Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Expect to be doing that fairly regularly… :P

Probably the most annoying thing about the otherwise awesome device, is that it does lose the boundary occasionally, requiring a redraw. Also need to re-add my couch when that happens.

Oddly enough John Carmack has mentioned this as an annoyance, and it’s been one forever, so I guess it’s one of those things that is quite hard to fix!

FTFY. Although, if you’re primarily doing PCVR from your chair, the stationary boundary does not change much.

Thanks Krok! I’ll check those out with the boys, I should probably let them pick at least one game since it’s technically their toy.

No sale on the Occulus store? Didn’t they have one last year? I’ve been eyeing Shadowgate VR: The Mines of Mythrok. Anyone play that yet?

Check back in 1 hour. Normally their daily deal resets at midnight PST, but nothing replaced the one that expired last night. And the current weekly sales end in an hour, so that’s when I would expect a change.

Did they have a holiday sale that I missed?

Holidays sales.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/1141438283057490/?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=1-aw-holidaysale-20211224&utm_term=3&utm_content=quest#/?_k=9pq9qx

Cool, I’m sure I’ll pick it up at some point. I like environmental puzzles too. After Half Life Alex, I think The Room VR is my favorite VR game.

I bought Puzzling Places, and yeah, it’s worth it if you like puzzles. The delicate aural environment and music, the well designed UI, the little touches of how give feedback when joining pieces, the fully featured settings panel, the subgroup feature, it’s all good.

Ok, time to update my list of recommended games for Oculus, now that we are at the end of the year and all that:

Beat Saber (Rhythm)
Powerbeats VR (fitness/rhythm)
The Thrill of fight (boxing, fitness)
Blaston (online action, fitness)
Pistol Whip (arcade/rhythm)

Eleven Table Tennis (sports sim, table tennis)
Black Hole Pool (sports sim, pool)

Resident Evil 4 VR (action/adventure)
Moss (action/adventure)
Trover Saves the Universe (action/adventure, if you like Rick & Morty more swear and dirty side)

InDeath Unchained (action/roguelite, archery)
Superhot VR (action)
Robo Recall (arcade fps)
Stride (arcade fps/platform)
Contractors (online fps)
Gun Raiders (online fps, free)
Yuki (arcade shooter, schmup)
Until you Fall (arcade/roguelite)

Echo VR (online sports, free)
Rec Room (online action/social, free)
Walkabout Minigolf (online sports/social)

Puzzling Places (puzzle)
The Room: A Dark Matter (puzzle)
Shadow Point (adventure/puzzle)
Gadgeteer (puzzle)

The Under Presents (adventure)
Vacation Simulator (adventure/mini games)
Virtual Virtual Reality (adventure)
Red Matter (adventure)
A Fisherman Tale (adventure)

Demeo (tactical, dungeon crawler)

I just picked up Swarm… too many Spider-Man meets Ironman references for me to ignore it.

Kinda tempted by the SW Galaxy edge bundle but while Vader was fun enough it really does feel more like a ride than a game.

On the edge about Until You Fall and Journey of the Gods, wouldn’t mind a sword game less rough around the edges than Battle Trainer.

Been playing tons of WW1 warplanes multiplayer btw, it’s a lot fun with other people. The Flare Frenzy mode is a riot, but there’s always one guy whose got the lead / timing nailed and gets 80% of the kills (that you, Scharmers?)

I’m loving the Quest 2 so far. The whole family is enjoying Beat Saber. Lots of laughing!

I’ve poked around YouTube VR a little. The videos I’ve tried aren’t really 3d. It’s more like sitting in an imax theater. Still cool but not stereoscopic. Are there truly 3d YouTube experiences?

I started Vader Immortal and was blown away by the 3d surroundings. When the droid and other characters start speaking, it’s mesmerizing. I played on Comfortable VR. It took me a while to get the hang of the controls. But after about 25 minutes, in an elevator, I started getting tired and wanted to save and quit. Is there a way to save? I couldn’t find it. I just paused the game using the menu button and turned off the device.

Also, could I play Immortal while sitting? I was a bit worried I would instinctively walk into one of my walls. I did figure out the point-and-release movement UI, but still.

Finally, until Vader, I hadn’t thought to try the kiwi head accessory I bought. Now I might. My head was a bit tired. Though partly I think it’s that my inner ears were a bit jangled. I’m not sick but maybe a tad woozy. I see why people say to start slow.

It’s hard to start slowly after seeing how cool everything is though! I was blown away when I started playing stuff in VR.

Yes, if you use the search I think there’s a filter selection for ‘VR 180’ that is mostly proper stereo stuff.

There are 3D YouTube videos, but they are generally pretty low resolution. There’s also some apps in the Oculus store with higher rez 3D content though.

I recommend checking out Quill stuff. It’s animated so it’s true 3D, you can move all around.

Thanks for all those helpful replies. I’ll check out some of your suggestions.

So is there any app that requires me to stand up? Or do they all work seated, say, in the middle of one’s play zone. I’d like to try Vader sitting down, for example.

More and more games require standing, and some require 6+ feet of space. I don’t know if Oculus tags them in the store specifically for seating, I thought they did.

But most games can still be played seated, even if they suffer a bit. Like Resident Evil 4 has some accessibility options that make it possible. I hear In Death Unchained has a good seated mode?

Good seated games are: I Expect You To Die, Real VR Fishing, Demeo, Moss, Phantom Covert Ops (stealth game where you are sitting in a canoe the whole time, lol.)

If you have a LARGE play area, I really recommend trying Tea for God: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3762343440541585/

There is of course also another vector for very high quality 3D videos, but they’re all of a more… adult nature. :P

Thrill of the fight is the daily deal on Quest, just 5€

It’s really hard to play most games seated since it’s way easier and more natural to turn your head, and therefore your body as well, than to use the thumbstick (although it’s possible thumstick rotation is more efficient for competitive shooters, dunno.) Exceptions are airplane and driving games, given that by their nature, you’re supposed to be fixed in orientation.

Otherwise, Trover Saves the Universe has you playing someone in an armchair (you are the ChairOrphean!) … but I still prefer to stand, to get better views sometimes.