Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

A bundle that may interest you

Blaston is good. Trover, Red Matter and Synth Riders are decent.

So far after getting the Quest 2 I’ve mostly revisited games I had for the rift, however after playing a bunch of Ultrawings I decided to look into combat sims and picked up Warplanes: WWI Fighters. So far I’m loving it. Not exactly a realistic sim even in “real war” mode but quite satifying.

Well I gave the Quest 2 a shot. I still have vertigo issues after maybe 10 - 15 minutes. I’ve tried all of the recommended tweaks and they do not help. Looks like I am going to have to wait until they can advance the tech a bit more.

Well, what games you are trying.

The first two weeks I recommend to limit yourself to seated or standing (still) experiences.

It’s odd. I can do crazy manuvers in Uktrawings or Warplanes and nothing, but if I walk across the bar in Asgard’s Wrath and I start to feel funny.

unofficial MInecraft for Quest incoming

‘Recorded on Quest’ but has popups saying ‘use the mouse to turn around’?

I picked up Walkabout Mini Golf recently and I am loving it. Definitely one of my favorite VR games ever.

It does take a few weeks and slightly increasing playtime each session. Give it a chance and stop early, the second you feel discomfort. Let you brain reset and try again the next day.

On the plus side I got mine through Amazon and I have a good return window so I can give it a few weeks to try to adapt. I am unfortunately rather susceptible to vertigo so I may just be one of those unlucky ones. I have watched a few things like live music and stuff and really enjoyed it but anything with motion hits me pretty hard pretty fast. It doesn’t really creep up on me.

I’ve had my eye on that one but I dont want to buy it until I can feel confident that I will be hanging on to the Quest 2. Sadly, there is no demo, Ive heard the game is excellent.

I’m playing a city builder game on the Quest, Spacefolk City.

The good art style, charming little characters and funky music helps a lot into elevating the game beyond what it really is. Which is a very ‘lite’ mini city builder.
It makes a pair of good decisions as it uses more the VR-ness than a normal city builder would have, because you get the resources by literally picking up floating asteroids with your hands and breaking them up, and the game forces your to build vertically, instead of a boring 2d flat plane, so you have more reasons to move in 3d.

Gameplay wise, the reality is, well, the game is very limited. You have houses for your little dudes/dudettes, 3 pop-booster/happiness buildings, 4 utility buildings (some that are really optional) and that’s it. Every house and utility building can be assigned to a type of population so it can be used by them, so in theory you have to balance the population types… maybe? But from what I’ve seen until now, there is no reason to do it, maybe a mission from the six mission campaign have a goal built around that concept. They all do the same and their needs are the same.

The game also includes a series of platforms, bridges, stairs and even zip lines to move between places, which they have to be used because the verticality I’ve mentioned. However some of the elements can be a pain to use, with your little dudes not being able to cross spaces that you think they should be able to cross, or they are very slow to traverse. Or sometimes I want something to cross a little gap between to islands that are a slightly different height and there is no adequate construction for it. Well, I’m lying, the solution is the zip line. The issue is, the solution is ALWAYS the zip line (cheap, fast, it goes through different heights, it can be used in the two directions), so all the other ways of ‘locomotion’ like vertical stairs and slides, etc, are irrelevant. For a strategy game, or even for a sandbox game about creatively building a space city, that’s bad. I wish I could make a little bridge where I indicate the starting and end point and the length and inclination adjusts automatically (up to a point).

The game is also ‘lite’ in another sense, it is limited to small scenarios, as you can only build around 4 pillars that give energy. So no bi~ er…, medium cities for you. I understand this is because limits with the Quest hardware more than anything, but I think Quest 2 should be able to do a bit more, and obviously the pc version should be able to handle a much bigger scope.

It’s an unofficial mod/wrapper that runs the Java version on Quest. So the popups from the original version have not changed.

And now I am flipping like a pancake. After a few days of play lighter stuff including the excellent VR tutorial that allows you to play with the controllers a bit by throwing paper airplanes and playing a target shooting game, it seems like my vertigo like symptoms are lessening. If this trend continues I think Ill keep the system. It probably helps that I have the head set a bit more dialed in as I had a slight amount of blurriness at first. I got my add on Kiwi head strap a few days after I got the Quest and that helps a ton over the stock strap. Thanks for the recommendation to give it a bit of time.

If William Gibson could see this :/

Can’t believe this will work. But keen to try!

Well, since I have become accustomed to VR and am now keeping the Quest 2 I decided to accessorize. I got the previously mentioned Kiwi head strap and its far better than the stock strap. I also ordered a new facial interface. After looking at several I went with the AMVR Resilient Face cover. It comes with 7 parts and its supposed to he highly customizable. Well apparently Amazon sent me a returned product because the one I got had obviously been previously opened and was missing half the parts, including the set up manual. I am guessing someone ordered it, stripped it for parts and then returned it. So thanks, Amazon! I really didnt want a “slightly used”, incomplete facial insert. So I sent it back and ordered the VR Cover Fitness Interface instead. Hopefully this one is actually an unused product.

Anyway are there any other “must have” accessories I should be looking at?

If you wear eyeglasses you might want to get prescription lenses made.

Plus protectors for the handles especially the rim as they are supposed to be the weakest point.

I also bought a rack that holds everything.

Thanks. Im looking into prescription lenses and actually already had an eye exam scheduled for this Thursday before I got the Quest 2, so I will probably order some once I have the new script. I didnt even think about hand grips but I checked into them and yeah, those look like a good idea.

This Vox Machinae seems pretty cool, releasing on Quest 2 and PC with a new single player campaign. Mech simulator cockpit game? Yes please.

Vox Machinae is an excellent game, even if you play it against bots. Very satisfying mech combat and you really feel like you’re in a mech. It also has interesting play options like you can get in a driller mech and fly around and try to land on other mechs and drill them to death.

I don’t know if the multiplayer is still alive, but the new single player campaign is just gravy on top of an already great experience.

OMG it’ll finally have single player? Sold!