Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I purchased an elite strap, which helped, but I still need to work far harder to reduce blurriness than I remember with the Quest 1. I also need to adjust it to be tighter than I’d like to hold it in place, because if it shifts around on my head even a little bit, I lose the sweet spot.

I haven’t noticed a change in sweet spot between the two. I have a G2 though, so am already used to the worst sweet spot on the market. :P

Maybe I’m not much of a mover and jumper in VR, so it doesn’t shift around much - I am a bit lazy… ;)

I wonder how the upcoming pancake lenses will affect sweet spots?

That’s the Cambria, supposedly releasing in Q2. The much more expensive model, ostensibly not a Quest 3 or Quest Pro in name, but compatible with Quest.

I’m a little assed about this path, I don’t necessarily need a sharper Quest that can read my face, I need something that can be sharper AND play PC titles and push the genre forward to where AAA have to at least consider VR. Instead I’m pretty sure we’re going to get really, really good chat rooms. Like, the best chat rooms, you’ve never seen such cartoon character emotion. HUMBUG!

What, you don’t like conversing with grown men posing as buxom anime girls? That’s a YOU problem.

Pushing toward AAA PC VR games has never really been the FB/Meta endgame, all their hardware will be focused towards implementing their metaverse vision. The face/eye tracking though, will at least enable foveated rendering.

Maybe the rumoured new Valve headset will be your saviour!

Then be happy Sony are making the PSVR2, it may not be PC games but Sony has been pretty good at getting actual good games on even the first lower tech PSVR. Astrobot Rescue Mission and Wipeout Omega Collection were both IMO standouts. It’s also kind of how we got RE7 in VR.

Room capture looks interesting, I wonder what the purpose of that is?

There’s a teaser for the PSVR2 Horizon game

Mixed reality gaming. There are some devs already experimenting with passthrough, like

https://twitter.com/tovanbo/status/1477651762358194177?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1477651762358194177|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fthreadid%3D3901021userid%3D0perpage%3D40pagenumber%3D815

Imagine games where they know where the walls and table are, so monsters can appear from appropriate places…

Ah, nice! I’m guessing newer Quest models/variants will be sporting colour cameras then!

My negative Nelly take on passthrough is that it doesn’t work with a massive headset like we need now, the original promise was something like Google Glass that could be discreetly worn in the real world. Quest has already been working on things like bringing chairs and couches into home spaces to make things more seamless, but that’s really not my jam. I have no interest in wearing a current-gen massive headset while walking around my house, regardless of convenience.

Not big into AR, but I find the current passthrough and couch thing super useful!

If I need to go outside my boundary briefly, I don’t need to remove the headset to see what I’m doing. And if I’ve finished playing a room scale game and want to browse the store or play a seated game, I can just seamlessly plonk down on the couch to do it.

What is tactile feedback on the PSVR2 headset going to do? Let me smack my head on a virtual bookcase as well?

Not 100% functional but looks fun :)

So I played SimplePlanesVR for the first time yesterday. Things were going well until I hit a button that put me in the air behind the plane. Oh nonononono.

Had to cycle through the other views real fast before I was back in the cockpit as it were. I think heights are gonna be the bane of my VR experience for a while.

I recently picked this up too (Eleven Table Tennis) and it is truly incredible how well it matches the experience of playing ping pong in person. It’s super bare-bones, no frills. But it just works. Played for an hour with a buddy yesterday and we only fell over trying to lean on the table to grab a shot once each.

Eleven is great…I play it against the hard AI in my normal gaming rotation on the Q2. Weird cause in real life I have a killer topspin forhand and weak ass backhand but in this game, I rule with my backhand.

I rule with neither hand, and the easy AI kicks my ass consistently. I’m more in the “hey, I can return the ball the other side of the net!” phase of my ping-pong journey, it seems.