure)

You don’t need wireless on the desktop PC - if the PC is wired to the router, that’s probably better. As long as you have a decent modern Wifi, and Quest is not too far from it, it’s really easy to get going.

It comes with four volumes, an extras pack, and the Camelia pack, all included. Those 6 packs include 37 of the best tracks in the game. The campaign is relatively lengthy and a really great way to learn the game and develop skill. (I wish they had one-off scored challenges similar to some of the campaign levels.) Once you beat the campaign, you’ll be ready to play most tracks on Expert, and the game is really designed to sit at the Expert/Expert+ level. Available add-on packs (I have them all):

• Monstercat (must have)
  • Imagine Dragons (meh)
  • Panic at the Disco (meh, though Greatest Showman is a really fun track)
  • Rocket League (must have)
  • Green Day (boring)
  • Timbaland (pretty good)
  • Linkin Park (ok)
  • BTS (pretty good)
  • Interscope (meh)
  • Skrillex (ok)
  • Billie Eilish (ok)

You don’t need any of the add-on packs. There’s plenty of content in the base game. But if you really like an artist grab their pack. And if you just want to get one pack, I think as far as track quality goes, the Monstercat pack has never been beaten. Green Day is the worst: boring and unimaginative patterns, though it’s fun to hear their songs. I wish they’d do a guitar blues or jazz pack. I think solos could be pretty fun. The different packs do kind of emphasize different pattern styles. The Imagine Dragons pack, for instance, is pretty repetitive, but has some difficult and unique crossing patterns that, when mastered, really help you move up to Expert+.

This is how it has worked since the first Quest was released. The experimental feature is/was the double-tap to activate passthrough.

Yeah, if your PC is not wired to the router, the wireless experience to the Quest headset will suffer. The Quest never communicates wirelessly directly to the PC; it’s always through a router. When both legs (PC-router and router-Quest) are wireless, bandwidth and lag suffer.